All-New Member

Default Mignola DC NEW GODS Movie Sketchbook

Hey guys,

Came across a sketchbook and finally got it in the mail today. I contacted Christine for more info about this, and she says that Mike did some movie designs for New Gods, and that it was a work for hire and the movie was never made. That this was his only involvement.

Just curious, do any you guys have this in your collection? Is there any more information bout rarity and how this was released into the wild? Any information would help!

(I didn't take photos of ALL the pages, only a few for people to get an idea of what's inside this sketchbook)

Mignola NEW GODS MOVIE Sketchbook by Francis Ramos, on Flickr

How many sketches there are?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    How many sketches there are?

From an eBay auction for this sketchbook, it says 65 pages

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

that looks amazing

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Well the designs kinda bring up COSMIC ODYSSEY. Is it a good read?

Man, I hate to be the negative nancy, but I guess someone has to do it...

Although the art is impressive, and some of the designs are interesting, they do veen too far from Jack Kirby's vision of the New Gods, so IMHO, this would not have been the right take on the New Gods for the big-screen.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Well the designs kinda bring up COSMIC ODYSSEY. Is it a good read?
    Well, that depends... are you a fan of the New Gods prior? If you're a super-fan like me, who've read Kirby's entire original 4th world saga, then it might not be entirely up your alley...

That is, to say, I consider it to be Starlin's FIRST PERVERSION of the New Gods - with his Death of the New Gods being the second perversion. It changes way too many things and doesn't seem to respect Jack's original vision.

Also, 1987 Batman uses a GUN! : O In it, and shoots a Parademon.

'Sgot some excellent art though, so if you're a big Mignola-fan I'd say it's worth picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Man, I hate to be the negative nancy, but I guess someone has to do it...

Although the art is impressive, and some of the designs are interesting, they do veen too far from Jack Kirby's vision of the New Gods, so IMHO, this would not have been the right take on the New Gods for the big-screen.

Well, that depends... are you a fan of the New Gods prior? If you're a super-fan like me, who've read Kirby's entire original 4th world saga, then it might not be entirely up your alley...

That is, to say, I consider it to be Starlin's FIRST PERVERSION of the New Gods - with his Death of the New Gods being the second perversion. It changes way too many things and doesn't seem to respect Jack's original vision.

'Sgot some excellent art though, so if you're a big Mignola-fan I'd say it's worth picking up.
    Well, for someone like me, if I'd ever care to pick up a 'DC NEW GODS Movie Sketchbook' it might as well be this one, for a price...

Because I like the art. And I especially like to be regarding Kirby as having been a genius both as just a regular dude,
    drawing up stuff real fast yet also real fancy-schmancy-like, for the kids.

I'm not inclined to put just any Big Two material over any other expertly crafted comics art, from Lou Fine to Eisner to Crumb to The Studio, to First! Comics, or be it Kitch Sink and Dark Horse and Flesk Publications or the IDW Artist Editions.

Although I haven't picked this one up from eBay just yet, nor have I obtained signed movie props or handmade limited statues,
    because I'm reserving my funds for many if not most of the Mignolaverse books. Or books at least. And Death Metal Vinyl.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post

Thanks you posted exactly what I needed to know. When the writings not that good the art can't save it for me. And respect for creators should be a bigger thing. Won't get ODYSSEY.