Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Wouldn't mind seeing an updated version of this group.

The Liberators
    The Wasp (Janet)
    Valkyrie
    Medusa
    Black Widow
    Scarlet Witch

Edit: Special shout out to the individuals who keep insisting that classic Marvel comics weren't political in any way, shape, or form.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 12-15-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Vengeance, the original one with the brutal, trippy motorcycle, not the green guy.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

The Liberators
    The Wasp (Janet)
    Valkyrie
    Medusa
    Black Widow
    Scarlet Witch

Edit: Special shout out to the individuals who keep insisting that classic Marvel comics weren't political in any way, shape, or form.
    Would love to see that team again together

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Hmm...I haven't seen Bill Foster for a while, does he count? Or have I missed the issue where he came back?

Astonishing Member

The Liberators
    The Wasp (Janet)
    Valkyrie
    Medusa
    Black Widow
    Scarlet Witch

of course some books had politics in them, Henry gyrich in avengers is a very strong example

what I do think has been more extant in recent years, is that some books had comments on real world situations by some creative external to the internal mythos

And I do think some books became somewhat preachy as appose to using real world situations as a stimulus and using internal mythos analogy to tell a story

or I suppose what I mean is that some books were being used to expound the views of the creators about their real world views rather than finding inspiration from the real world and producing in mythos analogy

the good or bad of that is up for debate and certainly it might just be that we as readers are just more aware of it

I feel

Certainly some classic books were explicit propaganda pieces by design given the world period they were made in, and I'm not just thinking marvel here

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Would love to see that team again together
    jen sort of put one together during the red hulk run, and I always though A Force was an update on this idea

I liked the first couple arcs of that book a lot

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Lady Liberators already came back as Fraction's Defenders and A-Force.

Where's Black Knight?

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    of course some books had politics in them, Henry gyrich in avengers is a very strong example
    Just read where he was involved in Winter Soldier being sent to that Russian gulag back in 2011's Captain America run, and now I'm thinking / afraid to see how Gyrich would fit in to our current PoTUS' administration.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

what I do think has been more extant in recent years, is that some books had comments on real world situations by some creative external to the internal mythos

And I do think some books became somewhat preachy as appose to using real world situations as a stimulus and using internal mythos analogy to tell a story

or I suppose what I mean is that some books were being used to expound the views of the creators about their real world views rather than finding inspiration from the real world and producing in mythos analogy

the good or bad of that is up for debate and certainly it might just be that we as readers are just more aware of it

I feel

Certainly some classic books were explicit propaganda pieces by design given the world period they were made in, and I'm not just thinking marvel here
    Most mythical struggles are political struggles. I think far too often readers gloss over that fact, so that when a writer does smack them squarely in the nose with something more substantive than a passing allusion, they reject, deflect, or disengage. You've somehow ruined the matrix for them.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Most mythical struggles are political struggles. I think far too often readers gloss over that fact, so that when a writer does smack them squarely in the nose with something more substantive than a passing allusion, they reject, deflect, or disengage. You've somehow ruined the matrix for them.
    Yeah it's more overt now I feel in its commentary if the real world, it feels like it's tacked on in many ways im8

For me that's less fun as it feels like the writer is trying to convince me of their point of view, which is probably unfair of me

that said I'm fine with real world politics commentary in my books, I just don't find the current way it feels preachy to me to my taste

Of course others feel differently

The Liberators
    The Wasp (Janet)
    Valkyrie
    Medusa
    Black Widow
    Scarlet Witch

And call them Justice Warriors ?
    Last edited by joebleau; 12-16-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Hmm...I haven't seen Bill Foster for a while, does he count? Or have I missed the issue where he came back?
    Hasn't he been dead since the first Civil War?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I feel certainly some classic books were explicit propaganda pieces by design given the world period they were made in, and I'm not just thinking marvel here
    No sh*t...

97_4_0000058.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    And call them Justice Warriors ?
    wasn't that Vance Astrovik's team?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hasn't he been dead since the first Civil War?
    he's a digital consciousness thanks to Hank Pym playing god. it's Tom's story now. he's out of prison.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just read where he was involved in Winter Soldier being sent to that Russian gulag back in 2011's Captain America run, and now I'm thinking / afraid to see how Gyrich would fit in to our current PoTUS' administration.
    coincidentally, I read that story over the weekend (great stuff). Gyrich had a lot of Russian friends.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 12-17-2018 at 09:01 AM.