Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Ultimates #6 Spoilers

Ultimates #6 reaffirms my love for this series. So much great stuff here. Galactus saving the heroes, walking the Superflow, punching abstracts in the face, defeating order and chaos, chatting to Molecule Man about the philosophical duality of the new multiverse. A suggestion that the new reality is still in a quantum superposition and that Galactus may be the one who is destined to collapse the wave function. All with a backdrop of a mythological analogy and rendered with guest artist gorgeousness in psychedelic hues, loose lines and cosmic compositions.

I need nothing more from a cosmic comic.

Cosmic. Cosmic. Cosmic.

Another awesome read. I missed my Blue Marvel fix but this Galactus-centric issue was great. Owen Reece was a crazy surprise. I'm looking forward to what Ewing teased in the Ulti-mails section.

Mighty Member

Liked the callback to Starbrand and Nightmask. Too late to help the book, but it's a nice reward for reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Liked the callback to Starbrand and Nightmask. Too late to help the book, but it's a nice reward for reading it.
    Are you perhaps confusing this issue with another comic? No such callback and this book isn't being cancelled.

Unless you mean it is covering some similar ground to S&N and that book is being cancelled. Not really following that book so I may be missing something.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-27-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The references to Sisyphus and Schrödinger's are beyond cliché at this point. I'm going to need much more than that. I'm disappointed in the appearance of Molecule Man. Mad Jim Jaspers might have served better here. Then again, if Galactus' mission leads to usurping the status quo where MM is still one of the great powers in this universe, then I'm all for it.

I liked seeing Chaos and Order put in their place, but what I really want to see is the team aid Galactus in the mystery of Eternity's Chains. After all of this time you'd think Galactus would know better than to underestimate humans. Molecule Man is living proof that humans have the capacity to grasp information on a cosmic scale and contribute to the cause. This issue should have been about bringing the Ultimates into the cosmic fold.

On a side note, what, exactly, could Alpha Flight possibly have that can contain Anti-Man? He's already shown that when his energy starts spiking he can trash a team of Sentry and the Avengers by himself in a matter of seconds. Their "friendly welcome" better be up to snuff, or they're going to need a new orbital HQ.

Lastly, I wasn't a fan of the art.

PS: Galactus needs to ditch the banana suit. Yellow is gravitas defeating.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Really loved the issue. Never been into the cosmic side of Marvel, but I'm really enjoying this take. Even without the Ultimates being present I was engaged and intrigued. Gave Galactus a personality I never saw before and I bought it. Really excellent issue.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Here for MAC and Spectrum. Not at all curious about Galactus, Eternity, or Molecule Man without the main cast. Losing interest.

Happy that others are enjoying though!

I wonder if this Cosmic talk would bring back that Galacta?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Mighty Member

A very good read ! I'm very curious about Molecule Man: Is he the new "one above all" ? At first I thought it was him who chained Eternity: Who can be as powerful to do this, beside him ? And yes, I like the new galactus but I prefer his purple costume.

I'm so about this series. I love cosmic pseudo-science mixing in with my super heroes.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

This story was f'ing trippy as hell. I enjoyed it, but I can't say I understood it in the slightest. This book continues to amaze and befuddle. What a bizarre headtrip.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    The references to Sisyphus and Schrödinger's are beyond cliché at this point. I'm going to need much more than that. I'm disappointed in the appearance of Molecule Man. Mad Jim Jaspers might have served better here.
    The story was literally about the consequences of Secret Wars. There is nobody better suited than Owen Reese for that.

ETA: The letters asked Al Ewing if he would incorporate Captain Britain in the book. To me, he (or she) would fit perfectly as protector of the multiverse. This fits perfectly in the trippy Crooked World Captain Britain stuff (and then Mad Jim Jaspers actually would be perfect).
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 04-27-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    This story was f'ing trippy as hell. I enjoyed it, but I can't say I understood it in the slightest. This book continues to amaze and befuddle. What a bizarre headtrip.

The story was literally about the consequences of Secret Wars. There is nobody better suited than Owen Reese for that.
    Yeah, I didn't quite understand a lot of that stuff either. But I guess that's how cosmic stuff is supposed to be... trippy and hard to understand.

I enjoyed this issue for a one shot... though I can't say I want the book being like this in general. I still need more people being punched in the face.

I can see why people reading this may be disappointed by the lack of focus on the Ultimates this issue, but to be fair, hasn't Galactus been billed as a part of this series since the beginning? Personally, I am loving all this cosmic stuff. It's the kind of concepts I've been missing from Guardians of the Galaxy, which has turned into more of a generic sci-fi action book since the movie came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Are you perhaps confusing this issue with another comic? No such callback and this book isn't being cancelled.

Unless you mean it is covering some similar ground to S&N and that book is being cancelled. Not really following that book so I may be missing something.
    No, the recent arc of Starbrand and Nightmask featured 3 of Eternity's children (Explosion, Gravitation, and Entropy) wanting to end the universe by first trying to kill Starbrand, the protector of Earth. Without him, the Earth would be destroyed, and thus the universe since the Earth is vital to its existence. In this issue, Molecule Man mentions them and an image of the 3 entities is shown in the panel before the one with Galactus, Master Order, and Lord Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

ETA: The letters asked Al Ewing if he would incorporate Captain Britain in the book. To me, he (or she) would fit perfectly as protector of the multiverse. This fits perfectly in the trippy Crooked World Captain Britain stuff (and then Mad Jim Jaspers actually would be perfect).
    I get that much of our tale is told in the wake of Secret Wars, but I'm hoping for a paradigm shift. I didn't care for Secret Wars, the Beyonder, etc., the first time. That it's, what, 30 years (?) later and we're still talking about these same dynamics and power hierarchy gives me a Groundhog Day feeling. But if Galactus walks through the door and Mad Jim Jaspers is the bloke who could end him with a thought, then I'm buying in wholeheartedly...with my wallet, your wallet, my neighbor's wallet, etc. I guess my expectations were that we could finally get past Chaos and Order, Eternity/Infinity and Death, molecule men and insane necro-amorous demigods. This isn't same broom different stick. This is same broom, same stick. And you just know that behind all of this is probably an old establishment character like Reed Richards or VVD. I'm hoping the build up here is simply to establish the status quo that the Ultimates will soon send out to pasture. But I have my doubts. Not with the way that MM has been reestablished. Until Kevin Brashear becomes the new Eternity, or at least the new Living Tribunal, I guess I'll always be a little disappointed.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 04-27-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I didn't quite understand a lot of that stuff either. But I guess that's how cosmic stuff is supposed to be... trippy and hard to understand.
    Most of these concepts are pretty old. Just add a couple of these books to your summer reading list and you'll be caught up in no time. http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/theoretical-physics