Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Very possible. In fact, that is something that should be looked into.

Rhodey in Ultimates would be a good look for him.

As for him not being on a team, I guess the folks in charge don't care much about him at the moment.

Most def.
    I would imagine Rhodney would have been in Ultimates if Ewing wanted to use him on the team, since he's not being used elsewhere. Unless perhaps there are other plans or Rhodney down the road which might prevent using him (Civil War 2 for example). Ultimates is a fairly small team, and Rhodey being in a relationship with Carol makes him a natural fit.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I would imagine Rhodney would have been in Ultimates if Ewing wanted to use him on the team, since he's not being used elsewhere. Unless perhaps there are other plans or Rhodney down the road which might prevent using him (Civil War 2 for example). Ultimates is a fairly small team, and Rhodey being in a relationship with Carol makes him a natural fit.
    Seeing Carol and Rhodey would be another reason to check out the book too, at least to me.

lol...

Rhodey as part of "The Crew" by Christopher Priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    As much as I like Rhodey in the War Machine armor, I tend to think they focus a little too much on the armor and not the man inside. Rhodey was badass way before they gave him a suit of armor. It's good that he gets some character development now that he's in a relationship with Carol. I just hope they keep him around in someone's title. He might be a good fit in the Sam Wilson Cap book. They would make a cool team I think.
    In some ways I think he was a cooler before he became War Machine.

I liked when he was briefly in Secret Avengers
    We need better comics

So, Civil War has been out for about 2 - 2.5 weeks now. Thoughts on Rhodey's portrayal? I felt it was the best since Iron Man 2.

War Machine in action. Spoilers incoming, of course.

he was awesomely badass as usual.
    I surrender to the Contest

BANNED

Happy Birthday Mike Deodato Jr.!!!

War Machine by Mike Deodato Jr.

Mighty Member

Searching all over CBR and noticed that Rhodey does not have an appreciation thread. Considering that he has appeared in several MCU films AND is coming up in Civil War(s), might as well make it happen.

Therefore, time for some Rhodey Appreciation!

Thanks for this thread. Unfortunately the main streamers of Marvel fandom tend not to support minority characters to any great extent and it is difficult for Marvel to market minority characters when all they get is a big meh. Too bad really but the fanbase is more conservative than most of us realize. I'm trying to be nice and not use the R word. Some of the discussions I've overheard at the LCS from those who grew up in up in the 80's are almost a throw back to the pre Civil Rights era of the 50's. Yes I get the frustration over Welfare Nation and that cultural identity over more mainstream assimilation that every other ethnic group accomplished was thrown to the side over the last 50 years or so . Be that as it may Rhodey rocks and maybe the characters visibility in the movies will help move the character forward.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Thanks for this thread. Unfortunately the main streamers of Marvel fandom tend not to support minority characters to any great extent and it is difficult for Marvel to market minority characters when all they get is a big meh. Too bad really but the fanbase is more conservative than most of us realize. I'm trying to be nice and not use the R word. Some of the discussions I've overheard at the LCS from those who grew up in up in the 80's are almost a throw back to the pre Civil Rights era of the 50's. Yes I get the frustration over Welfare Nation and that cultural identity over more mainstream assimilation that every other ethnic group accomplished was thrown to the side over the last 50 years or so . Be that as it may Rhodey rocks and maybe the characters visibility in the movies will help move the character forward.
    I've def learned that over the years, and its surprisingly across the board, for the most part. There are exceptions of course.

Reminds me of the debate about new/supporting characters taking mantles from established characters, whether on a temporary basis or otherwise. Yes, it would be preferable for Marvel to either create or push their current characters as they are and go from there, but folks need to be honest: those same readers most likely wouldn't support the book(s) or care that said character had a book if those characters remained as they were.

How many of them would really support a Falcon book (without the Cap mantle)?

Or a War Machine book that truly tried to forge its own path?

Or an Amadeus Cho book w/o the Hulk title?

Even with the newer characters, would they support Miles Morales as much without the Spider-Man title he had in the ultimate universe carried it over to 616?

Or Kamala Khan without the Ms. Marvel mantle?

And so on.

Nonetheless, its a good thing the movies are around. It allows characters like Rhodey a second chance to make an impact with the general audience. All said character needs is a good (and impactful) showing as well as enough screen time to make that happen.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 05-24-2016 at 09:58 PM.

I've def learned that over the years, and its surprisingly across the board, for the most part. There are exceptions of course.

Reminds me of the debate about new/supporting characters taking mantles from established characters, whether on a temporary basis or otherwise. Yes, it would be preferable for Marvel to either create or push their current characters as they are and go from there, but folks need to be honest: those same readers most likely wouldn't support the book(s) or care that said character had a book if those characters remained as they were.

How many of them would really support a Falcon book (without the Cap mantle)?

Or a War Machine book that truly tried to forge its own path?

Or an Amadeus Cho book w/o the Hulk title?

Even with the newer characters, would they support Miles Morales as much without the Spider-Man title he had in the ultimate universe carried it over to 616?

Or Kamala Khan without the Ms. Marvel mantle?

And so on.

Nonetheless, its a good thing the movies are around. It allows characters like Rhodey a second chance to make an impact with the general audience. All said character needs is a good (and impactful) showing as well as enough screen time to make that happen.
    And this is why I've grown to understand accept the current trend of Legacy heroes in Marvel and the purpose they serve in elevating minority characters and promoting them in a bigger way, even when I sometimes prefer other people in those identities or those characters in their own identities.

I mean, who would want to read a Miles Morales book where he's called Kid-Arachnid? Which is what he's currently called in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon

But I think if you put an A-list creative team on a book like War Machine, Falcon etc...that could probably find some success. I kinda want to see what Warren Ellis could do on a War Machine book.

BANNED

I support Virgil Ovid Hawkins aka Static wholly original so I would support Kamala Khan for instance as 'Lady Longstrike'