Page 8 of 228 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Anyone else find the Cap/Iron Man fight at the end a bit over-the-top? I'm speaking of course about the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    ...But nah, "Maaaaarthaaaa" is much more emotiona;
    WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAAAAAAAMMMMMEEEE???????!

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Anyone else find the Cap/Iron Man fight at the end a bit over-the-top? I'm speaking of course about the result.
    Not really? I mean, it's a lot more unambiguously violent and 'dirty' than the other battles in the film - intentionally so - but as soon as you get to...

spoilers:
    "I don't care. He killed my mom."
    end of spoilers

...delivered the way it is, you know it's gonna get nasty and fast.

As to how it actually ends, I don't think it could've ended any other way without somebody dying. By that point the feud has extended past either side's original goals or the ideological schism that broke them apart; it's just bitterness and betrayal that's swallowed up Stark and Cap equally, just as it did Zemo and very nearly T'Challa. I think we've all, at some point, been in an argument where you wind up realizing the other side is right but you can't bring yourself to stop because it feels like admitting defeat. The last fight in Civil War is that, but with punching instead of pissy forum posts.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Is that the same voice he used when he said, "Here's your shield Captain America !" Lol

Paul Rudd was so purposefully corny saying that line. I don't think enough people appreciated how geeked up Ant-Man was to be fighting beside Captain America.
    I liked how he referenced Finding Nemo.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    I think we've all, at some point, been in an argument where you wind up realizing the other side is right but you can't bring yourself to stop because it feels like admitting defeat. The last fight in Civil War is that, but with punching instead of pissy forum posts.
    That is like the best analogy ever.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

No.

You had Iron Man fighting for his spoilers:
    dead parents
    end of spoilers and you had Cap fighting for his spoilers:
    best friend and only connection left to his past life
    end of spoilers.

It had to be like that. It had to be much more... real? and emotional than the airport fight. What I found... shocking? was that the look on Tony's face... he really thought Cap was going to spoilers:
    kill him
    end of spoilers. That is how emotionally invested he was. He thought it was a fight ot the spoilers:
    death
    end of spoilers

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

A little bit.

Iron Man wrecked those guys and it actually took a Bucky distraction to allow Cap take Tony down

However, seeing Cap casually damage Iron Man's flight boots and targetting system was a little too much.

Iron Man has withstood tank shells and hits from Thor in the past without that much damage, he should be able with withstand Cap's blows better than that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Is that the same voice he used when he said, "Here's your shield Captain America !" Lol

Paul Rudd was so purposefully corny saying that line. I don't think enough people appreciated how geeked up Ant-Man was to be fighting beside Captain America.
    I think that's the second time anyone's ever called him Captain America unironically (the first being that woman from the newsreel at the end of Avengers 1). It sounds comically jarring amongst all the Caps and Steves.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    A little bit.

Iron Man wrecked those guys and it actually took a Bucky distraction to allow Cap take Tony down

However, seeing Cap casually damage Iron Man's flight boots and targetting system was a little too much.

Iron Man has withstood tank shells and hits from Thor in the past without that much damage, he should be able with withstand Cap's blows better than that.
    I don't know that Iron Man has ever had a sustained attack on one part of his armor like that, much less from a Vibranium edge like Cap's shield. That would be a relatively thin part of the armor, right where the thruster meets the sole of the boot.

Niffleheim

I'm a complete snob when it comes to Marvel sidekicks but Sam and Bucky bickering was one of the best part of Civil War for me. I would love a movie with these two teaming up on a mission. I can't believe they made me like Sam after the Ant-Man fiasco. Sam and Bucky were beast in this movie.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I think that's the second time anyone's ever called him Captain America unironically (the first being that woman from the newsreel at the end of Avengers 1). It sounds comically jarring amongst all the Caps and Steves.
    Well there was also that "three cheers for Captain America!" Bucky incited in the First Avenger, and I think Sharon once called him Captain America unironically in Winter Soldier when she was asking why they were hunting him.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    I'm a complete snob when it comes to Marvel sidekicks but Sam and Bucky bickering was one of the best part of Civil War for me. I would love a movie with these two teaming up on a mission. I can't believe they made me like Sam after the Ant-Man fiasco. Sam and Bucky were beast in this movie.
    That Lagos fight was insane for Falcon

Cool little interview about "that airport scene"

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/captai...-civil-a141478

I knew it was coming so wasn't surprised (it was cool AF though). When I take my wife to see the movie, I am going to be interested to see how she reacts. she doesn't know he can do that

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Actually he was being called Captain Rogers several times in the film. I found that a bit strange as I know he was in the Army but he doesn't actually have the official army captain rank does he?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Actually he was being called Captain Rogers several times in the film. I found that a bit strange as I know he was in the Army but he doesn't actually have the official army captain rank does he?
    Captain Rogers does make sense, I believe he was officially given the rank of Captain by that Senator who got him on the performance circuit. He wasn't actually in the field, and thus didn't actually earn the rank until he staged that rescue at the Red Skull's factory.

Since we've already been ranking the MCU films we've seen, I think a good follow-up (since with these things we're never not looking ahead) is how HYPE~ are you for the upcoming releases? At least of the ones we know are happening.

For me, going in reverse order:

8 - Spider-Man Homecoming. I wound up liking Tom Holland as Spidey more than I'd possibly expected, but...this is still the 6th Spider-Man film to be released in my lifetime. And I've had at least 2 that I'd consider all-time greats. So while I'm sure Homecoming will be good, certainly far better than the Amazing films, it's the one I'm only really seeing out of obligation. I'm much more interested in seeing Parker do more guest spots in other folks' movies down the line.

7 - Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2. Bear in mind, Guardians 1 is still probably my favourite MCU joint to date. In theory, I am beyond excited that the band is back together and James Gunn has essentially been given carte blanche to do whatever he pleases. In practice...I don't know, I think it's just too early to get excited yet. Haven't heard enough about the film to make a solid opinion. I know Mantis is in it, and Kurt Russell is Quill's mystery dad (dashing my hopes for Kevin Bacon as himself taking that post), but how any of that coalesces into an actual plot is beyond me. Chances are, as soon as the first trailer hits, this shoots wayyyyyy up the list.

6 - Ant-Man and the Wasp. Kind of in a similar state as Guardians 2. I liked Ant-Man 1, Scott's appearance in Civil War made him sparkle all the more, and I expect it'll be a joy to see him bickering with the already-over-qualified-before-even-getting-powers Hope as the Wasp. Other than that interplay - and maybe some attempt at rescuing Janet from the Quantum Realm - I don't know what to expect here. Like, what villain will they use, if any? Ant-Man's rogues gallery isn't great (bear in mind the first film's villain was mostly created from whole cloth and took his name from another Hank Pym super-identity) so I really have no idea what they'll wind up doing.

5 - Doctor Strange. On the one hand, Strange is a nightmare to write a story around, as it's always fuzzy what he can and can't do in any given situation, plus his origin story isn't necessarily dynamite - for reference, you can check out the Doctor Strange animated film from 2009 or so, which left the mysticism so bland it basically made the whole story into The Karate Kid with a 40-something 'kid' and no jokes. On the other hand, the cast is phenomenal, that first trailer had some stuff that looked heckuva cool, and this is Kevin Feige's pet project to end all pet projects. He won't let it fail.

4 - Infinity War, or whatever it winds up being called. Another lack-of-detail placement problem. Of course I'm excited for this...but I don't really know what I'm getting, other than Thanos presumably getting off his ass and sticking all those glowy doodads into his magic glove, then pimp-slapping everyone so a skeleton lady will agree to be his prom date. Which really does sound like the ultimate romantic comedy.

3 - Thor: Ragnarok. I like the oddball choice of director. I like Cate Blanchett getting to vamp it up in villain mode. I like the insistence that Thor will definitely get to be the most important part of his own movie for a change. I like bringing in the Hulk for a not-totally-obvious team-up. And I am intrigued at the rumoured reasoning of hiring a comedy director because the initial script was shockingly dark. What gives me pause is that this doesn't sound like the Ragnarok I wanted - which would be the full Simonson version, with Surtur getting the Twilight Sword and Beta Ray Bill showing up, etc. Still sounds great.

2 - Black Panther. Was already excited before Civil War, but then Chadwick Boseman had to go and anoint himself Boss King of the Entire Universe just by imperiously glaring at people, so we're at Defcon 5 now. The whole film could just be him sitting on a throne wearing a Dracula cape while everyone else bows and declares themselves unworthy a la Wayne's World and I'd just think, "Yup, makes sense. TEN OUT OF TEN." Also I hope Andy Serkis returns with a little satellite dish instead of a hand. And then T'Challa slaps him with a cuttlefish.

1 - Captain Marvel. AKA the point where Craig completely violates his own logic. We know less about this than we do any other film on the list...but I don't care. In my mind, the entire MCU has just been an eventual 11-year laying of groundwork necessary to prepare the feeble minds of humanity for Living Breathing Carol Danvers. I count my individual breaths waiting for this film. Which is already getting very tiresome, but I'm committed now.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.