View Poll Results: Who is the greater Marvel villain… Magneto or Dr. Doom?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Master of Magnetism, Magneto

16 42.11%
  • The former monarch of Latveria, Dr. Doom

18 47.37%
  • Both are equally great

4 10.53%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Who is the greater villain in the history of Marvel....Magneto or Doom?

i don't think there is a very much a dispute that these two characters, Magneto and Doom are by far the 2 most popular and widely revered Marvel villains in the history of the company

who do you consider to be the greater villain..

This is not asking who is more powerful, or who is more intelligent...this is no rumble

but simply who is more iconic, who has been written better, greater character development and has been presented as the better villain

BANNED

taking both histories into account

I'm going with Doom on this, especially having read Secret Wars and the fact that Magneto really hasn't been a villain for a while now and can be viewed more as an anti-hero similar to say the Punisher or Nighthawk.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

If we are going pure comic books, I would pick Doom.

But if we are talking all media, then Magneto BY FAR.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    If we are going pure comic books, I would pick Doom.

But if we are talking all media, then Magneto BY FAR.
    Agreed, since as noted by sifighter Magneto hasn't been a straight up villain for a while now. Maybe it should be a Doom vs Thanos comparison

But sadly in both cases when it comes to the films, Doom hasn't made it out of the starting blocks. Fox is calling him Doom but it's DINO. At least the earlier Fox films made some small effort and the director's heart was in he right place. All the scripts for the 3 FF movies have been of lesser quality than Fox's X-men films IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Agreed, since as noted by sifighter Magneto hasn't been a straight up villain for a while now. Maybe it should be a Doom vs Thanos comparison

But sadly in both cases when it comes to the films, Doom hasn't made it out of the starting blocks. Fox is calling him Doom but it's DINO. At least the earlier Fox films made some small effort and the director's heart was in he right place. All the scripts for the 3 FF movies have been of lesser quality than Fox's X-men films IMO.

do you think we can argue that Magneto has been the best written villain in all of Marvel

i mean alot of that is just good writers happened to write more for Mags than Doom...but still

King Doom.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Magneto.

Even though Doom has greater presence in comics, Magneto took a life of his own on outside print. They simply haven't figured out how to translate Doom across media anywhere near as well and invariably he comes across as a goofy fellow in film. Some of it is the writers fault in Marvel as he became a pastiche of magic tech and all things smartly evil and lost a lot of focus as a character. You wish Bruce Timm would come along and distill Doom down to his essential self for a good story.

However, how sad a state of affairs when Marvel doesn't have all rights to their two greatest villains for film and TV?
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Magneto
    Doom is a hero.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    However, how sad a state of affairs when Marvel doesn't have all rights to their two greatest villains for film and TV?
    Best thing that ever happened to super hero movies honestly
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

When was the last time Magneto was a true villain? Seems like it has been decades.

Across all media Magneto.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    do you think we can argue that Magneto has been the best written villain in all of Marvel

i mean alot of that is just good writers happened to write more for Mags than Doom...but still
    Besides Stan Lee, Doom has had writers like Gerry Conway, Roy Thomas, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Jonathan Hickman, Roger Stern, Christopher Priest, John Byrne and even Chris Claremont in his FF run. I'd say that is a pretty good group right there.

No. When Magneto was a villain he never rivaled Doom's versatility and scope. He mostly stayed in the X-titles and never went up against the sheer volume and variety of opponents. With Magneto it was mostly good mutant vs bad mutant.

Doom has his main rivalry with the Fantastic Four but he can be considered a major adversary to Iron Man. It's a shame that Marvel Studios can't use him in Iron Man movies because it's always been an interesting match up in the comics.

He's faced the Avengers, the X-Men, the first Beyonder, taken the power of the Silver Surfer, outplayed Mephisto to win the redemption of his mother's soul, and just for fun kept Nicky Fury tied in knots thinking he was fighting the Yellow Claw went it was really Doom playing a game with the Prime Mover.
    He gave Spider-Man a thrashing in ASM #350, fought the Red Skull on the moon in SVTU and left him buried under some moon rocks, made short work out of Blastaar in the Negative Zone and to top it off he turned the Beyonders own weapon against them to thwart their plans for the Multiverse.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-27-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Mighty Member

Magneto's whole appeal is that you're never sure (outside of a few writers) quite how to feel about him. At the very least, he's a more complex villain than Doom.

BANNED

Going by their fanbase, neither is or has ever been a villain, and they're two of the purest, noblest heroes in the history of fiction.