Super Moderator

Default EXCLUSIVE: Sears & Marz Emphasize Creative Freedom in Ominous Press Revival

Bart Sears has revived his comic company Ominous Press, this time with Ron Marz in tow. Both spoke with CBR News about what to expect from the line.

Full article here.

Always interesting so see start up publishers. Im generally a fan of Ron Marz, but none of these projects look particularly appealing to me.
    Still, id be open to trying them out. given more preview info maybe.

Definitely feeling all three of these. I'm on board.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

Distribution was killing me on the original books. I could not find them anywhere. Loved Bart' work on, well everything he had done. Even his CrossGen stuff and I thought the stories were boring but his artwork was fantastic. Didnt like his work on Warlord and thought his alternate style was, um, not good? But, this looks like his old work and Andy' work was great on Quasar. I love Tom Raney' work from the Infinity Watch back in the day so I am in for this ride. I really hope they are successful with this second attempt.

Yes, Sears is great, Smith, Marz and Raney as well.
    Let's see what they can come up with, hopefully not the lackluster Sears on Sabrtetooth.

Heh this reminds me of this weird thing I bought from Bart Sears. It was a series of prints on a very heavy cardstock that previewed characters and a comic he was working on that was in this clear sleeved little box. I occasionally run into it as Im reorganizing my comics and wonder why the heck did I ever buy that thing.

Oh wait I actually see some of those characters in the preview images in this article after all! He's still working on them I guess. Good for him.
    Last edited by vonfaustus; 04-28-2016 at 01:32 PM.

I am always happy to see some one try and start up a new comic book company. I am willing to give them all a look and if they are good, I will buy issues and support them. I hope they have a deal with Comixology.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Quote Originally Posted by vonfaustus View Post
    Heh this reminds me of this weird thing I bought from Bart Sears. It was a series of prints on a very heavy cardstock that previewed characters and a comic he was working on that was in this clear sleeved little box. I occasionally run into it as Im reorganizing my comics and wonder why the heck did I ever buy that thing.

Oh wait I actually see some of those characters in the preview images in this article after all! He's still working on them I guess. Good for him.
    Yeah, I have the same box. It was the first release from the original Ominous Press. The story was pretty basic but the character designs for the previews looked fantastic.

I think the only other comics that came out were a couple of issues of Brute & Babe. I loved the art. The stories were very decompressed and each issue felt like a preview rather than a full story. Having Marz on board might help in that regard. I'll definitely check it out as I'm a fan of all threee artists.

I've always had a soft spot for Bart Sears art. I got a bunch of issues of Crossgen, just for his art and then I even got that small trade collection of The Path. I believe it was Ron Marz writing.

I love Bart Sears art. If I'm buying any of these books, it'll be the trades. I lose interest with single issue comics these days.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

Two guys I would love to see attached as guest writers in this universe are Jim Starlin, and Keith Giffen. Both were so instrumental in my appreciation of Marz and Sears that it would be cool to have them make guest appearances.

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

Hmmm, I never read the Ominous stuff back then, but loved valiant's Turok and a few CrossGen titles (The Path and Scion). I'm interested, hopefully they attend MegaCon.
    Last edited by BertoFlyingFox; 04-29-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vonfaustus View Post

It Begins... was the name of it. I just dug that out of one of my longboxes last weekend. I liked the novelty of it. Like reading a series of tablets instead of a traditional one-shot preview. Definietly different, but the art presented well on them.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Does anyone know what book the character Auroro, the White is going to appear in?