Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

I have to admit, Ravage 2099 was a pretty mundane title until Mills and Skinner took over and changed the tone of the comic, the look and powers of the protagonist, the supporting cast, and, well, everythin about the comic...

I'm pretty much the opposite of how you feel about Ravage 2099. I liked the character until Mills and Skinner and Grant Miehm turned Ravage into another animal-guy-with-claws-type of character that was so prevalent in the '90's. I was also pretty turned off by Grant Miehm's art, which was another reason I stopped reading the book. Every now and then after I dropped the book, I'd go back and see if it got any better and the only thing about the book I liked was the new artist Joe Bennent. The downer ending in the final issue of the series was pretty disappointing and depressing with Ravage and Hellrock-island being completely covered in liquid adamantium by President Doom who then launced the whole damn island into outer space! I thought it was a sad ending for a book created especially by Stan Lee. Oh, well. Different strokes for different folks. I respect your opinion on the series, tho.

Astonishing Member

I would argue usually villains get the best reinventions, like Claremont with Magneto, Bullseye and Kingpin with Miller and Purple Man with Bendis.

Although i think a classic hero reinvention is what Frank Miller did with DD in his title.

Elsa Bloodstone, from DnA version to Nextwave version is a complete reinvention and given her later appearances, I think it worked.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    Elsa Bloodstone, from DnA version to Nextwave version is a complete reinvention and given her later appearances, I think it worked.
    Oh, hell yes. I read and loved Nextwave, but especially liked Elsa, who I knew pretty much nothing about prior. I went and looked her up afterwards and was like, wtf? Now, I do like DnA, but so glad Ellis reinvented her, and glad it's stuck.I'll definitely take this:

over this:

any day. Now i just wish she'd be used more often.

Also concur about earlier comments about Loki going from villain to anti-hero. I never actually found him that interesting prior to JiM. what made his reinvention interesting as well was the meta commentary aspect where he was basically fighting against that sort sort of character inertia that causes characters to revert back back to what they were in the story itself.
    Last edited by Raye; 01-30-2016 at 11:36 PM.

I'm surprised no one said yet: Psylocke becoming an asian ninja.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

ROFL

I had never seen or heard from pre-Nextwave Elsa.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Brubaker/Fraction on Iron Fist
    Miller on Daredevil
    plus
    Bendis/Maleev on Daredevil

Bucky as Captain America

my fanboy rage when they gave Batman an actual son... and Morrison made it work

my fanboy rage when Dick Grayson became Batman... and Morrison made it work

Now I'll just accept anything in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm surprised no one said yet: Psylocke becoming an asian ninja.
    I said it on the first page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    And of course Betsy Braddock going from telepath to thongy Asian ninja.

BANNED

Surprised no one mentioned the biggest one of all time in Marvel and perhaps all comics: Giant Size X-men #1. It was a thrice cancelled book that hadn't put out an original new issues in years and they basically started over from scratch with Cyclops and bunch of new or so unknown they may as well be new characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Surprised no one mentioned the biggest one of all time in Marvel and perhaps all comics: Giant Size X-men #1. It was a thrice cancelled book that hadn't put out an original new issues in years and they basically started over from scratch with Cyclops and bunch of new or so unknown they may as well be new characters.
    They weren't reinvented though, but new characters. I wouldn't say the X-Men concept was reinvented either, it was still Xavier's dream of defending people that hated and despised him but with a different roster. But we could put under an umbrella all the Claremont successful reinventions of the components of the teams, from Wolverine to Phoenix to Psylocke to Magneto, Rogue and so on.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    This:

To This:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Jean-G...enix-256147799

Now if only editorial hadn't mucked about with the concept things would be golden.
    I must admit that is one of my favourite transformations of a character, arguably my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Carol Danvers, having gone from "that nameless chick Rogue sucked the powers from" to one of the heaviest hitters on the Avengers thanks to some much-needed writers' attention and reinvention. She's not quite A-list yet, but Carol's in a much better standing now than ever before.
    Not quite A-List? I'm sorry but I disagree - Movie, games, multiple books with her involvement in it PLUS she's going to be one of the big stars of Civil War 2 by the looks of it. She feels like an A-Lister to me at least.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Extremis for Iron Man- Ellis reinvented Tony Stark for the 21st century. His run only lasted six issues and yet it's still probably the most influential one the character ever had. We wouldn't have the movies without it, at least not as they were.

Also, Emma Frost by Morrison- she passed from a secondary character in a secondary book and former villain to an essential character of the X-men franchise.

Wonder Man from the bitter guy that died after betraying the Avengers and then having a change of heart (sort of becoming their unofficial seventh member), to a really powerful and multilayered character who never stops evolving, and may actually be immortal.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Extremis for Iron Man- Ellis reinvented Tony Stark for the 21st century. His run only lasted six issues and yet it's still probably the most influential one the character ever had. We wouldn't have the movies without it, at least not as they were.

Also, Emma Frost by Morrison- she passed from a secondary character in a secondary book and former villain to an essential character of the X-men franchise.
    i think most of the New X-Men had pretty alright reinventions
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Tom DeFalco having Mary Jane know Peter is Spider-Man.