Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need some tips and pointers for my DC Comics collection...

OK guys here's what's up. I'm trying to build an epic DC Comics collection. Not individual issues, trade paperbacks and graphic novels. I've got over 50 of the New 52 books, I'm collecting the Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels partwork...
    However - there is one other particular era I want to concentrate on in addition to these. That's the 80's up until the early 90's. This is the era I grew up with.
    So far I'm collecting New Teen Titans (got all four Marv Wolfman TPBs), Suicide Squad (three TPBs of that) and all 8 volumes of John's Byrne's post crisis Superman: The Man Of Steel.
    What I'm looking for is classic Batman from this era. They don't seem to be published in TPBs like the ones I've previously mentioned. (Please feel free to suggest other titles too)

This comic book collection is a dream of mine. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

I believe the first three would be...
    Batman: Year One
    Batman: Year Two
    Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast

There's a lot of stuff from that era that hasn't been collected, btw.

If you're okay with floppies, you can start with either Batman #401 and Detective Comics #568 (both Legends tie-ins and pretty much the beginning of Post-Crisis Batman) or skip those and start with Batman #404 (Year One) and Detective Comics #575 (Year Two).
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-27-2016 at 02:12 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I believe the first three would be...
    Batman: Year One
    Batman: Year Two
    Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast
    Thanks Dude, I'll get on it.

There's a lot of stuff from that era that hasn't been collected, btw.
    I really wish they would sort that. Put that era out in TPBs like John Byrne's post crisis run. I can remember some great stories from that time.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

start with Batman #404 (Year One) and Detective Comics #575 (Year Two).
    I've got the tpb of Year One - but the one of Year Two seems rare and expensive. Usually that's in indication it's about to be republished so I'll wait on it for a bit.
    I'm not really into individual comics. I much prefer TPBs or Graphic Novels.
    They're a pain in the butt to find storage for in my house.
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...atman-len-wein

Tales of the Batman by Len Wein... It collects from the late 70's into the early 80's.
    You should pick it up quite cheap from Amazon and it's great value with about 630 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...atman-len-wein

Tales of the Batman by Len Wein... It collects from the late 70's into the early 80's.
    You should pick it up quite cheap from Amazon and it's great value with about 630 pages.
    Dude... you have just become my new best friend! I think this is pretty much what I'm looking for! Found it for a very reasonable price too! Nice one!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

You should think about getting

Suicide Squad- Trial by fire
    Suicide Squad- Nightshade Odysee
    Suicide Squad- Rogues

those 1988 trades (reprints) by John Ostrander aged pretty damn well and make the New52 version look bad

also LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT ALAN DAVIS and TALES OF THE BATMAN DON NEWTON
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-27-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You should think about getting

Suicide Squad- Trial by fire
    Suicide Squad- Nightshade Odysee
    Suicide Squad- Rogues

those 1988 trades (reprints) by John Ostrander aged pretty damn well and make the New52 version look bad
    I own them sir. Funnily enough the third one of those arrived today!

also LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT ALAN DAVIS and TALES OF THE BATMAN DON NEWTON
    Already seen those on Amazon. Bit pricey - but they're on my wishlist. Thanks dude!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
    I own them sir. Funnily enough the third one of those arrived today!
    No problem. I'm reading a lot of SS and related for the upcoming movie. The Ales Kot written trade DISCIPLINE AND PUNISH(New52) was great and the current issues by Tim Seeley are too. Sadly both of those runs got cut short too early. There's a healthy dose of Deadshot moments in SECRET SIX by Gail Simone. The first two trades are "Villains United" and "Money for murder". Depending on whether you like Simone's humor you'll love or hate the book.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-27-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Justice League International the Giffen/DeMatties/Maguire run. It was one of the best books DC was putting out at the time. There are 6 trades that collect the first 35 issues of Justice League and the first 11 issues of Justice League Europe. Batman was really the only big name member of the team except for maybe the Martian Manhunter and the book was awesome.

No problem. I'm reading a lot of SS and related for the upcoming movie. The Ales Kot written trade DISCIPLINE AND PUNISH(New52) was great and the current issues by Tim Seeley are too. Sadly both of those runs got cut short too early. There's a healthy dose of Deadshot moments in SECRET SIX by Gail Simone. The first two trades are "Villains United" and "Money for murder". Depending on whether you like Simone's humor you'll love or hate the book.
    I've got the first two New 52 titles in my collection. Not gotten around to reading any 52 though... waiting till I've got two shelves full.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Justice League International the Giffen/DeMatties/Maguire run. It was one of the best books DC was putting out at the time. There are 6 trades that collect the first 35 issues of Justice League and the first 11 issues of Justice League Europe. Batman was really the only big name member of the team except for maybe the Martian Manhunter and the book was awesome.
    Wow thanks dude!

I've ordered Volume 1 of Superman And The Justice League Of America. The first trade was published fairly recently. Really looking forward to digging into that. Seems to have many of the same characters from the title you mention. I remember reading these as a kid.
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Sorry to bump such an ancient thread, but I'm pleased to discover that TPBs of Batman's post crisis 80's adventures are finally being published! I'm collecting them all! YAY!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

If you want a really comprehensive collection, you'd be remiss without James Robinson's Starman omnibuses. They're expensive, and might be hard to find now (I dont know) but that series is one of the highlights of DC and no fan should be without that exceptional series.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If you want a really comprehensive collection, you'd be remiss without James Robinson's Starman omnibuses. They're expensive, and might be hard to find now (I dont know) but that series is one of the highlights of DC and no fan should be without that exceptional series.
    I only really know Starman from Krisis Of The Krimson Kryptonite (a classic). I may look into this. Cheers fella!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Another series from the 80's you could try is Denny O'Neil's The Question. The entire series is collected in 6 volumes entitled:
    - Vol.1: Zen & Violence!
    - Vol.2: Poisoned Ground!
    - Vol.3: Epitaph for a Hero!
    - Vol.4: Welcome to Oz!
    - Vol.5: Riddles!
    - Vol.6: The Peacemaker!
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-20-2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added more words.