Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    That is the "censored" image the original sketch has WW's underwear showing, look a few pages back someone posted it.
    Here you go.

I was looking at that myself. There were some changes. Either Cho was asked to remove the visible underwear (or the colorist was asked to) and WW was moved off-center to de-emphasize her bottom. (Assuming the color version is the final image, of course, and not just an awkwardly cropped preview.) Honestly, I would have thought the thrust of the breasts and butt would have been a bigger issue.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 07-14-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    He doesn't, not to Cho, but to their editor, thats what they are for.
    He probably did that too. Look, Rucka is pretty well known for his views, it was probably a mistake to have Cho on Wonder Woman anyway.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    He probably did that too. Look, Rucka is pretty well known for his views, it was probably a mistake to have Cho on Wonder Woman anyway.
    As someone else pointed out, writers generally don't have influence over the arts of variant covers... which is why this is so grotesque. Like, if this is something DC permits why didn't someone like Cullen Bunn protest over the depiction of the Joker going mano-e-mano with his Lobo even-though everyone and their dog knows Lobo would rip him to shreds?

Extraordinary Member

It is laughable that anyone can object to those covers, especially someone using the term thrusting, but even if someone feels so strongly on this issue that they support Rucka in his overstepping his duties by driving off a variant cover artist... just keep in mind that this has nothing to do with some great moral cause, this is just egos and plenty of 'people with great morals' are not getting work because 'douches' with more cache are pulling the same crap.

How soon until comics come with a label that let's you know the creative teams personal views so you do not accidentally buy something supporting a monster.

As someone else pointed out, writers generally don't have influence over the arts of variant covers... which is why this is so grotesque. Like, if this is something DC permits why didn't someone like Cullen Bunn protest over the depiction of the Joker going mano-e-mano with his Lobo even-though everyone and their dog knows Lobo would rip him to shreds?
    You're assuming this is DC policy. I really think the answer to your question is that Cullen Bunn is not Greg Rucka. Rucka is one of the biggest names in comics, and in particular one of the biggest WW writers (in the modern era? ever?). Way more leverage, and I doubt DC would let him walk over having control over variant covers.

As someone else pointed out, writers generally don't have influence over the arts of variant covers... which is why this is so grotesque.
    I feel 'grotesque' is overstating things. We can at least be reasonably sure that Cho was asked not to show Wondy's undies on this cover or in future and, honestly, if that's all that's caused him to be this upset, I'd say he's being pretty thin-skinned. I still think that's a real big 'if' though; like I stated upthread, I find it hard to believe a mild tweak would cause someone who's been in the industry a while to stomp off unless it's a straw breaking the camel's back sort of situation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    You're assuming this is DC policy. I really think the answer to your question is that Cullen Bunn is not Greg Rucka. Rucka is one of the biggest names in comics, and in particular one of the biggest WW writers (in the modern era? ever?). Way more leverage, and I doubt DC would let him walk over having control over variant covers.
    No way DC upsets Rucka. The WW title has a real shot at establishing itself as a core title again, losing Rucka over this would absolutely be a devastating blow, even the Rebirth push in general would take a hit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    And Jeremy Clarkson was the BBC's biggest source of income and they still sacked him when he overstepped his boundaries and brought a bad light onto them. So whats DC's excuse? Thats its going to be as bad? Because DC, much more so than Marvel, has a pretty bad reputation as a place to work already due to various editors... do people there now also have to dread their own big-headed co-workers as well now?

BANNED

And Jeremy Clarkson was the BBC's biggest source of income and they still sacked him when he overstepped his boundaries and brought a bad light onto them. So whats DC's excuse? Thats its going to be as bad? Because DC, much more so than Marvel, has a pretty bad reputation as a place to work already due to various editors... do people there now also have to dread their own big-headed co-workers as well now?
    humm well, I think that any mature and serious worker won't take a problem with this. Tht just how publishing works

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    humm well, I think that any mature and serious worker won't take a problem with this. Tht just how publishing works
    Or work-for-hire, anyway. If you're dealing with someone else's IP, you're probably going to be asked to compromise... well, that's being diplomatic. You're probably going to be told you flat-out can't do something/must do something, end of discussion.

Mighty Member

i honestly dont see what rucka did wrong its his work that is be put out if he doesnt want his name attached to something he has every right to be against it and shouldnt be blamed because Cho cant be arsed to either just take the criticism or change his art work

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I feel 'grotesque' is overstating things. We can at least be reasonably sure that Cho was asked not to show Wondy's undies on this cover or in future and, honestly, if that's all that's caused him to be this upset, I'd say he's being pretty thin-skinned. I still think that's a real big 'if' though; like I stated upthread, I find it hard to believe a mild tweak would cause someone who's been in the industry a while to stomp off unless it's a straw breaking the camel's back sort of situation.
    And to that, someone should strap Rucka down and show him a cavalcade of Wonder Woman covers from the past 40 or so years where she has been in a bathing suit (Including his own previous run)... a suit that's now so iconic people threw colossal fit when someone dared giving her actual pants to wear.

You are right thought, I dont think this has anything to do with Cho having thin skin, and his own post on the matter suggests as much this isn't case... so I kinda have to say I think this has more to do with Rucka complaining again and again over minute details with each and every cover and demand they be changed, which is 'professional' bullying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Or work-for-hire, anyway. If you're dealing with someone else's IP, you're probably going to be asked to compromise... well, that's being diplomatic. You're probably going to be told you flat-out can't do something/must do something, end of discussion.
    Yes, it's normal editors, writers ask to change things. A marvel female editor said that she asked a artist to cover the sqirrel girl boobs, it's not like the artist called censorship and walked out of the book. It's called common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    No way DC upsets Rucka. The WW title has a real shot at establishing itself as a core title again, losing Rucka over this would absolutely be a devastating blow, even the Rebirth push in general would take a hit.
    would be dumb lose Rucka because a variant cover got mad because rucka wanted the variant covers to match the tone of the content. This is the same situation of that batgirl variant cover, the artist himself thought it was better not use because it didn't matched the tone/public of the book. Now he is the interior artist for the batgirl solo.
    fire a feminist and keep a feminist mocker on the book of a feminist icon. that seems like a bad pR

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    It's unlikely that Cho would throw a hissy fit and walk away from a Big 2 job based off a single incident, he's worked in the industry for a long time.

Even though we haven't heard Rucka's side of the story I feel pretty confident in saying that both sides were probably in the wrong in different ways and could've handled this better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    That is the "censored" image the original sketch has WW's underwear showing, look a few pages back someone posted it.
    So what, she flashed her underwear in the CW special, we got a crotch-shot in Batman v Superman but now everyone's going nuts over this...are we being reasonable? Wonder Woman wore nothing but panties for 75 years