Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Default It has now been a year since Fantastic Four was cancelled.....

As an FF follower for longer than most posters here have been alive, it seems to me that the title might not return for quite sometime. I am reminded of that old Kingston Trio "M.T.A." song from the 1960's. I fear that if this hiatus keeps up much longer, we might be able to paraphrase the lines of the M.T.A. to read as follows:

Well, did they ever return?
    No, they never returned and their fate is still unlearned.
    They may ride forever 'neath the streets of Marvel
    Their the team who never returned.

So, how about we predict how much longer before the Fantastic Four title returns and if the members will stay the same or will there be a new line-up, either in part or in total?

p.s. - The M.T.A. is a very funny song. I recommend you younger folks go to YouTube and listen to it.

BANNED

I have no idea when the original Fantastic Four will return, but I do know that I won't accept any substitutes.

Amazing Member

Sad state of affairs really. This and Thor's absence turn me off quite a bit to Marvel at the moment.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Maybe Marvel's holding out with the FF comics till they can do a Spidey(Sony) style deal with Fox for the movie rights (or a share thereof) ...? I'm guessing Fox just wants to concentrate on their successful Deadpool and X-Men movies for now and can do without the headache that FF movies have caused them. Once the FF are safely under the MCU umbrella then Marvel won't be so conflicted about promoting them in the comics.
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

FF is totally substituted by Ultimates now.
    Incidentally, the twitter profile background of writer Al Ewing is from FF.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Mighty Member

I would bet they're not coming back anytime in the next decade or so. It's the same thing Marvel did with Nick Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    I would bet they're not coming back anytime in the next decade or so. It's the same thing Marvel did with Nick Fury.

You may be right, but...own gut feeling...next two years.

But hope that new writer thinks of some convincing way of getting more out of Ben Grimm. I hate increasing or altering powerset of such a well established character...but it may be necessary in this case.

Ben has been really hit by rapid escalation of powers in many, many other Marvel characters. He was one of the Titans of the original marvel-verse. Now? Any one of dozens of kid mutants could most likely outfight/ overpower him.

He needs to be more than a five minute interlude when he shouts "clobbering time" and pluckily fights for a short while somebody else sorts the real problem.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I have no idea when the original Fantastic Four will return, but I do know that I won't accept any substitutes.
    I've been accepting substitutes much of my life. Sometimes it's good to have Ms Marvel or Black Panther in there. But, then, I'm not necessarily looking for the same thing in an FF comic as some are, so I'm maybe easier to please? The only runs I don't really cotton to are Byrne, Claremont, and Hickman, though I can do some Byrne, some Hickman, and Claremont gave us Alyssa Moy, so that's good.

I do wonder though, where everybody who wants an ongoing now was when it was being canceled and restarted, canceled, restarted. Because I didn't see regular threads here. Conversation anywhere seemed sparse. I know some of us were all in, but it does seem like there's a lot of people who just want there to be an ongoing they don't have to read or buy, just to exist.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I'm hoping for a twist on the group. Like Johnny, Doom, Val, Franklin. That would be so interesting.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Memories of better times:

Those were the glory days.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

As much as I miss them, I think they deserve a break. Hickman's run lasted from the Dark Reign to pretty much Secret Wars; and he did a damn well job at it. They need a more than great creative team with innovative ideas. I'd rather wait for an amazing F4 book than get a mediocre one now.

I think the longer the wait, the more successful the book will be. Also, when it does return, I think a focus shift from Reed would be beneficial. Most of the F4 stories center around him. It would be cool to go more in-depth with the other three and see what kind of stories can emerge from them.
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I do wonder though, where everybody who wants an ongoing now was when it was being canceled and restarted, canceled, restarted. Because I didn't see regular threads here. Conversation anywhere seemed sparse. I know some of us were all in, but it does seem like there's a lot of people who just want there to be an ongoing they don't have to read or buy, just to exist.
    Guilty as charged. I'm actively bummed there's no F4 comic on the stands and wish that would change...but, I've never put money down on an F4 book before and I doubt I'd start now.

It's just one of those things I take for granted and only miss when it's gone, y'know? Same reaction I had when I realised there wasn't going to be another new Star Trek show after Enterprise. Never bloody watched Trek but it was this sort of invisible constant within the media culture to me, and the idea that it would suddenly stop within my lifetime was alarming...
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I think they'll be back next year
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    That's just not going to happen. The FF are one of Marvel's flagship titles. They're just trying to stick it to Fox
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

It's the best time for sue to do her own thing without Reed and their kids.
    i want a sue solo !!
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)