View Poll Results: who is your favorite dick grayson persona and in your opinion his best role?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robin

10 9.35%
  • Nightwing

52 48.60%
  • Agenr 37

33 30.84%
  • Batman

12 11.21%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

a test search on deviantart revealed the following

Nightwing(50,921 results)
    Agent 37 Dick Grayson(26 Results)

2 years....and all deviantart could dig up in a search was 26 pictures related to Agent 37 Grayson

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post

2 years....and all deviantart could dig up in a search was 26 pictures related to Agent 37 Grayson
    Is it just me, or are you trying really hard to discount everything Grayson?

Just an example from me, but when I search for Dick Grayson on Tumblr I actually only put Dick Grayson into the search box. I stopped using Nightwing ages ago and similarly when I make a post about Dick from Grayson I forget to put Agent 37 to the hashtags most of the time because Dick is the central point of my focus.

Not his blue, his fingerstripes or his costumes.
    DC Comics: Grayson, Batman and Robin Eternal, Robin Son of Batman, Starfire, We Are Robin, Earth 2 Society, Superman: Lois and Clark, Cyborg, Midnighter, Titans Hunt

BANNED

not trying to discount it but it weirds me out how 2 years after he became agent 37 there's still not a single piece of merchandise featuring him like that and very very few fan pictures of him compared to the mountains of nightwing fan pictures i can easily find online

Burnside Batgirl has far more fan art than Agent 37 Grayson and actual merchandise....DC Acknowledges her change and T-Shirts with her in that appearance exist and can be found at comic shops

but spyral grayson seems like an idea that DC themselves hated and didn't want to mention it unless they had to

why is that?

2 years is not that long of a time, thats 24 issues. Nightwing has 30 years on Agent 37 so of course there are mountains more Nightwing pictures u can easily find online. Burnside Batgirl is still marketed off, and is a part and extension of the Batgirl brand. Plus it was aimed for the tumblr/fan art making crowd, and also even called out for fanart as part of its marketing campaign. Gayson in general is just harder to sell as a brand. There isn't a fancy or trendy looking superhero costume or logo thats comes with it, and its not really something kids will eat up. DC didn't hate it or hide it. Its just seem like maybe they weren't actually trying to create a new brand with Grayson liked some had hoped, and it was more that they were just looking to shake the character up for a bit. They probably knew going in that it would create an opportunity to bring Nightwing back and sell its return at some point.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-06-2016 at 04:31 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    2 years is not that long of a time, thats 24 issues. Nightwing has 30 years on Agent 37 so of course there are mountains more Nightwing pictures u can easily find online. Burnside Batgirl is still marketed off, and is a part and extension of the Batgirl brand. Plus it was aimed for the tumblr/fan art making crowd, and also even called out for fanart as part of its marketing campaign. Gayson in general is just harder to sell as a brand. There isn't a fancy or trendy looking superhero costume or logo thats comes with it, and its not really something kids will eat up. DC didn't hate it or hide it. Its just seem like maybe they weren't actually trying to create a new brand with Grayson liked some had hoped, and it was more that they were just looking to shake the character up for a bit. They probably knew going in that it would create an opportunity to bring Nightwing back and sell its return at some point.
    I wonder if tim seeley knew that grayson was probably just a marketing stunt to increase demand for a new nightwing series

WOW. Agent 37 win again..

Which is sort of strange when you have a comic book with the title Agent 37.
    (Oh, wait, the book isn't titled "Agent 37". I wonder how many people even worry about what agent number he is?)

I wonder if tim seeley knew that grayson was probably just a marketing stunt to increase demand for a new nightwing series
    It wasn't exactly all a marketing stunt. I'm sure everyone knew they would eventually return the character back to Nightwing. They probably didn't think it would be so soon though.

You also have to remember the circumstances surrounding the character at the time. Johns exposed his identity to the world in Forever Evil (which was a stunt to sell his event book) but at the same time the Batman books were doing their own Endgame and Eternal stories. So Dick having his identity exposed sort of conflicted with those stories and they didn't exactly what to interrupt them and deal with Dick's exposed identity. So they decided to turn him into a spy and launch the Grayson book which was a way for the Batman office to write out the character from Gotham and the ongoing Batman stories so they wouldn't have to stop what they were doing and deal with his exposed identity, or figure out how to incorporate it into the stories they already had planned out.

Incredible Member

Dick's the one Robin who really fully graduated from the role so unless you go for a full hard reboot back to the early days, that's just not him anymore.
    Conversely, as much as I loved him as Batman to Damian's Robin, him being the eldest simply isn't sufficient reason to force a dark, broody mantle onto him that never has and never will fit him.
    Dick lives in a superhero world and grew up as a superhero - while befriending pretty much the whole superhero community, to boot - (plus with a love for acrobatics and a distaste for guns), so as well-written as the Grayson series may be, being a spy just doesn't really suit him (albeit more so than being a cop of all things).
    Therefore Nightwing. Always Nightwing.
    Last edited by twincast; 05-06-2016 at 11:20 AM.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Dick's the one Robin who really fully graduated from the role so unless you go for a full hard reboot back to the early days, that's just not him anymore.
    Conversely, as much as I loved him as Batman to Damian's Robin, him being the eldest simply isn't sufficient reason to force a dark, broody mantle onto him that never has and never will fit him.
    Dick lives in a superhero world and grew up as a superhero - while befriending pretty much the whole superhero community, to boot - (plus with a love for acrobatics and a distaste for guns), so as well-written as the Grayson series may be, being a spy just doesn't really suit him (albeit more so than being a cop of all things).
    Therefore Nightwing. Always Nightwing.
    You found Grayson brooding?? Either you haven't read it or you and I are reading different book altogether

not trying to discount it but it weirds me out how 2 years after he became agent 37 there's still not a single piece of merchandise featuring him like that and very very few fan pictures of him compared to the mountains of nightwing fan pictures i can easily find online
    But how many of those fan pictures of Dick as Nightwing are really homo-erotic geek-boy wet dreams?

Astonishing Member

Nightwing had 30+ years to prove itself. Some moment where it could rise above the sea of generic comic book schlock l, but it never did. No noteworthy villains, supporting cast, or moments that weren't connected to the Titans. In these past 30 years his big moments have been when he shed the Nightwing mantle for something grander and more important those being Batman and Agent 37. Nightwing is diet-cola Batman, his world diet-cola Gotham, and his "rogues" diet-cola Daredevil.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by yash View Post
    You found Grayson brooding??
    ...I never said that, you know.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Nightwing had 30+ years to prove itself. Some moment where it could rise above the sea of generic comic book schlock l, but it never did. No noteworthy villains, supporting cast, or moments that weren't connected to the Titans. In these past 30 years his big moments have been when he shed the Nightwing mantle for something grander and more important those being Batman and Agent 37. Nightwing is diet-cola Batman, his world diet-cola Gotham, and his "rogues" diet-cola Daredevil.
    Harsh...but 100% truth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But how many of those fan pictures of Dick as Nightwing are really homo-erotic geek-boy wet dreams?
    Bueno. Bueno..excellente!