Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Marvel LGBT Discussion

So tonight on the The Boondocks there was a dialogue on the word "gay" and the community of African-Americans and the LGBT community. It raised a lot of good questions, and I wanted to see what my fellow Marvel fans thought about our favorite Queer Mutants, Avengers, and reg ol' Joes of the 616.

This is not an Appreciation thread, but a thread where we can exchange DIFFERENT ideas, thoughts and civil debates with fellow members of our CBR community.

Should Marvel make an A-list X-man gay in order to provide more visibility to their LGBT community?

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

No they should put that rainbow girl from the Runaways in the Avengers that would get them talking. Karolina Dean is her name out of respect for runaway fans.

BANNED

I think that commercial an critical failure of Avengers Arena, Avengers A.I. and Avengers Undercover shows that Runaways fans don't like members of that group being randomly dragged into Avengers books (assuming they weren't pissed enough to just walk away from the company as whole). If we want Karolina on Avengers it should get proper buildup first.

Personally, I would like to get Xavin back. And more Moondragon.

WELCOME TO THE THREAD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    I think that commercial an critical failure of Avengers Arena, Avengers A.I. and Avengers Undercover shows that Runaways fans don't like members of that group being randomly dragged into Avengers books (assuming they weren't pissed enough to just walk away from the company as whole). If we want Karolina on Avengers it should get proper buildup first.

Personally, I would like to get Xavin back. And more Moondragon.
    I don't think Avengers...Arena, A.I. and Undercover were "failures" because of Runaways. I Liked the premise of Avengers Academy, esp the follow up book Undercover. I think Karolina needs to get her powers defined more before joining the big leagues.

Speaking of Rainbow Queer Girls being on he Avengers team, You guys don't think Julie Power should get a push before Karolina/She was around since he 80's and I feel is a more likeable character. In regards to Xavin I think that characters is best left in limbo. The Skrull thing seems to be a bad example of diversity without really taking risks.

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    WELCOME TO THE THREAD!!!!

I don't think Avengers...Arena, A.I. and Undercover were "failures" because of Runaways. I Liked the premise of Avengers Academy, esp the follow up book Undercover. I think Karolina needs to get her powers defined more before joining the big leagues.

Speaking of Rainbow Queer Girls being on he Avengers team, You guys don't think Julie Power should get a push before Karolina/She was around since he 80's and I feel is a more likeable character. In regards to Xavin I think that characters is best left in limbo. The Skrull thing seems to be a bad example of diversity without really taking risks.
    Karolina never struck me as the heroing type. She participated with the heroics amongst her fellow runaways but she seems less interested in that aspect of their lives.
    JULIE on the other hand -- particularly evidenced in the Avengers Academy-- continues to prove her heroism and I would definitely support seeing her getting more publicity. Additionally, I hope their relationship continues to flourish, as I actually very much enjoy the dynamic between two super powered individuals -- who are also a couple -- where one of them is a super hero and the other shows little interest -- kind of like Luke and Jessica.

And since Xavin was brought up, I'd also love to see her return and join the Young Avengers as MAC's romantic interest.
    Two otherworldly former Princess types, unexpectedly associated with associated teams of teen heroes? Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    Should Marvel make an A-list X-man gay in order to provide more visibility to their LGBT community?
    Bi Wolverine. Claremont originally intended him to be bi and there's this:

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I wouldn't be in favour of Marvel turning any character gay unless they can make it work. So, in regards Iceman, if they could do it and find a way that it made sense and was an entertaining and/or thought provoking read, I'd be down with it.

However if they just did a one issue coming out story then hardly ever mentioned it again, what would be the point?

Julie and Karolina would be a great couple to use as focus, as can Billy and Teddy, although with those two, there has been so much focus on their relationship I think the pair need an adventure where something is happening to them that is about other things - the Kree/Skrull reaction to Teddy being gay for example - so that is is a part of the character, but it doesnt keep being their defining trait.

As for Xavin, I never felt that character was handled well, never felt that character really promoted transgenderism (there wasn't really a transgender debate or struggle, just 'I can change shape for you we can be together') and actually felt the storyline had nothing to do with the actual struggle of transgendered folk. It was transgender in look only rather than any actual issues or debate around the issue dealt with. As such, Xavin can stay gone and Marvel can look to do a real story about a transgendered hero, or even villain, where the character goes through the debates and issues of actually changing sex, not just shape shifting.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

Most of the prominent X-Men or X-Women have been depicted as hetero for so long, that I don't think it would work to all of a sudden turn one of them gay.

Now if they decided to turn Pixie, Jubilee, or any of the newer X-Men gay, maybe they could pull it off.

Ultimate Member

Especially since Jubilee is a vampire, which kind of gives them a built-in excuse. Also clarification, Julie Power is NOT a lesbian, she's bisexual. I noticed some people here talking like she was.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Especially since Jubilee is a vampire, which kind of gives them a built-in excuse. Also clarification, Julie Power is NOT a lesbian, she's bisexual. I noticed some people here talking like she was.
    Ya think?

Calling Arena a "Critical" faliure is something of a strech considering the writter got awarded "Most promising talent" for his work on it, and Arena also made it into CBR 100 best series of 2013
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

And now that we're talking of vampire Jubilee
    3862386.jpg

That one is never going to get old, specially when Logan dies and Jubes is going to need a new "Donor"
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Karolina never struck me as the heroing type. She participated with the heroics amongst her fellow runaways but she seems less interested in that aspect of their lives.
    JULIE on the other hand -- particularly evidenced in the Avengers Academy-- continues to prove her heroism and I would definitely support seeing her getting more publicity. Additionally, I hope their relationship continues to flourish, as I actually very much enjoy the dynamic between two super powered individuals -- who are also a couple -- where one of them is a super hero and the other shows little interest -- kind of like Luke and Jessica.
    Just to be 100% superficial, Karolina, particularly as she was most recently depicted in Young Avengers, is visually *gorgeous.*

Julie Power is, nine times out of ten, deadly dull to look at on the page. I think I liked her better with the density-shifting cloud-form stuff, since that was at least interesting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Damn, I had completely forgotten about the whole Jubilee vampire mess. That would just make her too much of a cliché. Ok, so no, Jubes is not gay.