Page 2 of 228 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

The Captain America part of the MCU is even stronger to me than Tony's.
    Glad I am not the only one that thinks this. Tony gets the hype and the dollars but Cap feels like the heart of the MCU.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Glad I am not the only one that thinks this. Tony gets the hype and the dollars but Cap feels like the heart of the MCU.
    Tony is the more cynical of the two. Both of them have lived through something that the other has only experienced second hand via history books, movies. So there is a bit of a gulf between them. Cap has made some adjustments but I think he still is going to be more sincere and I hate to use the term but more "old time morality. You won't see Steve joking about wanting Prima Nocti if he became ruler of Asgard.

RDJ really has done a great job in helping to get the MCU launched. A lot was riding on his movie and they really nailed it. But Chris Evans is pulling a lot of weight too IMO and he's handled it very well.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Chris Evans does a great job as Cap. Not a real fan of the comic version but I find Evans makes the on screen version easily likeable simply by being a genuine good guy free from modern day cynicism and any depressing outlook on everyday life. At least that's how I see him in the first 2 films. Haven't seen the current Civil War one yet.

I can almost forget that Evans was once the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four movies not that many years ago.

Are we going to keep this strictly to the MCU movies or can other studios Marvel movies be discussed as well? Animation included?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Are we going to keep this strictly to the MCU movies or can other studios Marvel movies be discussed as well? Animation included?
    MCU and the tv properties that are part of it.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Well, I've got a few movies to catch up on, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Darkworld and GotG. I'm waiting for all the Netflix series to be released on Blu-ray.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Ant-Man and the GOTG are the only 2 movies I didn't see on release. Haven't seen any Netflix Marvel series but Iron Fist sounds promising.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Do I have weird politics? Iron Man comes across less as a bully than I thought. In fact Cap 3 might have my favourite MCU Tony Stark so far (I never had problems with IM II and III even like them more than the first) but its hard not to support Cap. Chris Evan's rocks. Sebastian Stan, Chadwick Boseman... wow
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 05-03-2016 at 09:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Waiting to see how they do Captain Marvel's costume. Hopefully they unveil some art at SDCC.
    I sure hope so. If we don't get something, then I'll have to kill a puppy with my bare hands.

Anyways, I just started a Captain America marathon yesterday. I watched Captain America: The First Avenger, and it was great. Peggy and Steve have some real great scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    I sure hope so. If we don't get something, then I'll have to kill a puppy with my bare hands.

Anyways, I just started a Captain America marathon yesterday. I watched Captain America: The First Avenger, and it was great. Peggy and Steve have some real great scenes.
    I watched TWS against last night, easily my second favorite MCU film so far, behind Avengers. Only 3 more movies left but I am skipping GoG because I simply don't have time to get it in at this point.

I just LOVE the politcal themes behind the "letting people voluntarily give up their freedom vs taking it" statement. Fits so well in the post 9-11 real world. And is 100x deeper than any forced Jesus metaphors.

Hell, IM3 "give people someone scary thing" is deep as **** and meta too. But, since it had jokes, MCU = kiddy **** of course.

I will watch Age of Ultron tonight. I haven't seen it in a long time actually (since I saw it in theaters 3x) so it will be interesting how I feel about it. I loved it in theaters, but a ways below Avengers and WS. Sometimes the MCU movies get better or worse with multiple viewings... like Cap 1 I like less than I originally did (the montage in the middle there is kinda meh for me). IM2 I like slightly more (because the SHIELD connections don't feel so forced now). Thor 2 I like more but thor 1 I like a touch less.

Just to round our some MCU news the last few days...

Black Widow is most wanted solo film.... in relation to Falcon, WM, Vision, Hawkeye, and SW
    So, in other words, water is wet. A SHIELD/Hawk/BW movie was such a missed opportunity back in the day

CW broke the BvS pre-sale record and is set to make $190mil in the US this weekend
    The hype is real

Russo's say there is a "strong chance" a LGBT character ends up in the MCU
    Judging by the rage of racebending, I don't the internet could handle sexual orientation bending, which is pretty much what they would have to do with all the LGBT characters in the X world

CW writers want to write Namor
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I just LOVE the politcal themes behind the "letting people voluntarily give up their freedom vs taking it" statement. Fits so well in the post 9-11 real world. And is 100x deeper than any forced Jesus metaphors.

Hell, IM3 "give people someone scary thing" is deep as **** and meta too. But, since it had jokes, MCU = kiddy **** of course.
    Yup, get that attitude a lot and it never ceases to annoy.

Speaking of depth - and since you were gonna watch Age of Ultron - I will never grow tired of this bit:

(couldn't find it in better quality but you've prolly seen it before)

This scene is crafted so perfectly, with the melancholic score at the start and the bright but oddly cold sunlight framing Vision and Ultron. And the words from Vision always cut deep, especially at the quiet agreement that humanity is still "doomed" but that doesn't make our struggles meaningless. "A thing isn't beautiful because it lasts" is something we - all of us - don't really hear often enough as we constantly look ahead with gloomy prospects at the big scythe-wielding skeletal chap waiting to greet us. A fleeting life is no less important or wondrous than a prolonged one, and we all waste so much time mourning the dead's passing rather than celebrating what they accomplished while they were here.

Although my real favourite part is that Whedon chose to redirect the focus of that line onto Ultron. Because while Vision's words do express his feelings toward humanity...he's talking about Ultron too. Even after everything that went down in that film, Vision carries no hatred for his twisted mechanical father, and if he realistically could save him, he would. He can't, of course, but he still wants Ultron to know that he loves him before the end.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I watched Captain America: The First Avenger again fairly recently and it still holds up really well to me. I like the how it captures the way sci fi tech would look in the 1940s and that almost art deco version of a speeding train. My father was a WWII veteran (tail gunner on a B-17) and I feel that if he were still alive to see this movie he would have loved it. They solved the problem of the corny kid sidekick by making Bucky a friend from the neighborhood and I think that was a brilliant stroke.

(And for the record IMO Chris Evans as the Human Torch was one of the few bright spots in the Fantastic Four films )

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post

Speaking of depth - and since you were gonna watch Age of Ultron - I will never grow tired of this bit:

This scene is crafted so perfectly, with the melancholic score at the start and the bright but oddly cold sunlight framing Vision and Ultron. And the words from Vision always cut deep, especially at the quiet agreement that humanity is still "doomed" but that doesn't make our struggles meaningless. "A thing isn't beautiful because it lasts" is something we - all of us - don't really hear often enough as we constantly look ahead with gloomy prospects at the big scythe-wielding skeletal chap waiting to greet us. A fleeting life is no less important or wondrous than a prolonged one, and we all waste so much time mourning the dead's passing rather than celebrating what they accomplished while they were here.

Although my real favourite part is that Whedon chose to redirect the focus of that line onto Ultron. Because while Vision's words do express his feelings toward humanity...he's talking about Ultron too. Even after everything that went down in that film, Vision carries no hatred for his twisted mechanical father, and if he realistically could save him, he would. He can't, of course, but he still wants Ultron to know that he loves him before the end.
    And it's got Ultron stuck in a body with a face that more resembles his comic look, which makes it a win-win for me .

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post

this x1000. Awesome scene. Just awesome. Deep as hell and fit perfectly with the movie.

but... he told a joke at the very end so... kiddy **** of course.

MCU obviously focuses on "fun" more than anything. Which I love. But there is some depth in places if you pay attention. GOOD depth there. Not "hit you over the head" depth.

But speaking of non action MCU stuff.... Thor/Loki chat on the boat ship on the Dark World is one of my favorites. Hell, everytime those two get on screen together its just great