BANNED

Default Calling all Warhammer 40k Fans

FOR THE EMPEROR

HERITICS SHALL NOT PROSPER

I have been an avid 40k nut, not so much the miniature gaming, but the lore has intrigued more so than any other fictional universe, even over Marvel and DC to some extent....however I have been interested in getting more into the miniature gaming

- What are your some of your favorite things about 40k, lore wise, gaming wise etc.?

BANNED

I love that Orks are basically psychic shrooms.

Nids. Enough said.

Love the Space Marines too. The Emperors finest indeed.

I'm a big fan of the Horus Heresy stuff, especially the novels. They've stalled a bit over the last few years, but the epic sweep of the story is still really well done.

Gaming-wise, I'm more a fantasy guy. Its aesthetic appeals to me more than 40k's.

BANNED

So what's the deal with Warhammer 40k? Just looking at it, and hearing about it, it comes across as this fun comical heavy metal setting. But then I look at something like the video game Eisenhorn: Xenos, which is seemingly based on a series of books, and it seems so un-self aware, and it seems to take itself so seriously that it comes off as completely bizarre. Are all the 40k books like this? Because the setting feels like a parody, but every time I heard about Warhammer 40K books they seem to be less fun and funny, and more just really boring and dumb.

Just asking because not that long ago a saw a big bit of the video Eisenhorn: Xenos, and it just made me go: Oh, wait, is Warhammer 40K meant to be serious, am I meant to take all these stuff seriously?
    Last edited by simbob4000; 05-10-2016 at 07:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    So what's the deal with Warhammer 40k? Just looking at it, and hearing about it, it comes across as this fun comical heavy metal setting. But then I look at something like the video game Eisenhorn: Xenos, which is seemingly based on a series of books, and it seems so un-self aware, and it seems to take itself so seriously that it comes off as completely bizarre. Are all the 40k books like this? Because the setting feels like a parody, but every time I heard about Warhammer 40K books they seem to be less fun and funny, and more just really boring and dumb.

Just asking because not that long ago a saw a big bit of the video Eisenhorn: Xenos, and it just made me go: Oh, wait, is Warhammer 40K meant to be serious, am I meant to take all these stuff seriously?
    It's a bit like Lobo and Judge Dredd: intentionally over the top an satirical, but not every fan gets the joke, and quite a lot of them take it 100% seriously.

And after a while it developed into a franchise and suddenly not every writer gets it anymore because it's gotten too big, with too many writers and too little oversight.

And of course it's gotten weighed down by a ton of continuity.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Love DoW games and I'm even working on figures for my Maelstrom Brotherhood chapter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's a bit like Lobo and Judge Dredd: intentionally over the top an satirical, but not every fan gets the joke, and quite a lot of them take it 100% seriously.

And after a while it developed into a franchise and suddenly not every writer gets it anymore because it's gotten too big, with too many writers and too little oversight.

And of course it's gotten weighed down by a ton of continuity.
    That's basically what I thought. The whole thing just seems so funny with how over-the-top it is. But then I saw the Eisenhorn: Xenos video game, and it's so unfunny. That game seems super serious, but not like a joke, just like you're meant to take 40k seriously...and then I found out it's directly based on a series of book. Finding out that 40K has official stories like that was like only having a rudimentary knowledge of Metalocalypse, only to find it's a completely humorless drama.