Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Default First Look: Detective Comics #934

http://www.newsarama.com/29044-dc-re...omics-934.html

I'm trade waiting this because of the numbering, but maaaaaan does this look pretty. I know Tynion IV isn't most ppls' favorite writer but I've never had a problem with him. Almost seems like he gets more of a bad wrap for being Snyder's friend and former student than anything. His Batman annual with Roge Antonio was one of the best one shots in the 'New 52'.

I really like that Kate has shaved hair now. Not that her bob-cut from before was bad, I just like the new look.

And yeah, the art is gorgeous. I hope the artist stays around a while.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member

I guessing Azrael does not join the team as this is the first I've heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post

I'm trade waiting this because of the numbering, but maaaaaan does this look pretty. I know Tynion IV isn't most ppls' favorite writer but I've never had a problem with him. Almost seems like he gets more of a bad wrap for being Snyder's friend and former student than anything. His Batman annual with Roge Antonio was one of the best one shots in the 'New 52'.
    I think the bad rap comes more from him being in charge of the Eternal books, and people wanting him to shill their own favorite characters instead of other certain characters.

Either way, he tends to be hit or miss. His Constantine: the Hellblazer and Batman/TMNT have gotten strong reception, though in the latter case, he's dealing with a team that was built from ground up to be an ensemble roster, as opposed to having a cast of former solo characters thrown together into an ensemble. I'll probably trade wait this, if it gets good reviews. With it double-shipping, there are other creatives that I'm more interested in.

Hey Bruce, meet Jean Paul Valley. He replaced you in another universe .

It's going to be interesting seeing Bruce and Kate working together more closely in this book given how tense and distant their relationship generally is, and has been prominently in the New 52.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I really like that Kate has shaved hair now. Not that her bob-cut from before was bad, I just like the new look.
    I get the shaved hair look, and it better fits her personality and upbringing, but I think I'm going to miss the bob-cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's going to be interesting seeing Bruce and Kate working together more closely in this book given how tense and distant their relationship generally is, and has been prominently in the New 52.
    That's the big draw for me. The last time they interacted they parted on good terms after a really low point in their relationship, so I'm hoping that carries over and they don't sink to that level again without a very good reason.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post

I soured on him because his Nightwing is horrible and Talon got really bad when Tynion was the sole writer (the drop in art admittedly didn't help him though). That said I'm so intrigued by this concept I will probably at least pick up the #1 to give him a chance.
    Last edited by dan12456; 04-28-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Tynion's work has fallen mainly into the miss catagory for me. The premise is one that intrigues me, the art is nice and the book will be featuring a lot of characters that I like but I can't justify buying it twice a month when I've not enjoyed the majority of the writer's work especially since there are plenty of other books out there I'd rather follow. I'll give him an issue to impress and if it doesn't then I'm out.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I soured on him because his Nightwing is horrible and Talon got really bad when Tynion was the sole writer (the drop in art admittedly didn't help him though). That said I'm so intrigued by this concept I will probably at least pick up the #1 to give him a chance.
    His Dick Grayson is horrible. You can tell he doesn't think very highly of the character. With that said I will be giving this a shot. If Tynion likes a character he is all in but if he doesn't he tends to marganilize them. It seems like he is passionate about the characters he chose for Detective so the writing should be good.

BANNED

The art is fantastic but once again Tynion is falling in to the trap of having of more characters than he can juggle. With Azrael already in play you can also bet Talon and Harper wont be far behind. How many characters does Tynion need to tell a story? having Clayface is already bugging me.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Love the ar. In this looks good

What up with that Batman/Kate fight in the last page. Is Kate chucking Batman across her kitchen?

Astonishing Member

Kate gave it the old Sinead, I dig it.

I'm not sure how I feel about JPV, mostly just because of his return in Eternal being shorn of its historical significance, what with his being a zombie during Blackest Night last we saw him, Denny's 100 issue run of Azrael, and his inception, but the art looks good. Really good. Who's coloring this? Barrows work looks like some weird fusion of J.H. Williams and Francis Manapul in places, and man, good on him for leveling up.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Goddamn Barrows way to bring your A game dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    What up with that Batman/Kate fight in the last page. Is Kate chucking Batman across her kitchen?
    Eh, not really a fight; knowing Bats, he's probably just testing her, making sure she's still on her A-game or whatever. And he did show up unannounced at her apartment after being gone for a while. I'm guessing the conversation is going to be some form of "WTF, dude? Where have you been?"