View Poll Results: who is your favorite dick grayson persona and in your opinion his best role?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robin

10 9.35%
  • Nightwing

52 48.60%
  • Agenr 37

33 30.84%
  • Batman

12 11.21%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I went with Nightwing because while Grayson was well written, I feel like his character was lacking in agency. It was like watching a James Bond film where Bond's superiors followed him around everywhere and gave him constant orders, and Bond was completely subservient to them. He felt like Helena's sidekick. Dick definitely works best as an independent hero, IMO.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I went with Nightwing because while Grayson was well written, I feel like his character was lacking in agency. It was like watching a James Bond film where Bond's superiors followed him around everywhere and gave him constant orders, and Bond was completely subservient to them. He felt like Helena's sidekick. Dick definitely works best as an independent hero, IMO.
    But Dick was subverting them from within their ranks, and only pretended to be subservient to them while secretly working with Bruce to bring them down. And when Bruce went into happy amnesia land, Dick continued on his own and came up with his own plans.

As Nightwing in recent years, Dick wasn't allowed to be an independent hero. He was just one more of the Bat-Family. Dick being an independent hero working in the larger DC Universe and developing his own mythology would be great whether as Nightwing or not, but there isn't much precedent for the Nightwing identity lending itself to those kind of stories. Not since NTT anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 37 View Post
    I loved him in all the characters he's been. My favourite comic book character by a wide margin.

I agree that Dick as a Robin is his most iconic character, but now the Robin mantle is so watered down it's not as special anymore. And a lot of today's fans may never have read a book with Dick as Robin. But to many HE IS Robin, (I'm one of them.)

I loved Dick as Batman. IMO, he's really the only character with the history and respect, that fans would accept him as Batman's replacement. He could do the job, and in many ways do it better than Bruce, but Dick is not Batman. Its not his personality.

I loved the Grayson run, and Dick as Agent 37. The spy genre fit the character really well, and it only adds to his mythos IMO. But I don't see it as being so black and white. I think Dick doesn't have to be Agent 37 or Nightwing, he can pull off both. I'm hoping this is the case in the upcoming Nightwing series.

It was a tricky choice because they all have good parts of Dick Grayson's history, but it came down to being between Robin and Nightwing, but I went with Nightwing. It was the direction and identity he chose when he left Batman's shadow, and it is one of my favourite comic memories from my youth. Robin is the first thing that pops to mind when I hear Dick Grayson, but then I think , "who became Nightwing". It's just what I relate to.
    The problem is that when I think of the "best" Dick Grayson stories over the last X amount of years I run into the problem that all his best stories are of him as something else other than Nightwing. Batman and Robin, Black Mirror, Batgirl and Robin Year One, and Grayson. Even in the New 52 my favorite issue of him in the reboot (before the Grayson series) was that Batman and Robin Annual about his first mission as Robin that Tomasi wrote. I know he has been Nightwing a lot more, but it makes it difficult to choose that when there isn't anything remarkable from it that stands out. I'd rather choose something that has actual substance to it than just loads and loads of quantity that is mostly useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The problem is that when I think of the "best" Dick Grayson stories over the last X amount of years I run into the problem that all his best stories are of him as something else other than Nightwing. Batman and Robin, Black Mirror, Batgirl and Robin Year One, and Grayson. Even in the New 52 my favorite issue of him in the reboot (before the Grayson series) was that Batman and Robin Annual about his first mission as Robin that Tomasi wrote. I know he has been Nightwing a lot more, but it makes it difficult to choose that when there isn't anything remarkable from it that stands out. I'd rather choose something that has actual substance to it than just loads and loads of quantity that is mostly useless.
    I totally agree with you. Very little argument here. The majority of Dick's best stories haven't been as Nightwing.

If there was a Dick Grayson option I would've chosen it. He's just a versatile character that transcends his disguise. And that's what I see these characters as; Dick Grayson's disguises. Robin is more iconic in every sense of the word, in comparison to Nightwing. Robin is who I think of when I hear Dick Grayson. I just feel as a character, Dick is past that now. He chose to become Nightwing after Robin, and it just stands out for me as a big thing when I was young. I don't necessarily think one is better than the other, I just have a special spot in my heart for Nightwing.

I'm hoping the best Dick Grayson as Nightwing stories are yet to come.
    Last edited by Agent 37; 05-03-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    My favorite Dick Grayson persona is Dick Grayson. Ive enjoyed him in all his roles.
    Here, Here!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I'd personally go with none of the above, since I agree with those who say Dick Grayson is a versatile character.
    Nightwing may not have a "go-to" book that is 100% focused on him, but he does have his scenes where he shines. That has to count for something.

And this is coming from a person that isn't even a huge fan of the this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Here, Here!
    dunno. Didn't enjoy him cheating on Starfire and sleeping with Babs.

A=

Robin, as a partner of Batman, good friend to Superman, leader of the Teen Titans, he was a good character whose place in the DC universe was secure. Nightwing only had that for Dixon's run, with Batman they constantly underline that he doesn't know or outright doesn't think he can live up to being Batman because it's super temporary and with Grayson they have to make increasingly bigger excuses as to why he's a spy and doesn't wear a mask anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    dunno. Didn't enjoy him cheating on Starfire and sleeping with Babs.

A=
    That wasn't what we were talking about.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

HAHHAHA. now Nightwing and Agent 37 are evenly matched.

He has made people adore both roles equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    That wasn't what we were talking about.
    Lies, all lies.

i know

I voted 37 but I liked him as Nightwing as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I voted 37 but I liked him as Nightwing as well.
    I voted Agent 37 too. The character was allowed to grow and actually have his own space and skill set that didn't nessarily overlap with the other Bat Family members. I like the concept of Nightwing especially the Gray Son concept but DC has seemed reluctant to let the character really live up to it's potential because he can't be seen to be anywhere on Batman's level. I think Grayson was the closet to Dick ever getting out of the shadow of the Bat IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    HAHHAHA. now Nightwing and Agent 37 are evenly matched.

He has made people adore both roles equally.
    Dick Grayson could run around in a sweater with a paper bag over his head, and people would still adore him! His charisma is that powerful!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Dick Grayson could run around in a sweater with a paper bag over his head, and people would still adore him! His charisma is that powerful!
    What, no pants?!?