View Poll Results: who is your favorite dick grayson persona and in your opinion his best role?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robin

10 9.35%
  • Nightwing

52 48.60%
  • Agenr 37

33 30.84%
  • Batman

12 11.21%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Nightwing had 30+ years to prove itself. Some moment where it could rise above the sea of generic comic book schlock l, but it never did. No noteworthy villains, supporting cast, or moments that weren't connected to the Titans. In these past 30 years his big moments have been when he shed the Nightwing mantle for something grander and more important those being Batman and Agent 37. Nightwing is diet-cola Batman, his world diet-cola Gotham, and his "rogues" diet-cola Daredevil.
    is green arrow honestly any better than nightwing? the people writing arrow don't even know who the hell he's suppose to be fighting so they just randomly toss batman villains at him

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    is green arrow honestly any better than nightwing? the people writing arrow don't even know who the hell he's suppose to be fighting so they just randomly toss batman villains at him
    Because Green Arrow (like Nightwing) doesn't really has a Rogue Gallery in the Comics. And the majority is own villains were actually created in the last 15 years, and only appeared in one or two story arcs.

Wait someone is judging Dick Grayson's role on fan art? Why?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Nightwing doing Agent 37 stuff. There's no reason we can't merge that status quo with the infinitely cooler identity.

This. Before Chuck Dixon left the book, he was going to have Dick be under cover to root out corruption on the BludHave PD. There is absolutely no reason why Dick can't function as a hero out of costume. Actually such stories, speak to his legacy of being Robin (and what Bruce would have taught him) where he would use different strategies and personas to get the job done.

Yeah, I voted Nightwing for identity, but I'd like to see Agent 37 functionality.

I still think that the Grayson costume held the book back a bit. It was too visually boring for a visual medium.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Yeah, I voted Nightwing for identity, but I'd like to see Agent 37 functionality.

I still think that the Grayson costume held the book back a bit. It was too visually boring for a visual medium.
    yeah i think that's my biggest problem with Agent 37.....above all else his costume sucks...to go from this http://pre08.deviantart.net/b09e/th/...09-d9a5myf.jpg to this http://static4.comicvine.com/uploads...7118-tumbl.jpg

it makes far more sense for something like a standard spy film but for something connected to the dc universe a world filled with characters who wear colorful iconic outfits it doesn't help him stand out in a good way

even for cosplay it's not all that interesting

Spectacular Member

I voted Nightwing just because I've read more quality stories with the character than in any other role but as some have already said and I totally agree if I was given a good Dick Grayson story it wouldn't matter to me,

I was one of the confused fans when Grayson was announced but when the issues came round I was enjoying every one, I understand there is a better market for Nightwing and it's a shame Grayson was never released as 24 issues and 3 annuals with the same team before he would return as Nightwing, it would have encouraged more being open minded and accepting of the new role unfortunately we're quite close minded when it comes to our favourite characters and what we expect from them

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    Which ones?

His biggest (and better acclaimed) comic runs don`t have "Batman villains tossed" at him, IMO.

They're talking about the TV show

BANNED

I thought they might, but nothing in that exchange mentions which media it is. I`d be a moot point since Nigthwing doesn`t have a tv show to compare with.

The tv show doesn`t just throw random Batman villains at Arrow. The League was the driving point of a whole season and Deathstroke isn`t part of Batman`s rogues gallery. Since in this verse Arrow starts this whole public eye hero movement, they have been using DCU villains and allies at large. It`s thanks to him that we meet Waller and the Squad and the Flash, etc.

The most random character of the Bat trop that showed up was the Huntress in S1. I kind of say random because all she was used for was to be a love interest who happened to share the same double life, even if there was that Mafia wars plot going.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 05-07-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    They're talking about the TV show
    I guess that's because nobody bothers to read his comic books?

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Nightwing had 30+ years to prove itself. Some moment where it could rise above the sea of generic comic book schlock l, but it never did. No noteworthy villains, supporting cast, or moments that weren't connected to the Titans. In these past 30 years his big moments have been when he shed the Nightwing mantle for something grander and more important those being Batman and Agent 37. Nightwing is diet-cola Batman, his world diet-cola Gotham, and his "rogues" diet-cola Daredevil.
    Nightwing was CREATED as a Teen Titans character. Why are you holding the years he was just that against him for not making connections outside the Teen Titans, might as well hold it against Agent 37 that he doesn't seem to have much of an impact outside of the spyworld, beside visits to Gotham, or Robin for just spending years at a time doing nothing but hanging with Batman. For that matter why are you holding the years he was Batman, not Nightwing, against Nightwing?

Beyond that (and my not understanding why new connections with new Titans/Batverse characters somehow don't count), I liked his role in Obsidian Age, I liked his friendship with Deadman. Superman too, even if it calls upon the history with him and Batman as Robin, their adult friendship that doesn't require Batman is much better.

And Dick Grayson IS a superhero character in a superhero universe where superhero teamups happens. Grayson was never ever gonna change that. Not that I don't agree that instead of being dietcola Daredevil or dietcola Batman, Nightwing should instead try to keep the Grayson characterisation alive.

And thus be dietcola Midnighter instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I thought they might, but nothing in that exchange mentions which media it is. I`d be a moot point since Nigthwing doesn`t have a tv show to compare with.

The tv show doesn`t just throw random Batman villains at Arrow. The League was the driving point of a whole season and Deathstroke isn`t part of Batman`s rogues gallery. Since in this verse Arrow starts this whole public eye hero movement, they have been using DCU villains and allies at large. It`s thanks to him that we meet Waller and the Squad and the Flash, etc.

The most random character of the Bat trop that showed up was the Huntress in S1. I kind of say random because all she was used for was to be a love interest who happened to share the same double life, even if there was that Mafia wars plot going.
    The show has had more Teen Titans villains than Bat villains tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Nightwing was CREATED as a Teen Titans character. Why are you holding the years he was just that against him for not making connections outside the Teen Titans, might as well hold it against Agent 37 that he doesn't seem to have much of an impact outside of the spyworld, beside visits to Gotham, or Robin for just spending years at a time doing nothing but hanging with Batman. For that matter why are you holding the years he was Batman, not Nightwing, against Nightwing?

Beyond that (and my not understanding why new connections with new Titans/Batverse characters somehow don't count), I liked his role in Obsidian Age, I liked his friendship with Deadman. Superman too, even if it calls upon the history with him and Batman as Robin, their adult friendship that doesn't require Batman is much better.

And Dick Grayson IS a superhero character in a superhero universe where superhero teamups happens. Grayson was never ever gonna change that. Not that I don't agree that instead of being dietcola Daredevil or dietcola Batman, Nightwing should instead try to keep the Grayson characterisation alive.

Good post. Especially the bolded. That's the thing about the diet cola label: more often than not, it's based entirely on a character having the most superficial of characteristics to another. Daredevil, for instance, has been dubbed diet cola Batman as well as diet cola Spider-Man. He's grim and gritty vigilante who's adventures primarily take place at night, has a dead parental figure just like Peter and Bruce, has a love interest who is either a villain or antihero depending on how she's written, has a villain who uses fear gas, the Hand could be considered similar to the League of Assassins as they're both ninja organizations that have methods of resurrecting people. Hell, two of his most notable antagonists, Kingpin and Punisher, made their debuts on the pages of Spider-Man.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post

I don't think the World is holding Nightwing's time with the Titans against him. I don't think anybody is, because like you said it was an identity created for that franchise. Taking Nightwing away from the Titans is where the problems began, because nothing of much value has been created in its place.

How does being Agent 37 turn him into dietcola Midnighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Good post. Especially the bolded. That's the thing about the diet cola label: more often than not, it's based entirely on a character having the most superficial of characteristics to another. Daredevil, for instance, has been dubbed diet cola Batman as well as diet cola Spider-Man. He's grim and gritty vigilante who's adventures primarily take place at night, has a dead parental figure just like Peter and Bruce, has a love interest who is either a villain or antihero depending on how she's written, has a villain who uses fear gas, the Hand could be considered similar to the League of Assassins as they're both ninja organizations that have methods of resurrecting people. Hell, two of his most notable antagonists, Kingpin and Punisher, made their debuts on the pages of Spider-Man.
    But while you might see superficial similarities between comparisons, others might view the differences as being superficial. With the choice of Scott Macdaniel as artist and Blockbuster pretty much being the Kingpin, it's hard to not see Nightwing as DC's answer to Daredevil at a quick glance. And a quick glance is all most readers give any comic they're considering to buy before either deciding to get it or moving on. From a marketing standpoint, you have to grab your readers with the initial hook.

The entire setup of that era for Nightwing is just not that unique. A lone vigilante in a corrupt city is a rehash of Batman's thing, there's no way around it. Daredevil might receive that criticism as well, but at least he's a part of a different company and canon. Dick is with DC. Bludhaven being labeled a worse city than Gotham is a pretty transparent attempt by the creative team to build up interest in it by comparing it to the much more well known fictional city, but it didn't really work because nobody cares about Bludhaven aside from Dixon-era Nightwing fans. Nightwing may have a more sunny outlook than Batman which is an interesting contrast, but it only goes so far, especially when his city lacks Gotham's distinct personality and his villains pale in comparison to the Joker, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze and the rest.