Page 85 of 228 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 3417
    Extraordinary Member

I am excited for Ragnarok. I have always felt the Thor films were underrated. Yes, they could have been better. Out of the big three, Thor has the best villains, imo. I wish Balder could have shown up as the third son of Odin (as the normal one). I have enjoyed the character progression of Thor. Thor seems to be the one to evolved while Cap & (especially) Tony, are riding the emotional rollercoaster.

Watched the first two Avengers films this past Saturday.

I think Ultron was an underrated villain. What an evil, crazy, bastard man-child he was. Over a poor choice of words, he chopped off a man's arm, yelled at him, and then kicked him down some steps.

That was pretty dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I am excited for Ragnarok. I have always felt the Thor films were underrated.
    I think we just became best friends

I think Ultron was an underrated villain. What an evil, crazy, bastard man-child he was. Over a poor choice of words, he chopped off a man's arm, yelled at him, and then kicked him down some steps.

That was pretty dark.
    BFF confirmed.

AoU has some issues but I don't think Ultron was one of them. I think I would have liked him a touch less... Starky (then again, I think everyone in the whole movie needed to be a bit less Starky) and a bit more powerful (he hit like a butterfly) but overall I liked him.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Well, Ultron was Stark's son, so to speak. Ultron was kinda a sadistic version of Stark before he became a POW.

If the MCU could use adamantium, I think the film could have been a whole lot darker. It is funny Ultron used that metal before Wolverine.

Extraordinary Member

One of things I noticed about Thor is that often the lightning & other weather conditions take place before he uses the hammer to focus it on an opponent.

I am curious to see how long he functions without the hammer.

I enjoyed Spader's performance as Ultron, but he was a little too quippy and unimpressive as a physical combatant for me to really enjoy as a villain or as an adaption of Ultron.

I also think they didn't do as much with a rivalry between him and Stark that they could have, especially compared to Ultron's complex relationship with Hank in the comics, but then again the movie didn't need anymore of Tony then it already had.

I still never got over them giving him a mouth. I get why they did it, and it worked for the movie, but I still didn't like it .

Extraordinary Member

Speaking of Pym, Michael Douglas is the perfect actor. If anyone who watched a Michael Douglas film from the 1980's through the 1990's, he typically plays a character who self-destructs through a series of bad-decisions. For me, that is pretty much Hank Pym.

I would love an R-rated film with Douglas & Spader going at it in as a very twisted father & son, but with the sci-fi trappings.

It made sense when Kurt Busiek revealed Ultron was based on Pym's personality in the comics. I thought that was a great retcon.

If Douglas was a good 30 years younger...

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I am excited for Ragnarok. I have always felt the Thor films were underrated. Yes, they could have been better. Out of the big three, Thor has the best villains, imo. I wish Balder could have shown up as the third son of Odin (as the normal one). I have enjoyed the character progression of Thor. Thor seems to be the one to evolved while Cap & (especially) Tony, are riding the emotional rollercoaster.

That was pretty dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think we just became best friends

BFF confirmed.

AoU has some issues but I don't think Ultron was one of them. I think I would have liked him a touch less... Starky (then again, I think everyone in the whole movie needed to be a bit less Starky) and a bit more powerful (he hit like a butterfly) but overall I liked him.
    I think my problem with AoU was that everything kinda felt too easy.

The first confrontation with Ultron, Iron Man basically stomps him. When Wanda makes Hulk go crazy and he goes on a rampage, I felt the fight with the Hulkbuster was still too easy. I feel like the way Stark finally took out Banner was Whedon trying to be funny by referencing the way Hulk punched Thor away after the took down a Leviathan in the first Avengers movie. I think they should have got Thor involved in the fight too. Even Cap is seemingly easily keeping Ultron occupied. I think Ultron, though having a great personality, was not badass and intimidating enough. Even when the Avengers are defeated and have to retreat, for me it didn't feel like that big of a loss. Not saying they should have died or anything but it doesn't have that much weight, because the plan was too easy. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but the fights (especially that one) feel way too fast. I don't mean the duration, I mean the speed at which they are fighting. Some of the blows lack impact because of that. But I guess it makes sense since pretty much everyone there had superhuman speed.

The same thing happens at the Battle of Sokovia. Sure, lots of people died and a whole city got destroyed, but the skirmish felt so easy again. They're all pretty much mowing down these drones. Taking out Ultron's presence on the Internet was done very easily. He was easily downed by Thor, Iron Man and Vision. That should have been a proper fight, not just a FUUUUSIONNN beam attack and Hulk interrupting him and punching him away (again, mirroring the way he interrupted Loki in the first Avengers). Think the way Cap and Bucky were beating down Iron Man simultaneously in CW but with Iron Man, Vision and Thor (the latter two can even be tossing Mjolnir amongst each other). Imagine Ultron with three pairs of arms basically owning all of them.

I think the core problem with this movie is that it does the same things with the first Avengers. There should have been a period where Ultron actually is ruling (hence an Age of Ultron, because the movie didn't really live up to it's name), the Avengers pick themselves up after a massive defeat and decide to take back the Earth (or maybe just Sokovia). During this period, Ultron should then have discovered that humanity is beyond saving and he has to destroy the world. The Avengers should only find out about this when they launch their attack, so they're basically unprepared and have to find a solution on the fly while fighting the Ultron drones and defending Sokovia. That would have made everything a little bit more difficult and upped the stakes a little, without killing any major character.

Yeah the villains of Marvel have been mundane in the threat department. Some have been entertaining but I never get the sense that the Avengers were in very real danger. Which is strange because the team is made up of two regular athletic humans, one above-peak superhuman, a smart guy in a strong suit of armor and two "30 megaton nukes" as Ross put it. Very top heavy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

The first confrontation with Ultron, Iron Man basically stomps him. When Wanda makes Hulk go crazy and he goes on a rampage, I felt the fight with the Hulkbuster was still too easy. I feel like the way Stark finally took out Banner was Whedon trying to be funny by referencing the way Hulk punched Thor away after the took down a Leviathan in the first Avengers movie. I think they should have got Thor involved in the fight too. Even Cap is seemingly easily keeping Ultron occupied. I think Ultron, though having a great personality, was not badass and intimidating enough. Even when the Avengers are defeated and have to retreat, for me it didn't feel like that big of a loss. Not saying they should have died or anything but it doesn't have that much weight, because the plan was too easy. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but the fights (especially that one) feel way too fast. I don't mean the duration, I mean the speed at which they are fighting. Some of the blows lack impact because of that. But I guess it makes sense since pretty much everyone there had superhuman speed.

The same thing happens at the Battle of Sokovia. Sure, lots of people died and a whole city got destroyed, but the skirmish felt so easy again. They're all pretty much mowing down these drones. Taking out Ultron's presence on the Internet was done very easily. He was easily downed by Thor, Iron Man and Vision. That should have been a proper fight, not just a FUUUUSIONNN beam attack and Hulk interrupting him and punching him away (again, mirroring the way he interrupted Loki in the first Avengers). Think the way Cap and Bucky were beating down Iron Man simultaneously in CW but with Iron Man, Vision and Thor (the latter two can even be tossing Mjolnir amongst each other). Imagine Ultron with three pairs of arms basically owning all of them.

I think the core problem with this movie is that it does the same things with the first Avengers. There should have been a period where Ultron actually is ruling (hence an Age of Ultron, because the movie didn't really live up to it's name), the Avengers pick themselves up after a massive defeat and decide to take back the Earth (or maybe just Sokovia). During this period, Ultron should then have discovered that humanity is beyond saving and he has to destroy the world. The Avengers should only find out about this when they launch their attack, so they're basically unprepared and have to find a solution on the fly while fighting the Ultron drones and defending Sokovia. That would have made everything a little bit more difficult and upped the stakes a little, without killing any major character.
    I saw Ultron's "defeat" at the hands of Iron Man as a diversion. I think the Hulkbuster fight should have been more brutal. Stark should have used science to beat Hulk, instead of brutality. However, as I have never been a fan of Hulk's unlimited strength, I don't dwell on it too much.

Ultron still seemed a true sociopath in that he did do a lot of damage before he was stopped. I felt the new recruits (Vision, Wanda, and Quicksilver) were need to beat Ultron as the original members were not going to pull that off like they did the first film.

In the comics, Ultron's menace was a slow burn by Roy Thomas. They had to fast track the film version.

I loved AOU, but I can see where another re-write could have enhanced things.

I think we've yet to get a team fight in the MCU with Avengers on-par with some of the best fights in the comics or cartoons.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we've yet to get a team fight in the MCU with Avengers on-par with some of the best fights in the comics or cartoons.
    It would be great to see the Masters of Evil show up, especially since we have Zemo (and his Roger Stern inspired level of scheming).

I wish Thor would get the chance to get...biblical...on screen. I think his power gets toned down to make Hulk look good.

In the comics, Thor went biblical on Ego, the living planet.

I think part of the limitations may come from keeping the films family friendly, but I love the emphasis on character.

I'm a bit too bias with my love for these film.

I wish Thor would get the chance to get...biblical...on screen. I think his power gets toned down to make Hulk look good.

In the comics, Thor went biblical on Ego, the living planet.

I think part of the limitations may come from keeping the films family friendly, but I love the emphasis on character.

I'm a bit too bias with my love for these film.
    Well, Avengers wise, he can't really get "biblical" on Earth or the level of destruction would be intense. See what he did to Jotunheim for example.

Although, I would say what he did to the Destroyer was quite biblical.

Thor getting toned down when with the avengers is just comic canon lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Thanos is the first villain where, power wise, it would take all the Avengers working together against one foe. Loki can't even match Thor so it didn't make sense there. And, well, how they wrote Ultron he couldn't either I guess.

hopefully Thanos fits the bill

Justice League is gonna beat them to the punch on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

- Eh... he stopped the Hulk by powerbombing him through a skyscraper lol. THEN there was a comedic play on the Avengers moment but Hulk was already disoriented and calmed down due to the powerbomb of doom

- I would have preferred a more proper fight at the end as well. Ultron's final form should have been bigger and scarier (and 4 arms lol). I didn't mind Ultron being stomped by Tony because he was basically a distraction. The plan was for SW to mess with everyone, especially as evidenced by Ultron's parting quote before transferring himself elsewhere (somethign like "have you checked on dr banner" or something).

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think Thanos is the first villain where, power wise, it would take all the Avengers working together against one foe. Loki can't even match Thor so it didn't make sense there. And, well, how they wrote Ultron he couldn't either I guess.

hopefully Thanos fits the bill

Justice League is gonna beat them to the punch on that though.
    Agreed.

Thanos will hopefully the first movie Avengers villain who Hulk can't solo.