Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Super Sons issue #10 (spoilers)

This was a particularly strong issue in a book that's regularly strong.

-Jon can fully fly now. I'll miss the super leaps to some extent, but there's a whimsical seraphim-like quality to a 10 year laughing at the laws of physics that I think may in time work better for Jon. Also damn the kid's already pretty fast. Under a minute round trip. Not too bad.

-Remember during the last arc when Jon was able to "break" out of frozen time by just, idk, wanting it enough? Well turns out that it's now VERY likely that it was the manifestation of a new power unique to him. Damian seem fully aware of this new power and is keeping it from Bruce and Clark. It also gives new context to his line last arc when Starfire asked how they got free and he simply explained it away with a "Superboy happened" and left it at that. He knows more about it than Clark, Bruce, and likely even Jon himself.

-Really nice moment where Jon and Damian "fly" no top of the truck.

-FUTURE DAMIAN YES!!!

-Seems Jon was officially not the first Superboy. A poster for 90s Conner is in his room.

-"Fortress of Attitude" sounds hilariously corny. I'd have imagined they'd go with something simpler like "The Clubhouse." Though, there's something charming about Jon's goofy ass coming up with an equally goofy name like that.

-Nice little Morrison shout out, Tomasi.

Great issue. Keep buying this book.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-16-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Always Rakzo

LOVED this one. The character dynamics are quite charming, not only between Damian and Jon but also between Bruce and Clark. Hell, I love the interactions between the characters as a whole and they all provide enjoyable moments full of humour that I sometimes feel lacking in Batman books. The appearance of Batman 666 was also quite exciting although I wish it would have been used at the end as a stronger cliffhanger.

Luis' artwork was solid although I hope Jimenez returns soon.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

"This is a job for Superboy... and Robin."

"I hate you."

I only read this book for rotating arcs at times but it really is a gem, haha.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Man, this series is so much better then it has any right to be. Bruce and Clark as friends, and Jon actually getting Damian to act like a kid. I don't think even Dick can do that.

I love this series. It really needs to be animated.

Next arc is Super Sons of Tomorrow, huh? Should be interesting.

Astonishing Member

I'm stoked to see a freaky Hypertime reconciliation of Damian 666 Batman with the Titans of Tomorrow storyline. It's like a blasphemous fusion of Johns and Morrison storylines that only Tomasi can do. But that was like the theme du'jour this week - Tomasi just doing stuff that only Tomasi could do in these Superbooks, carrying the torch for all the Johns and Morrison stuff that his stuff intermingles with, but doing it with the same heart he used to bring to like Green Lantern Corps.

Dude is so underrated. He might be the best writer at DC at being able to integrate and play with all the toys, even the toys others create that almost nobody but their original creators should play with. Not every story is perfection but they always build, have great momentum, great long-form arcs, aren't too decompressed. And again, are full of heart.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Gotta say though, Clark and Lois don't seem like private school parents. Even the super rich Reed and Sue sent Franklin aka basically a god to public school.

Then again, it's a good for design reasons to have then go to private school (school uniforms). It also syncs up rather nicely with the subtle Japanese/anime influences that have surrounded Jon since Tomasi and Gleason starting really working on him. Popular shows/manga like My Hero Academia (and Naruto before it) might've been in the back of their minds when making this choice. Plus, it's another toy to be sold. This also allows them to have Damian and Jon in the same school without moving Jon to middle school. This isn't something I would've though needed to be done, but I can appreciate that if it wasn't done it would've been leaving money on the table.

The set up for some sort of animated show gets stronger by the issue. I'm starting to think that if Priest was instructed to make his Deathstroke run VERY TV friendly (as in live action), then it's super likely that Tomasi was told to make Super Sons basically a ready-made cartoon just waiting to be animated.

So I'll set aside my nit-picks with how this doesn't quite jibe with Lois and Clark's sensibilities as characters, because the marketing end of it is so strong that it would be, again, leaving money on the table.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I love how much Damian and Jon's relationship is growing .

The more I see him write Batman and Superman together, the more I think Tomasi would probably be pretty solid on a World's Finest Book starring Batman and Superman.

Damian and Jon going to the same school? Can't say I saw that coming. And now they're giving Robin more excuses not to be in Gotham .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The more I see him write Batman and Superman together, the more I think Tomasi would probably be pretty solid on a World's Finest Book starring Batman and Superman.

Damian and Jon going to the same school? Can't say I saw that coming. And now they're giving Robin more excuses not to be in Gotham .
    Super Sons is practically World's Finest junior version already. And I think Jon is the only person to push past Damian's tough exterior and bring out the kid in him.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I don't understand how the dude doing a book as tepid as Superman is right now is also turning out the most infectiously charming book on the stands here - properly hyped for Super Sons of Tomorrow at this point.
    Buh-bye

Agreed on all counts - the characterization here is amazing! And definitely, he needs to do a WF book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I don't understand how the dude doing a book as tepid as Superman is right now is also turning out the most infectiously charming book on the stands here - properly hyped for Super Sons of Tomorrow at this point.
    Absolutely. This is fast becoming my favorite Super book. Hopefully after the whole Oz/Watchmen thing, the others will pick back up.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I already saw someone said Bruce is sending his son away from home so that he can enjoy his new life with his new wife lol.

But yeah this gives more excuses as to why Damian doesn't show up in main Bat titles. He's a really busy 13 year old.

I haven't especially enjoyed recent issues but this one reminds me why I love this series so much. What a blast, and putting the Super Sons in the same school is a good idea that I really look forward to.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Really great issue, this book has easily been the best Superman book, when even the fill ins are great. Can't wait to see these guys weekly when the crossover starts!

BANNED

Bruce: Maybe i'll become journalist.
    Clark: Great. Switch places. Playboy millonaire can't be all bad.

He he he i want to see that.

Astonishing Member

Awesome issue. Best of the lot. This series rocks.