Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

War comics aren't usually my thing, but I like the price and the creative team.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Mighty Member

Default Star Spangled Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    And that was the key problem with G.I. Combat: DC promoted the lead — "The War That Time Forgot" — without really understanding that (a) the leads lacked any personality or personal traits to make you want to follow them, (b) the level of threat didn't come through, leaving you no interest in whether they succeeded or not, and (c) there was no overarching plot in it.

"Unknown Soldier," in contrast, opened with the mystery of who he was, and the threat of terrorism approaching. Each issue ended on enough of a cliffhanger to make you want to tune in more.

That "The Haunted Tank" seemed more for comedy didn't help give the one story that deserved to keep going from staying in print.

The fact that Brian's analysis of all 3 parts of the original G.I Combat is so incorrect and offbase is why most of us who follow DC on occasion have almost given up on DC. What is the problem with the DC fan base that quality title after quality title bites the dust and creative teams are left with this Zombie nonsense to boost sales? I read G.I. Combat in trade and it nowhere resembles what Brian has described here. Basically the majority of fan and casual DC readers are buying Bat books and only Bat books which makes any attempt to do anything different a waste of time. Let's steal the Marvel Zombie shtick and run with it. This is a crap concept but it's what the DC readership have left us with.

Sounds funky crazy and I love bizarreness like this. P&G are always good.

Spectacular Member Tula's boyfriend's Avatar

I think this series can work because it is a blend of genres...plain old war books are just not going to sell in this day and age in the long run.

All-New Member Judge-Sergeant-Marron's Avatar

Sounds decent enough. I'm not a fan of mashing other genres with war and western as it comes off as cheap, but I trust Palmiotti and Gray enough to do something interesting with it. Especially if they can tie this character and his cast into the larger part of the DCU.

Hoping for the best but fully expecting an early cancellation, as I've experienced with all of the Nu52 genre ventures.

All-New Member

This sounds pretty bad, so me can wait to get it. Me hate that DC keeps taking bold chances on relatively uncommercial genres. Me also don't think All Star Western would sell more if it were priced 2.99. Me totally understand why it is 3.99

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    The fact that Brian's analysis of all 3 parts of the original G.I Combat is so incorrect and offbase is why most of us who follow DC on occasion have almost given up on DC. What is the problem with the DC fan base that quality title after quality title bites the dust and creative teams are left with this Zombie nonsense to boost sales? I read G.I. Combat in trade and it nowhere resembles what Brian has described here. Basically the majority of fan and casual DC readers are buying Bat books and only Bat books which makes any attempt to do anything different a waste of time. Let's steal the Marvel Zombie shtick and run with it. This is a crap concept but it's what the DC readership have left us with.
    Zombie nonsense? It does not make any less sense than a comic about an alien with an S on his chest who was rocketed to Earth from a distant planet whose people look like humans and speak English.

Fantastic Member

This is kind of disgusting. Just sayin'.

Mighty Member

This actually sounds awesome. Love horror stuff.