Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    The other origin did the same, with him wanting to just survive and stop someone from getting beat up in some corner. This one stands out because it`s just more comic book fun and because it`s batmobile. I like both but for the listed reasons this one is just cooler.
    This one also provides good opportunity for inter-batfamily ribbing. Teasing either Jason or Bruce about the time Jason tried to steel the wheels off the batmobile is just good wholesome fun.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Did they up Jason's age?
    It seems in genrall that in the new 52 they are pushing Jason to be almost Dicks age, while he was before much closer to Tims age. In B&RE it was for example stated that you have to be 20 to be immune against mothers mind control signal, and that Tim would just be 16, which woluld make Jason 4 years older than Tim and just a year younger than Dick.
    Pre new 52 Jason was just 2 years older than Tim (and based on the actual comics from the 80s he is most likely just a year older, or even the same age), and 7 or 8 year younger than Dick

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Also boo on them not letting Jay get a lucky strike in! It's hilarious!
    Also great is that in the second issue of the story Jason pulled the vanishing trick against Batman.

Ma Gun isn`t important at all. It was something that gave Jason some moral expoxition compared to other street thugs, but you can do the same without it. I rather they keep the stealing and gangs bit before meeting Batman face to face. But for now, there`s no telling what they might still use. The Ma Gun bit came after the meeting.
    The part of the story was important since it showed why Batman thought he would make a good Robin.
    If you use Ma Gun or another villain is not important, but it is my opinion a difference if Batman makes him Robin after he stole the tires of the Batmobile or after he helped him with a case.

Astonishing Member

Any of the given Robins being aged up a little is fine so long as basically they're all 15 or younger when they get started. Well, excepting Damian of course. But the timelines and characterizations and historical values all work pretty well with "15 or earlier". And it tracks quite well as well with Bruce's motivation for taking them in, because he lost his parents when he was like 12 and so by the time he was a 15 year old (or generally "early teenager"), he would've been a pretty lost young man.

These are some great pages.

I agree Ma Gunn isn't too terribly important. Notable to be sure, as one of his early experiences after meeting Batman, maybe. And we could even call Ma Gunn and her evil orphanage very specifically "Jason Todd Villains".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    This one also provides good opportunity for inter-batfamily ribbing. Teasing either Jason or Bruce about the time Jason tried to steel the wheels off the batmobile is just good wholesome fun.
    There is no try. The wheel was out

But yeah, it`s both funnier and cooler. Jason can rib prett much everyone, from using Talia, Barbara and stealing tires. The man is a Rib-a-Fu masta.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Also great is that in the second issue of the story Jason pulled the vanishing trick against Batman.
    And some fans wonder what made him a "special" kid

The part of the story was important since it showed why Batman thought he would make a good Robin.If you use Ma Gun or another villain is not important, but it is my opinion a difference if Batman makes him Robin after he stole the tires of the Batmobile or after he helped him with a case.
    A case to work with is but the character of Ma Gun is what I don`t consider important. Easily replacable and dated.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 04-29-2016 at 06:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Any of the given Robins being aged up a little is fine so long as basically they're all 15 or younger when they get started.
    In the new 52 Dick was 16 when he became Robin, and Jason probably 16 or 17 (he was 17 when he died, but it is not really stated how old he was when Bruce took him in).

The wierd thing is that Tim is supposed to be 16 now, so he was probably 14 or 15 when he became Robin in thw new 52. Pre flashpoint Tim started his training at 13 and was around 14 at the point were he really started as Robin, while Dick and Jason became Robin at 12 or even younger.

Well, excepting Damian of course.
    I still find it a little bit wired that he takes a 10 Year old as robin in the new 52 when all previous Robins were much older (pre flashpoint where the other started at younger age it makes more sense).

And it tracks quite well as well with Bruce's motivation for taking them in, because he lost his parents when he was like 12 and so by the time he was a 15 year old
    Bruce was actually 8 (in most pre flashpoint books) or 10 (new 52) when his parents died. Only in the Gotham TV show he was allready 12.

Btw. I really need to finish my text about the Batfamily ages and find a way to post it.

Extraordinary Member

A case to work with is but the character of Ma Gun is what I don`t consider important. Easily replacable and dated.
    Ma Gun is not great villain but it is still better than just steeling the Batmobil tires is imo (which is also kind of dated).

I would prefer a origin story like Arkham Knight Genesis or the one of the DCAU-Tim Drake, where he really helps Batman.

Astonishing Member

Great artwork!

I'd almost forgotten Jason HAD a totally new origin in the New 52 (that's how forgettable it was). The 'stealing the Batmobile's tyres' origin is now a classic and an iconic moment in its own right and I'm glad its back. And Batman and Jason sitting atop the Batmobile munching burgers is too great for words!

A minor quib is that Batman is wearing the New 52 suit. I'd have preferred that they brought the classic Neal Adams outfit back into continuity...but anyway, I'm glad that they are acknowledging a time when Batman sharing a meal with an orphan boy he ran into on the street and generally chilling wasn't totally out of character.

Glad to see Jason's classic origin is back.

I have to admit it that I wasn't happy when rhato rebirth was announced, but I'm quite excited about it now.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Those are some nice pages there and I'm glad to see the more classic origin is back although I really had no problem with the N52 one. I have to wonder if Tim is also going to be getting his more classic origin restored to him as well. This gives me hope that he will at any rate.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

In the new 52 Dick was 16 when he became Robin, and Jason probably 16 or 17 (he was 17 when he died, but it is not really stated how old he was when Bruce took him in).

The wierd thing is that Tim is supposed to be 16 now, so he was probably 14 or 15 when he became Robin in thw new 52. Pre flashpoint Tim started his training at 13 and was around 14 at the point were he really started as Robin, while Dick and Jason became Robin at 12 or even younger.

I still find it a little bit wired that he takes a 10 Year old as robin in the new 52 when all previous Robins were much older (pre flashpoint where the other started at younger age it makes more sense).

Bruce was actually 8 (in most pre flashpoint books) or 10 (new 52) when his parents died. Only in the Gotham TV show he was allready 12.

Btw. I really need to finish my text about the Batfamily ages and find a way to post it.
    Oh yeah, Gotham. That Mazouz kid. Never before have I been so invested in a pilot episode of a TV show (that primal scream, man!) and have had my interest just die by the time the finale rolls around. But that kid is a great 'young Bruce'.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com