View Poll Results: who is your favorite dick grayson persona and in your opinion his best role?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robin

10 9.35%
  • Nightwing

52 48.60%
  • Agenr 37

33 30.84%
  • Batman

12 11.21%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Dick Grayson: Robin Nightwing Agent 37 Or Batman?

who do you prefer dick grayson as and think is his best persona?

Nightwing. Becoming an independent entity is such a huge part of Dick's character, and isn't present in any of those other roles.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Nightwing. Becoming an independent entity is such a huge part of Dick's character, and isn't present in any of those other roles.
    i agree so much....and it's why Grayson was an easy pass for me because throwing away that entity in favor of making Dick into an undercover spy didn't really make sense

Nightwing, but to say I loved him as Agent 37 would be an understatement. The whole Ethan Hunt spy thing was amazing and Dick did it like he does everything else...with style!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

i actually got complaints on another site for doing this poll without batman as a choice...even though in my opinion saying dick grayon's best role is batman completely goes against his character and says you like batman but not dick grayson

Agent 37. It was nice to see Dick Grayson as something not really that connected to the Bats.

Spectacular Member

I'm going with Agent37. To me that could have been permanent for Dick, he could've been the Batman of spies. Grayson also is Dick in his rawest form. Stripped of a mask, his friends and family, his home, but yet he still remains himself. The biggest thing about Grayson is it proves the point Dick doesn't need a mask, he's been all these other identities and at the end of the day they don't define him because Dick Grayson is who he is. Not Nightwing, not Robin, not batman.... Just Dick

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    i actually got complaints on another site for doing this poll without batman as a choice...even though in my opinion saying dick grayon's best role is batman completely goes against his character and says you like batman but not dick grayson
    Well you skipped Grayson because dick wasn't nightwing so wouldn't that mean that you like nightwing but not dick Grayson

I'd say Robin. It was something unique to him that he created and is his most iconic identity by a wide margin. Nightwing is the only other one that I think can be considered, but he has failed to have the same impact as Nightwing that he had as Robin I think. As Robin he created a genre by himself and is still the gold standard for that type of identity in a lot of ways, and as Nightwing he is kind of a lesser Daredevil, Spider-man or even Batman. After 30 years of being Nightwing he hasn't really had a lot to show for it in terms of stories, rogues, and ability to sell merchandise. He has failed to rise above being B-list as Nightwing.

I don't think he was Batman or Agent 37 long enough to really have them be considered, but I will say that his best solo stories were of him as Batman and Agent 37 by far.
    Last edited by Badou; 05-03-2016 at 04:35 AM.

This was a tough choice. I chose Nightwing because I like what the mantle stands for the best. Nightwing is about the Boy Wonder growing up and becoming his own man, one who is mature and a strong leader, but still optimistic and good-natured. I also prefer the Nightwing's costume the best for an adult Dick. The Robin costume was good, but only for a kid. Sadly, the Nightwing mantle is probably the one with the least of Dick's good and important stories, which is telling since he has spent nearly half of his 75 years as Nightwing. I don't think that this is a shortcoming of the mantle itself, I firmly believe that we can get good stories with Dick as Nightwing, but rather a lack of prioritization by the higher ups. They see Nightwing as a B-List Batman-lite or Robin senior, a title that will still sell decently if they don't push him. Why create a good Nightwing story when you can make it a better selling Batman story?

When Dick is out of his Nightwing persona is when DC decides to give him his proper treatment since it is no longer a guaranteed middle-tier seller. Due to this, most good Dick Grayson stories occur outside the role of Nightwing.

Robin was iconic, probably Dick's most iconic mantle, but one that he can't return to. The role has been filled and he has progressed too far to return. Though I didn't like the concept of Dickbats, some of his best stories and showings came from this period, from leading the Justice League to stories like Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn and Black Mirror. His time as Agent 37 was a fun adventure, and one that was ended too soon. There were still more stories to tell of Dick as a spy. I appreciate his characterization of his character- his humanity and good nature. I like that Grayson showed that he was Dick first and foremost, not his alter ego. His look wasn't iconic or marketable though, hardly visually interesting.

For better or worse, Nightwing is now and forever Dick's status quo. He can no longer return to Robin and any stint as Batman will only be temporary. Him taking a new mantle loses the immediate connection to the "Robin grown up" aspect of Nightwing. Robin -> Nightwing -> _____ is not as compelling for a coming of age story as the immediate Robin -> Nightwing. The buffer zone of Nightwing weakens any future mantles for Dick, blocking it off from his Robinhood.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 05-03-2016 at 04:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

He should be batman honestly
    But since Dianna and Clark won't give it up neither will bruce

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Nightwing:
    1) Nightwing is iconic (and more marketable)
    2) Dick is a superhero and Nightwing is a superhero persona (Agent 37 is a conspicuously spy persona, and yes, you can have spy characters in superhero comics, but Dick is infinitely moreso a superhero character and can't stay a spy character in a superhero universe)
    3) Nightwing represents all that Dick Grayson won for himself over the years as independent multidimensional grown character. Nightwing in a live action movie/show will really drive that point home.

Agent 37 was a great status quo change for Dick, all characters get those changes now & then. But you can't leave the character there forever if it's not really what the character is about.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-03-2016 at 10:43 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Dick is Nightwing and maybe he could be Batman if only DC has the gut to let his characters grow-up and evolve.
    Agent 37 it's a transitional phase that don't really fit him.

Anyway Grayson has been one of the best things DC did in the New52, only because King/Seeley/Janin did an incomparable job, showing their know-how and their love towards the former boy wonder. The premises for that book was very bad, but with a great work they managed to turn it out into a big success.
    But Dick is a superhero and not a spy and i'm happy he'll come back to his core, hoping Seeley (left alone) could proceed on the great job he did on that character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Dick is Nightwing and maybe he could be Batman if only DC has the gut to let his characters grow-up and evolve.
    Agent 37 it's a transitional phase that don't really fit him.

Anyway Grayson has been one of the best things DC did in the New52, only because King/Seeley/Janin did an incomparable job, showing their know-how and their love towards the former boy wonder. The premises for that book was very bad, but with a great work they managed to turn it out into a big success.
    But Dick is a superhero and not a spy and i'm happy he'll come back to his core, hoping Seeley (left alone) could proceed on the great job he did on that character.
    i agree....in a world filled with superheroes(some with magical and psychic based abilities)being a top secret undercover agent seems not only stupid but impossible

Though question but I will go with Agent 37, though I prefer to say Agent Grayson.
    He was finally out of the Bat influence, had his own corner in the DC universe and formed new relationships. It was a really fresh direction and it could have become something far more than just Dick vs. Spyral. It also found a really nice balance between the Robin and post-DiscoWing!Nightwing persona.