Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Daredevil, #6

Bill Sienkiewicz's stunning cover says everything you need to know about Daredevil #6: Elektra is back and ready to fight. Charles Soule's fluid script and Matteo Buffagni's kinetic art literally hit home on the rooftops of Hell's Kitc

Full review here.

I genuinely don't know why this series is getting so much praise; It just seems like Soule is treading old ground, first the Hand, now Elektra, we can probably expect an appearance from Fisk and bullseye soon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I genuinely don't know why this series is getting so much praise; It just seems like Soule is treading old ground, first the Hand, now Elektra, we can probably expect an appearance from Fisk and bullseye soon.
    Yeah, I don't understand either. It's not as bad as Shadowland, but it's a very forgettable run. Nothing really bad, but nothing new or surprising.

Agreed. And all the news stories and Q&As make a big deal out of Soule's lawyering, but I've been really underwhelmed by how it's been presented so far.

But my biggest pet peeve (and I know this is going to sound crazy) are the damn hand wraps he's wearing. I get they're meant to harken to DD's boxing roots (and more likely to the TV show in season 1), but hand wraps are just that: you wrap them around your hands and knuckles to create this thick padding -- which would make it nearly impossible for anyone who is reliant on a tight grip as he swings from rooftop to lamp pole to building ledge to hold onto anything. And those clunky boots?! Gah!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I posted my thoughts in this thread

I thought this issue was an improvement.

I think the biggest problem so far with this series is that Soule is relying too much on the darkness that's been associated with DD since Miller's run. I'm not saying that he should be replicating the first part of Waid's run in terms of tonality, but he should be trying to find some way to differentiate himself from the plethora of writers who have tackled DD. Honestly it's just really depressing seeing something as dynamic, interesting and fun as Samnee's work being followed by drab and muted colours on Garney's (Although I do love Ron's work in general). This issue was a bit more interesting because of Buffagni's art though.

I am starting to wonder if Marvel are pushing Soule to include the Hand and Elektra into the fold, which is a shame if it's true. I think there's a lot of missed potential with the character of Blindspot too. Man I sound like such a negative nelly right now

I am starting to wonder if Marvel are pushing Soule to include the Hand and Elektra into the fold, which is a shame if it's true. I think there's a lot of missed potential with the character of Blindspot too. Man I sound like such a negative nelly right now
    The first solicitations we got for this arc were very different (Matt was supposed to go outside NY, there was no mention of Elektra and even the artist was different).
    I guess the tenfinger story was not supposed to end last month but editorial seems to prefer an Elektra story.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    The first solicitations we got for this arc were very different (Matt was supposed to go outside NY, there was no mention of Elektra and even the artist was different).
    I guess the tenfinger story was not supposed to end last month but editorial seems to prefer an Elektra story.
    I wonder that too. Issue 6 was a bit better after everything and with Soule who has proven time and time again to really write great books. Especially with his experience as a lawyer himself. The opening arc started out nice, but then was kind of over. While I am enjoying the book, its not grabbing me like Kesel's work in the 90s or Kelly's. Waid really put the fun back into it, but still kept some dark elements. Brubaker had his "man on the run" story that worked very well and had some lasting effects on Matt. While I do find it very interesting to have Matt as an Assistant DA, but Foggy has been kind of thrown out and we are missing the supporting cast that shined during Bendis's run. However, Daredevil/Punisher #1 while pulling off the current fix on Netflix, was a great read for a mini and what I thought we be getting here in the main book. But you know what? I'm with Soule on the long run here. I haven't had a great Daredevil collection in years and I want to start with this one and I'm not stopping.
    Mooper Films

Mighty Member

Yeah Soule is a great writer. His Daredevil is very underwhelming but I think he has been pressurized by the editorial to match the tone of the comic with the Netflix serie, and it doesn't work. And Blindspot is a very uninteresting sidekick, Daredevil is not Batman, he doesn't need a Robin.

I feel the same. It seems very run of the mill, which isn't what I'm used to when reading Daredevil. It hasn't grabbed me at all yet, and there's not really a good balance at all between Daredevil and Blindspot. Sam got a lot of development and attention in this first arc but Matt's kind of just there. Tenfingers also turned out to be a really lame villain, which is a shame because he started out kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Yeah Soule is a great writer. His Daredevil is very underwhelming but I think he has been pressurized by the editorial to match the tone of the comic with the Netflix serie, and it doesn't work. And Blindspot is a very uninteresting sidekick, Daredevil is not Batman, he doesn't need a Robin.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand either. It's not as bad as Shadowland, but it's a very forgettable run. Nothing really bad, but nothing new or surprising.
    Indubitably.