Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Love the Wonder Woman design, but every other looks pretty much the same as the previous New 52 versions. Since this isn't a total reboot like the New 52, it's probably unreasonable to expect a major overhaul. But I guess it makes sense to stick with iconic looks, especially with all the new movies coming out over the next several years.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member

I rather like Damian as "Robin al Ghul". He's starting to look a bit like his grandpa, which works nicely for the story in Teen Titans, since he's recruiting junior DC heroes to hunt Ra's al Ghul for some reason. That sounds fun (and vaguely like that one episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold - you know the one!) It's also a neat evolution, since his Frank Quitely costume was so Robiny, but Pat Gleason has been giving it these kind of odd "grandson of the demon" bits of trim and flourish, with even some "W" Wayne elements. Jon Kent is cool. But does make me wonder just what in the hell might be done with Conner if he comes back, since he'd have to graduate from Superboy to something else. What's the Superboy equivalent of "Red Robin"?

Capullo's bat-costume is growing on me more every day, but Jim Lee drawing it gives me lots of "meh".

Superdad's costume is cool in my book, though I agree with anyone who says the red/yellow/blue balance is a little off. But I'll join the chorus of "hey, it's a massive improvement compared to the N52 armor". But yeah, I'm all in on Superdad, actually. I'm personally on the bandwagon of wanting the fusion of the two Supermen into one, just because Superman being Superdad brings him up to a level more similar to where Batman continued to be through the N52, being a veteran hero with a family dynamic. And how can Tomasi not pull from Morrison's early "jeans/t-shirt" Superman stuff of late? Tomasi ALWAYS pulls from Morrison, he was always like the glue between the Morrison corners of the DCU and the Johns corners. And they're leveraging his time telling stories of Batman & Son to explain why he's the one telling the stories of Superman & Son, so there's got to at least be a narrative or thematic connection there.

Wonder Woman looks pretty good, though I do wonder why they didn't just go with a straight adaptation of Fabok's recent look. But it's still clearly inspired by the Fabok JL stuff, so it's not a huge letdown. There's a lot of Fabok in that design. Sidenote: Where's Fabok? (I mean he's so obviously going to be working with Johns again on whatever the yet-to-be-announced Johns project will be.)

I'm insanely excited about Brad Walker's take on Aquaman. He's got really cool ideas for how to present that world, and it's already evidenced strongly by his tweaks to the design sense - classic Aquaman, with a just clever designer's twist. Abnett/Walker Aquaman is in my top five wants, though it sits there quietly with less fanfare.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    If I'm being 100% honest with myself, I still feel like the red/yellow balance on superman's costumes have been way too one sided since they took the trunks away.
    I agree with this. I would like to see the red boots back. I also liked the new 52 "S" shield in that it had a nice retro shape that seemed to belong to the 1940's. I do like the wrist bands though.

Since one version of a superheroes costume is as realistic as anothers, why not just bring pre flashpoint Superman back in his original costume or the slightly modified version in the Coming of the Supermen series? This would be the simplest, easiest and best solution and yet they continually miss the target. Still, if it's a well written and drawn comic the costume isn't a reason not to enjoy it but there is an old saying;
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I don't understand why "official" versions of costumes are necessary. Costumes change with the frequency of the artist, licensing and merchandising pretty much remains Garcia-Lopez when it SHOULD be Bruce Timm, toys are batshit whackadoo with "armor" and "accessories" and "robot pets", and the only heroes that matter all have loose brand marks and color schemes instead of vector logos and pantone swatches.

I'm honestly bored with Capullo's redesigns. I can find far more fascinating looks from Pinterest and Deviant Art.

Damian's new design is pretty bad.

I like the redesign of Aquaman in the arch of Thule. Superman's body is very monochromatic, he should use yellow belt and legs could have a different color from the top.

I wonder if they're going to do another article with the other designs, like the Birds of Prey redesigns (at least for Canary and Huntress), Supergirl, Deathstroke etc.?

Spectacular Member 100010959493281's Avatar

I love the new Wonder Woman design.

Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is of course tops for me, but this is a close second.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Harley looks really cool, I'm glad she's wearing pants. Not sure I'd want this as a definitive look though; not something I'd want to see for a long time. It lends itself to a theme that I don't feel meshes with her personality. Gotta see more on this.
    My guess is this look for Harley Quinn will be debut only. There's a line about Harley in the Rebirth preview book from DC. They're going to try giving her different Harley color scheme themed outfits for every mission, instead of one recognizable look.

rebirth-designs-2-1a34b.jpg

Posting Lee's superior design only serves to mark the flaws in Walker's Aquaman. He is anatomically out of proportion with a huge mid-section/rear and the new trident looks like something a farmhand would use. Why does DC continue to let anyone other than Ivan Reis touch Aquaman's design? Oh and Mera too. She looks awful on the cover to Aquaman #1.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
    My guess is this look for Harley Quinn will be debut only. There's a line about Harley in the Rebirth preview book from DC. They're going to try giving her different Harley color scheme themed outfits for every mission, instead of one recognizable look.
    Ahhh, sweet. Now that makes a lot more sense to me. See, I was never a fan of the roller derby look, but maybe if it was implemented this way as a situational deal then I may have liked it more.

The Superman one is vastly better, but of course he still needs the red trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by 100010959493281 View Post
    I love the new Wonder Woman design.

Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is of course tops for me, but this is a close second.
    I like that she is wearing a blue undershort as well! Hopefully, we'll get her in a pair of pants as well! Stash the sword and shield someplace else, though!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Aquaman: "Bring back the collar!"
    Superman: "The collar looked dumb!"

= fans.
    I always like the collars - I have never like the open neck.