Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

I'd also point out the book has many characters and some issues focus on some or another and it's becoming clear Galactus is a main character.

I also just want to emphasize that, characters may have big roles at various points even if they're not given a big role from beginning to end.
    That's assuming that the group membership doesn't change and that seems a modern day rarity in team books now. I haven't read all the ANAD team books but I would have a guess that many of them have already or planning to have changes/additions to their initial team lineups.

Let's hope Ewing will resist doing the same with the Ultimates though who knows what will happen post Civil War.

Ewing said on most recent interview on Marvel.com that they will be no reduction, but maybe addition - who's to say Galactus is not one?
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

The AV club has a great article about this issue: http://www.avclub.com/article/ultima...cs-indu-235990

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    Ewing said on most recent interview on Marvel.com that they will be no reduction, but maybe addition - who's to say Galactus is not one?
    I hope not. A guy like Galactus would literally overshadow everyone else on the team. Given the choice I would rather Anti-Man joined the team than Galactus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I hope not. A guy like Galactus would literally overshadow everyone else on the team. Given the choice I would rather Anti-Man joined the team than Galactus.
    I must be dreaming because there was no mention of Galactus.
    Marvel.com: Could that split lead to some personnel changes for the team?

Al Ewing: It’s possible, yes. But personnel changes don't always have to be reductive. And CW2 won’t be the end of the upheaval by a long way.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/comics/26094/...#ixzz47GF5OjP6
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I think Galactus is going to be their cosmic patron and protector. After all, he's beholden to this team for helping him to finally evolve into the Lifebringer. And I imagine Galactus' enemies have now become their enemies. I'm actually surprised that Order, Chaos and the other opposing abstracts didn't try to stop the team from helping Galactus in the first place. Maybe they know something that we don't? I still have my doubts that Galan will remain the Lifebringer even a .0000000000001 as long as he's been the Devourer of Worlds, but we'll see.

Now, if only someone will do something about the fact that this team has a number of characters that can't survive in the void of space. Can we get an Ultimates Flight Ring or something, with a protective force field and limited self-contained atmosphere and breathing apparatus? I don't see BP allowing Galactus to endow him with the Power Cosmic, but between BP, BM, and Lifebringer there is more than enough brain power to devise something.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Now, if only someone will do something about the fact that this team has a number of characters that can't survive in the void of space. Can we get an Ultimates Flight Ring or something, with a protective force field and limited self-contained atmosphere and breathing apparatus? I don't see BP allowing Galactus to endow him with the Power Cosmic, but between BP, BM, and Lifebringer there is more than enough brain power to devise something.
    The number of characters that can't survive in space is "one." Black Panther's the only one on the team who can't survive in space unaided. And he probably does have some fancy space suit he can use when he expects to go to space. Blue Marvel, Captain Marvel and Other Captain Marvel (I didn't want to break the 'Marvel' theme) all very much can. And Miss America's shown an ability to survive anywhere, as well. She can survive in the Negative Zone unaided - I think space wouldn't be a big deal.

Which makes me feel kinda bad for poor Black Panther, actually.
    Others: "We're under attack from a bunch of space monsters! Quick, get out there and punch the crap out of them!"
    T'Challa: "I guess I'll just stay here. Maybe I'll check my email. I get lots of very important email, you know. I am a king, after all."
    Others: "No, yeah, that's cool. Being king is really great."
    T'Challa: "I don't need to punch space monsters to feel fulfilled."
    Others: "No, totally. You've got a lot of other stuff going for you. You do you, man. But we're going to go punch space monsters."
    T'Challa: ". . . I've punched monsters. On Earth. Earth monsters. Give me a good Earth monster, and I can punch it."
    Others: "Sure, sure, we know. But, uh, we got these space monsters, soooo, you know." *slowly edging towards the door*
    T'Challa: "Yeah, go ahead." *grumbles to self* "I wish I could fight space monsters."

I would be delighted beyond measure if a conversation like this actually happened in the comic.

Black Panther is such an overachiever.

Anyway at least we all agree Ultimates book sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    Black Panther is such an overachiever.

Anyway at least we all agree Ultimates book sucks.
    You may be baiting, but we really can't agree that. It is one of the best Marvel comics on the stands. Prefer this over the Starlin books and 90% of ANAD material. Much of the new wave has failed to really click with me. The books I really look forward to from Marvel has gone down to about four or five titles and the key ones are really continuations. So that makes two new books that have grabbed me, this and Black Panther. This isn't a criticism per se, I have been saying for years Marvel shouldn't be aiming books at people my age, so in a way I am pleased.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Not really a fan of the Morrison influenced (Morrison himself clearly influenced by Moore, Claremont, and Davis) cosmic writing that Hickman and now Ewing bring, the new things introduced (more weird realms and dimensions that seem to just do things other realms already do, more undefined godlike entities from beyond the universe) only make everything more convoluted in an already crowded cosmic space. Eternity is in chains again decades after Nightmare did it after Eternity was in a coma like state after his fight with Dormammu.

Starlin's recent Infinity books just made everything more complicated. They take place in an alternate continuity, but still there was another object and place of ultimate power, an alternate Warlock essentially absorbed his alternate universe due to what the One Above All Else wanted, all his reality and all the abstracts inside it including the Living Tribunal of that reality; which conflicts with Hickman who tried to make it so there was one metaphysical Living Tribunal and when that one "died" each reality was left with an empty physical shell manifestation thingamabob (Hickman's own take on the Tribunal and Beyonders conflicting with past continuity itself). Thanos flat out stated that only one reality's Living Tribunal was destroyed by The Beyonders, and that Warlock absorbed the one of his alternate reality. So not only did Starlin make it so each Living Tribunal was a separate entity, but Adam Warlock destroyed what was supposed to be the multiverse (as in Time Runs Out/Secret Wars) due to absorbing an entire alternate reality including the abstracts within it and the destruction of the Living Tribunal by the Beyonders in that reality destabilizing reality. Then Warlock recreated Thanos and they commune with The One Above All Else, and on their metaphysical journey there there are other realms, and in their conversation with this OAAE they say that there are still an infinite number of alternate realities/possibilities. Then Warlock remakes the multiverse and becomes the new Living Tribunal due to a deal with the OAEE, but a more powerful Living Tribunal than the last one for whatever reason. So even if this is an alternate continuity is is an entire alternate multiverse of some sort or these events and Time Runs Out/Secret Wars dealt with massive clusters of the multiverse, and it throws Hickman's stuff all out of whack. To top it all off the 616 Tribunal knew what was going to happen all along. Ewing also keeps on using the word omniverse, but in the Claremont sense in that neither really know what it means and are actually talking about the multiverse, but now we have (well we always had) seeming alternate multiverses and more. The Ewing realms and entities and new order taking over from Hickman just tack on even more to an already crowded and complex cosmic scheme.

I think any writer trying to create some sort of cosmic order is just essentially lost at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    I think any writer trying to create some sort of cosmic order is just essentially lost at this point.
    I appreciate you are trying to keep this all straight but to be honest there is little point. The abstracts are by their very nature and name abstractions. They will always transcend any one perspective. It is perfectly fine if one vision contradicts another. What is more problematic is when the various guides try and pin them down or when Starlin goes on his mini rants and tries to straighten them out from his perspective. Let the abstracts serve each story as they go and let go of the requirement for them to always be the same and you will find yourself much more in tune with how most writers think of them.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-30-2016 at 03:13 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    The number of characters that can't survive in space is "one." Black Panther's the only one on the team who can't survive in space unaided. And he probably does have some fancy space suit he can use when he expects to go to space. Blue Marvel, Captain Marvel and Other Captain Marvel (I didn't want to break the 'Marvel' theme) all very much can. And Miss America's shown an ability to survive anywhere, as well. She can survive in the Negative Zone unaided - I think space wouldn't be a big deal.

Others: "We're under attack from a bunch of space monsters! Quick, get out there and punch the crap out of them!"
    T'Challa: "I guess I'll just stay here. Maybe I'll check my email. I get lots of very important email, you know. I am a king, after all."
    Others: "No, totally. You've got a lot of other stuff going for you. You do you, man. But we're going to go punch space monsters."
    T'Challa: ". . . I've punched monsters. On Earth. Earth monsters. Give me a good Earth monster, and I can punch it."
    Others: "Sure, sure, we know. But, uh, we got these space monsters, soooo, you know." *slowly edging towards the door*
    T'Challa: "Yeah, go ahead." *grumbles to self* "I wish I could fight space monsters."

I would be delighted beyond measure if a conversation like this actually happened in the comic.
    Ha ha! Send it to Ewing and let's see if he'll put his twist on it.

For some reason I was thinking that Carol wasn't able to survive in space indefinitely unless she was in her Binary form. And if Monica was somehow reverted back to human form by a sufficiently powerful cosmic type, she'd be in trouble as well. But now that I think about it, Ewing established that Monica may not be entirely human anymore back in Mighty Avengers. So yeah, I guess that leaves just BP.

Still, I want the team to have some cool gadgets all their own. Team swag never hurts. Let's start with Ultimates Envio-Rings that give wearers some small measure of tracking, trans-space communication, protection and survivability in the void and other hostile environments. All the cool kids will want one.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

I suspect it would be trivial for T'Challa's suit to be designed to survive space.

I suspect it would be trivial for T'Challa's suit to be designed to survive space.
    Actually, his only line in this issue suggests that has already happened:

Yes I think this issue got a bit muddled with not being able to survive outside the multiverse. I think T'Challa probably has normal vacuum covered. It's not that harsh an environment despite what the movies would have you believe. Radiation is the real concern. The rest is heating and tight clothes. Within a few years they expect space suits will be far less cumbersome, they just like to over engineer stuff right now, mainly for redundancy.