Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batman's" Gotham Was... Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo

With Snyder and Capullo's game-changing tenure on "Batman" at its end, CBR revisits the run that defined the Caped Crusader for a generation.

Full article here.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

I've been on board the whole way through and in one word I'd say their run on Batman has been..... GENIUS. Loved it :-)
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

One of the best runs the character has ever had.

"For a generation"?! Pfftt. Yeahhh...no.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Loved that the stories had "writerly" things like themes and metaphors. Not something we really saw pre-Morrison all that much. Hated that said themes were conveyed in the most ham-handed, obvious way possible.

But that's the thing about Scott Snyder's writing isn't it Bruce? The phrase "that's the thing" will trigger characters to unload dense, unwieldy blocks of word vomit detailing their past, present, future and how what they had for lunch is a metaphor for turning tragedy into triumph.

The comics press seemed to be competing with each other to see how much they could praise the run, which gives Snyder very little incentive to change. I hope he continues to grow though, and in the end I consider the run a good one.

Capullo's art, is probably only rivaled by peak-period Byrne or Perez in terms of quality and creativity on a consistent basis. At this point, he is one of a kind in the comics industry. I think the stories would have been received much less warmly had the art been the typical "four issues by a name artist, six issues by random fill in people, eight issues by a workhorse artist" that we usually get.
    "The phoney (sic) Electoral College made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one (sic)! He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revoluion in this country!" -Donald J. Trump on the 2012 presidential election

Spectacular Member swing kinker's Avatar

Loved the run up until after the clayface one shot. I understand why people love it but just wasn't for me. Everything from black mirror to death of the family was ace. I have to say though boy did he drill the "Gotham is a character in itself" motif into the ground.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It's on my list of top Batman runs for sure
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Their entire run needs to be put in Omnibus format soon... like in a few months.

Snyder's Batman was very wordy but not in the bad way
    He made for a very different type of Batman read
    I don't expect the characters to talk like they are in a novel but somehow Snyder makes it work

His run on Batman is probably the best character work I've seen for Bruce in a while

THE definitive Batman team for me

I need multiple re-reads to make up my mind, but the only consistency was Capullo, who finally, after years on Spawn, received his due credit.
    Snyder's stories can't convince me, too predictable, especially in their repetative narrative with little surprises than the odd shock effect in between. On top, overly wordy, but not in a fluent Chris Claremont way, more lecturing and explaining, especially long stretches which read like encyclopedia entries muddied my reading pleasure.
    On the other hand Snyder had a great idea with the Owls and his first 9 issues were really good, creating suspense and introducing menacing new villians for Batman.
    What stands out for me is Capullo with help from Glapion, Miki and FCO, but story wise the last five years were more like a rollercoaster ride with more downs than ups.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    I need multiple re-reads to make up my mind, but the only consistency was Capullo, who finally, after years on Spawn, received his due credit.
    Snyder's stories can't convince me, too predictable, especially in their repetative narrative with little surprises than the odd shock effect in between. On top, overly wordy, but not in a fluent Chris Claremont way, more lecturing and explaining, especially long stretches which read like encyclopedia entries muddied my reading pleasure.
    On the other hand Snyder had a great idea with the Owls and his first 9 issues were really good, creating suspense and introducing menacing new villians for Batman.
    What stands out for me is Capullo with help from Glapion, Miki and FCO, but story wise the last five years were more like a rollercoaster ride with more downs than ups.
    Oh man, you totally had me going there. I thought you were serious! Good one!

BANNED

Felt for years? Yeah, perhaps Greg Capullo's art, but the writing? I don't believe it.

Court of Owls was a clever twist of having a "League of Shadows" type "Ninja organisation" as a domestic force inside Gotham that makes for easily adaptable storylines, but besides that I don't see Snyder's run as revered as say O'Neill or Aparo or Moench.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I love Snyder's wordy style. I love Morrison's sparser less wordy style too. I can like both. All depends on execution (what the words and ideas are).

Snyder's run was great (counting Black Mirror). It was better than we could have hoped for right after Morrison (you usually get a big downswing after a great run) and Snyder was better than the quality most DC characters got in the New 52. And Snyder and Capullo were a dynamic duo.

Snyder combined the early Post-Crisis gritty diehard style with theme exploration not dissimilar from Grant Morrison's statements about the character's immortality and vitality.

I just custom bound Snyder into 2 hardcovers and they illustrate to me that it was a fun worthy era (and one that's not over!).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-03-2016 at 05:27 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

With the exception of Harper Row, this has been the greatest run on Batman to date.

Also, it's 6 arcs not 5