Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What are some things you cant stand about comic book shops?

For me, I still cant stand it when a comic book shop when there's the dreaded wall of old old 20-35 year old back issues that are put on a wall thats really high where I am 5'5, i cant reach the damn comics on that high wall.

Why do comic book store workers do that sort of thing where theres always that wall of doom where they just have to put old comic books on the damn wall a couple of feet inchers high on the wall pretty much way up to the damn ceiling?

You expect me and others who are 5'5 or shorter to stand tippy toe or whatever? Well I cant. Im 5'5 I cant go any higher for crying out loud just to reach a crusty old comic book back issue that must be like 25-40 years old way too high on the damn wall.

The amount of short people you have to strech over just to reach comics on the top shelf.
    Like, what? Just cos im tall i should have to put up with the hassle of navigating the minefield of those hopping shire-folk like some kinda Stiltman homage?

BANNED

Well im 5'5. I get tired of seeing the dread wall of old crusty comic books that are like 25-40 years old really high on the wall.

I cant reach that high. My arms are short also. I cant reach that damn far at all.

I haven't been in one in several years; but, I was never fond of a place where the owner or employees barely acknowledged you. Given that comics are a niche market, you'd think it would be obvious that customer service would go a long way. The best stores are staffed by people who enjoy interacting with potential customers, are polite and helpful, and see if they can sell you something you would like. Also, organization and a clean shop goes a long way. Fair pricing is another. I've seen places expecting customers to pay mint prices for very good quality comics. Also, if it's a current books, it should be cover price. Demand hasn't outstripped supply yet.

The worst is the shop where the staff and regulars act like some elitist group, looking down on someone else's taste or preferences. Everyone has their own favorite. Also, if the shop owner can't discourage vulgar behavior, it's probably not a very good store.

My favorite stores are always those that have a wide variety of material and genres, friendly staff, a clean and organized store, and make the hunt and the purchase feel special.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

All of them disappearing and turning into game shops.

Are they the more expensive ones? They probably don't want anyone touching them, unless you plan and buying and een then ask for help before touching.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

While I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my LCS, I will say some other comic shops I've been to over the years have been less then stellar. I went to one once that was just a plain mess, comics were piled up on the floor by boxes and the whole place seemed like it could care less if it was in business or not.

Other then that there was this one I went to when I was first getting seriously into comic collecting that was so dusty I could hardly breath.

So yea, I guess my biggest peeve would be stores who just let themselves go to rot.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I haven't been to a comic shop in years. Someone mentioned 'shire folk' earlier in this thread, and he's not far off if you're thinking of short, hairy people who seem really shy. Unless there's a movie, comic event, or television series doing something they don't approve of, in which case they won't shut the hell up.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

My personal thing that irks me and I have brought this up with friends is when a comic shop shares its space with a game card deal. Look I understand that the 2 need each other to survive and I willingly admit that a pure comic shop in towns need the card games of Magic and more. But what grinds my gears is when the gaming stuff becomes way more important than actual comics and back issues the shop gets.

Like comically when a shop get a set of year 2000 comics to today and then you have the shop and its folks spend months telling you , "Well once we get around to pricing the issues , then we'll let ya look at em."

And this is months folks and a few long boxes. Its lazy as **** behavior and I have seen it countless times in the shops I have been to. The people would rather go play some Magic than actually going through issues and seeing if people want to buy anything. Instead they sit in long boxes behind the counter , gathering dust ....but hey you sure can enjoy the card games with your buddies right ?

Now I'm not blasting folks who do enjoy the games. I just get tired of the businesses who have people running the shop and its ran for fun. With an attitude of , ME WORK ? **** no....I gotta play with my friends.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

No competition.

My shop is literally the only shop in 200 miles any direction. Thus no competition, thus no special deals for box holders, thus none of the bennies I often hear about on this board for box holders. Its full cover price 100% all the time for those at my shop. Caveat: I dropped the habit five months ago: Hello my name is Jedi and I haven't bought a comic in five months. Hi Jedi. The main reason is definitely the cost was no longer worth the value though I'd argue that the overall value has actually increased the last few years . . . it just took me, like a typical junkie, a few false starts to finally get clean. Though does it truly count as being clean since at the same time I dropped my monthlies I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited?

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    I haven't been in one in several years; but, I was never fond of a place where the owner or employees barely acknowledged you. Given that comics are a niche market, you'd think it would be obvious that customer service would go a long way. The best stores are staffed by people who enjoy interacting with potential customers, are polite and helpful, and see if they can sell you something you would like.
    I agree, but it is a fine balancing act. I vastly prefer shop staff to ignore me than badger me. Badgering me is a guaranteed way to make me leave a shop.

The worst is the shop where the staff and regulars act like some elitist group, looking down on someone else's taste or preferences. Everyone has their own favorite. Also, if the shop owner can't discourage vulgar behavior, it's probably not a very good store.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by dancj; 05-03-2016 at 05:01 AM.

The very limited American offer.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I agree, but it is a fine balancing act. I vastly prefer shop staff to ignore me than badger me. Badgering me is a guaranteed way to make me leave a shop.
    The worst is the shop where the staff and regulars act like some elitist group, looking down on someone else's taste or preferences. Everyone has their own favorite. Also, if the shop owner can't discourage vulgar behavior, it's probably not a very good store.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.[/QUOTE]

I agree about badgering, though I never encountered that at comic shops. It was always video stores and video departments of places like Best Buy and Circuit City. A lot of it was loss prevention activities; but, I liked to browse and buy something that catches my eye. If I came for a particular item, I am usually moving faster than the clerk, trying to locate it, buy it and get home to watch it.

Back in my collecting days, I had my list and I would go down the line. The good shops would offer to hold my stack for me, while I continued searching. I could hear the register bells going off in their heads.

One of the best shops I used to go to was the Heroes Aren't Hard to Find shop, in Charlotte, NC. I was stationed in Charleston, SC, while in the Navy, and used to drive 3 hours to go back issue hunting there (stopping halfway in Columbia, SC, to hit a couple of stores there). They always had a fantastic selection, in affordable and nice conditions and had a friendly staff. I went one time and was told they were also having a warehouse sale, just a couple of blocks away. They even provided a flyer with a map. I had dropped over $50 in the store (I usually kept individual comic purchases below $5, back when you could buy a new issue for less than $2) and went over to the old store/warehouse. They had stacks of Treasury editions, Warrior Magazine (with the original Marvelman and V for Vendetta comics), Comics Journals, digests, obscure comics, even Tim Truman's Dixie Pistols record album, with the Scout wedding comic, inside. I had never seen that in the wild (didn't buy it though). I ended up dropping anther $100 on Treasuries, Warriors, various indie comics and the Comics Journal issue with an interview with Bill Watterson.

When the clerks talking about how one comic company for example DC is bad and Marvel is great. Like I get your personal opinions but you want to pretend to like everything to try and sell your stuff.

Manga kids. GET OUTTA HERE, YOU MANGA KIDS!!! THIS IS A COMIC SHOP!!!