Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post
    "For a generation"?! Pfftt. Yeahhh...no.
    And because it may not be true for you, you're able to make that call for everyone else? In hearing comments from others in the past, who used Batman #1 as a jumping-on point, Snyder/Capullo would indeed be identified as the Bat-Team for a generation.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

One of the best runs on the character and up there with any other 'great run' on the character.

So there's a generation out there who thinks that Batman first adventures were against colorful gangs, lions, bone monsters and robots... Nice. Come on, Snyder completely destroyed Batman's origins. Zero Year is the worst Batman story in years. Also, if the article is right, there's a generation out there that doesn't know Batman is intelligent, because Snyder's Batman was constantly fooled by his enemies. And they also think that Bruce and Alfred outright tell each other things like "I love you"...

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    So there's a generation out there who thinks that Batman first adventures were against colorful gangs, lions, bone monsters and robots... Nice. Come on, Snyder completely destroyed Batman's origins. Zero Year is the worst Batman story in years. Also, if the article is right, there's a generation out there that doesn't know Batman is intelligent, because Snyder's Batman was constantly fooled by his enemies. And they also think that Bruce and Alfred outright tell each other things like "I love you"...
    I will say that I agree on Zero Year. I don't like it as a Batman origin, one that was not needed, and certainly not so radically different.

When I talk of Snyder's run, I am not including ZY, which didn't even make my custom bind of Snyder's run.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Definatly one of the best runs in terms of visual power. Writing wise? Not for me.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'd put it up there with Dixon or Moench's runs, entertaining to be sure and with a lot of big moments but nothing that really makes you go "wow" like say Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by dcd747 View Post
    And because it may not be true for you, you're able to make that call for everyone else? In hearing comments from others in the past, who used Batman #1 as a jumping-on point, Snyder/Capullo would indeed be identified as the Bat-Team for a generation.
    I don't have a problem with other people enjoying it. Or even with the run itself perse, some of it was decent, some was blah.
    I just don't like the hyperbole.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

I think the Snyder/Capullo run has been pretty good in general. I always get my back up when people use hyperbole. A friend of mine called Snyder the 'best writer of this generation'. Hmm.

I like Snyder's ideas. As others have said, the dialogue can often suffer. I don't think he does suspense brilliantly - it's not often that you go 'wow' as a reader for a reveal. Personally, I think he overused Gotham to create epic situations - how many times can one city go through cataclysmic events? And I also think he stretches believably a bit too much for my liking. I remember sitting there a few times thinking 'nah, that wouldn't happen like that'. And although there is usually justification for his plot points, I still feel better solutions could and should have been used.

I tend to find I like 70% of what he's written but dislike the 30%. Apart from Superheavy which I really didn't like. It's a shame to end the run with (for me at least) such a weak idea and storyline ).

So, successful overall. But could do substantially better.

Just wanted to add something to this after finally getting round to reading #51 this morning.

One thing I really love that Snyder introduced was the concept of the 'Gotham is...' newspaper column. It ran through several threads and issues and I really do like it.

Unless someone is going to tell me it wasn't a Snyder idea?

BANNED

Meh

Snyder's run was better than Morrison's but it still can't touch the O'Neil/Adams or the first Doug Moench run of the 80's.