Page 101 of 228 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 3417

Agreed; I think Jones is doing the role well, and I like his acting, but he's not jacked enough.

In his defense, Charlie Cox isn't crazy buff either, but Jones is supposed to be the ultimate kung fu master; I expect more muscle definition (and more scars for that matter).

Still, other than that I've enjoyed the show.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Having finished the series a couple nights back, I'd say Iron Fist winds up suffering from a lot of the same problems that have plagued the Netflix sub-universe from its inception. It's shoddily paced, there's far too much darkness (by which I mean literal darkness, i.e. I can't see ****, why does nobody in New York pay their goddamn bills), it's clearly working with a pretty tight budget, the villains often hog more airtime than the hero, and there's a real reluctance to acknowledge/respect anything that screams 'comic book'. That last one especially pisses me off, since being free to indulge in the bolder and more crazily imaginative aspects of comics is a big part of my love for the MCU; the Netflix shows by comparison are almost DC-ish in how embarrassed they are of costumes and colour.

That being said, every other season so far had a strong basis in story or theme that let them overcome those weaknesses. Daredevil S1 gets a pass partly because it was first, so we were all inclined to be generous, but it also had Vincent D'Onofrio's Fisk, probably still the most fleshed-out villain in the whole MCU, pulling you along when Matt's moping and the legal hullaballoo dragged. DDS2 had Jon Bernthal's excellent Punisher right from the off, and even when the back half of the season got a bit meandering with its weird take on Elektra and vague Hand plotting, Castle was still on the edges, filling out the rest of his journey. Jessica Jones used a superhero framework to tell a story about sexual abuse and the awful lives of its survivors, subjects that the world at large shames by tiptoeing around. And Luke Cage did its best to bring black culture and history to a mainstream audience that typically either ignores it or doesn't know it exists.

Iron Fist doesn't really have anything like that. It's very difficult to pin down what the show is actually about on any thematic level. Sometimes it looks like it's going to be about (of all things) morality in big business, but that doesn't last. It doesn't say anything meaningful about cultural appropriation, even though the title character has always been steeped in that. And while I recall some pre-release talk about how the show would comment on the 'white saviour' dynamic, it doesn't really do that either, beyond having a character we're disinclined to trust (Davos) repeatedly insist that Danny is a crappy Iron Fist. It's just kind of empty overall, and it's not exciting or aesthetically pleasing enough to compensate for a lack of meat.

spoilers:
    Also: the final battle of the show about a mystically-empowered kung fu man who is the sworn enemy of a ninja death cult is just that man on a rooftop hiding from a middle-aged businessman with a pistol. What.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Finn Jones really should have hit the gym harder though, he doesnt look like a guy who spent years training in a monastery to become a living weapon.
    Looked more like a college brat who spent his gap year hiking through Tibet and came back claiming he had a 'spiritual awakening' because he watched some bald dudes meditate and got a funny tattoo.

Regrettably, this is also what Danny sounds like in the show.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

I dont expect to see Parker given a large role in any of these films, but a cameo at the least should be expected. These are Spider characters, and Spider-Man is a huge, huge name. It would be foolish for Sony not to use that to their advantage, especially just to benefit a rival company.

You may be right about them not using Gwen because she's derivative, but they're using Venom, and he's tied closer to Spider-Man than Spider-Gwen is.
    I think it may also be because Gwen's already gonna be a big focus in the new Spider-Man show, and we know Sony's been trying to make a Black Cat movie for a while, so just decided to go ahead with that. Probably most recently brought in Silver Sable as well since Black Cat most likely can't sustain a film all by herself.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I dont expect to see Parker given a large role in any of these films, but a cameo at the least should be expected. These are Spider characters, and Spider-Man is a huge, huge name. It would be foolish for Sony not to use that to their advantage, especially just to benefit a rival company.

You may be right about them not using Gwen because she's derivative, but they're using Venom, and he's tied closer to Spider-Man than Spider-Gwen is.
    Which is exactly why I'm not expecting him to appear at all, given Sony's track record .

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Having finished the series a couple nights back, I'd say Iron Fist winds up suffering from a lot of the same problems that have plagued the Netflix sub-universe from its inception. It's shoddily paced, there's far too much darkness (by which I mean literal darkness, i.e. I can't see ****, why does nobody in New York pay their goddamn bills), it's clearly working with a pretty tight budget, the villains often hog more airtime than the hero, and there's a real reluctance to acknowledge/respect anything that screams 'comic book'. That last one especially pisses me off, since being free to indulge in the bolder and more crazily imaginative aspects of comics is a big part of my love for the MCU; the Netflix shows by comparison are almost DC-ish in how embarrassed they are of costumes and colour.
    Its funny, because a lot of the things you complain about here I see as strengths. The pacing issues some of the shows have had (actually, all of them except maybe Jessica Jones?) is true enough, but I've never had a hard time with the shows being too dark to see anything. Do you have an old tv perhaps? /shrug. And Netflix has given us the best villains in the MCU outside of Loki (and I'd argue that Kingpin and Killgrave were both better, though that's just personal preference) so the more screen time the better, I say. And I think the "anti-costume/comic book" complaint is a little unfair. Two of the four characters don't wear costumes to begin with, and the Netflix shows are supposed to be the middle ground between regular people and the crazy, bigger-than-life superheroes who hang out in giant skyscrapers and drink with gods and aliens and robots. So the Defenders *should* drift away from those sensibilities for something more grounded. That's the niche the shows were built to fill. And there's plenty of silly comic book stuff; the Hand bring people back from the dead, superpowers are a thing, and (SPOILERS FOR IRON FIST) Danny's origin goes way deeper into the mysticism than I expected it would even hint at.

Regrettably, this is also what Danny sounds like in the show.
    I haven't noticed it as much in the middle of the season (maybe I just got used to it), but the first few episodes, definitely. As Ive said (I think?) Im not an Iron Fist expert, in fact the most Ive seen of the character is on that Spider-Man cartoon (my son used to watch that show all the time). And in the cartoon Danny comes out with that fortune cookie stuff constantly, so when it popped up on Netflix I wasn't surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which is exactly why I'm not expecting him to appear at all, given Sony's track record .
    Ha! Too true!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Anyone see this? Ultimately, Iron Man 3 earned more for Marvel Studios than Avengers: Age of Ultron

Total profits for recent comic book movies.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Another one. I'd be tempted to call this article a click-bait, but maybe there is some truth to what it is saying.

Iron Fist Is The Second Biggest Marvel Netflix Show
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Deadlines calculations of ACTUAL profit for some recent comic movies

Here's how that amount would compare with the profits from recent Superhero films calculated by the folks at Deadline:

Iron Man 3 - $391.8m
    Avengers Age of Ultron - $382.3m
    Guardians of the Galaxy - $204.2m

Big Hero 6 - $187.3m
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - $166.2m
    Thor The Dark World - $139.4m

Batman V. Superman - $105m
    Ant-Man - $103.9m
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $81.31m
    X-men Days of Future Past - $77.4m
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $70.4m
    Man of Steel - $42.7m

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batma...y-earn-a149858

no wonder they give RDJ all the money, holy moly IM3

EDIT: **** I didn't scroll up enough lol

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Anyone see this? Ultimately, Iron Man 3 earned more for Marvel Studios than Avengers: Age of Ultron

Total profits for recent comic book movies.

production budget alone with 50 million cheaper. These avenger movies are expensive.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Red Hulk would be a pretty good final villain for the T-Bolts to take out under Zemo, "cutting their strings" if Ross is originally the one running them and then just loses control of himself for reasons.

Though I do hope we'd get to see him fight the real Hulk, in the event the transformation ever happens.
    That's my thought as well, I would put the Abomination in the team as well and when the T-Bolts turns on Ross we will have a Rulk Vs Abomnation fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    That's my thought as well, I would put the Abomination in the team as well and when the T-Bolts turns on Ross we will have a Rulk Vs Abomnation fight.
    I wonder if Abomination could take Atlas' place...

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar