BANNED

Default Need some help with X-Men reading

Hey guys, huge fan of the X-Men here and I was looking for some recommendations on what to read.

Some background, they are my favorite Marvel property and I own more X-Men tpbs than any other comic. And I own a LOT of comics. I have the entire AoA epic, I have Dark Phoenix and DOFP, I have a tpb that collects the first 7 issues of Claermont/Lee run, I have Mutant Massacre, I have Xtinction Agenda I have the first volume of Onslaught, I have the first volume of Astonishing, I have the storyline where Colossus dies, I have Deadly Genesis, Phoenix Endsong, Age of X, and all of Uncanny X-Force. I used to have Morrison's entire run but 5 of the volumes were stolen. I am not counting any of the XMen solo books by the way.

Anyway I am looking for more. I have this MASSIVE leather hardcover book which is basically an encyclopedia on the X-Men. I have cherished it since I was a little boy and I used to flip through it constantly. But some of the stories have me so interested. It made me realize there is so much more I should be reading. Like apparently there's a series featuring Havok stuck on another earth? That sounds cool. And I'm so interested in Cable (my favorite character next to Cyclops) . I want to read most of what the 1992 animated series is based on, so mostly the 80s/90s stuff.

Someone told me to check out X-Men Apocalypse: The Twelve, is it worth checking out? Any recs are appreciated, I'll flip through that big book again to make a full list of what I really want.

EDIT: I guess I just want a list of trades that will help me fully understand and appreciate the X-Men's history. I really love Cyclops and Cable to anything with them is a bonus. I want to understand all of the time travel, cloning, wacky craziness in the X books because some of it looks so cool to me. I saw some pages drawn by Arthur Adams that looked gorgeous and I want to read the story about Havok on another earth.
    Last edited by Elmo; 04-26-2016 at 04:52 PM.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Regarding Arthur Adams:

- Longshot Limited Series (1984-85): Introducing our favorite alien (with Warlock's permission) in this young artist's first work --you will be amazed of his improvement from #1 to #6.

- The New Mutants Special Edition + UXM Annual #9 (1985): Both of them make together Asgardian Wars, a wonderful baroque masterpiece and thrilling story.

- UXM Annual #10 (1986): Longshot joins the X-Men and all of them revert to babies.

- UXM Annual #12 (1988): IMHO, his peak as an artist, as he refines and simplifies his someway excessive line (Wiacek's inking got something to do with it).

Only in order to complete, since they're minor pieces:

- Web of Spider-Man Annual #2 (1986): TNM meet Spidey.

- Excalibur One-Shot #1 (1989): The X-Babies strike back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    EDIT: I guess I just want a list of trades that will help me fully understand and appreciate the X-Men's history. I really love Cyclops and Cable to anything with them is a bonus. I want to understand all of the time travel, cloning, wacky craziness in the X books because some of it looks so cool to me. I saw some pages drawn by Arthur Adams that looked gorgeous and I want to read the story about Havok on another earth.
    Sounds like you'd enjoy The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix. It's Jean and Scott raising young Cable in his past/their future.

The Cable and Deadpool series has a lot of fans around here and did some good work with Nathan.

You'd probably also want the Cable/Hope Summers saga -- Messiah Complex, the Duane Swierczynski run on Cable, Second Coming, Generation Hope (this is pretty skipable, though), Cable and X-Force, and the Spurrier run on X-Force.

My advice would be to drop $10 on a month of Marvel Unlimited, read the lot of them, then decide which ones you like enough to purchase for your bookshelf.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

It sounds like you would probably enjoy Simonson's X-Factor run, as far as I know it's only collected in the Essentials series. The AU with Havok is called Mutant X, and I don't think it has been collected. So, as Anduinel said, Marvel Unlimited would probably be your best bet.