Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Gerry Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think that in the early 1980s, DC put out many solid, decent comic books, but very few that rose to the level of great. My memory of early 1980s DC books is that they were competent, but seldom extraordinary.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    To be fair, extraordinary things in general are by definition relatively rare. But yeah, there was no DKR-style defining moment, just a bunch of solid books, like you said: DC Comics Presents, Arak, Don Newton's work on Batman, The New Teen Titans, satellite-era JLA and so forth.

I do think the Conway run on Batman is unfairly overlooked, perhaps because of some unfortunate Irv Novick/Frank Maclaughlin artwork.
    Last edited by cgh; 05-05-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yeah, they're terrific fun, aren't they? Too bad we're not getting one here.

I do have one more thing I want to say about the matter, but I'm going to let it wait a day to see if the moderators think it's even a good idea to continue the discussion. I have my final thoughts on the subject typed up and ready to go, but if the mods decide it ends here, then it ends here.

Why would we cut off free debate? Have you been doing something naughty?

Sandy Hausler

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Why would we cut off free debate? Have you been doing something naughty?

Sandy Hausler
    It was getting contentious.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    To be fair, extraordinary things in general are by definition relatively rare. But yeah, there was no DKR-style defining moment, just a bunch of solid books, like you said: DC Comics Presents, Arak, Don Newton's work on Batman, The New Teen Titans, satellite-era JLA and so forth.

I do think the Conway run on Batman is unfairly overlooked, perhaps because of some unfortunate Irv Novick/Frank Maclaughlin artwork.
    One of the above is not like the other

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I've seen that article. Just because he killed in the comics doesn't make it the right characterization for the character. Simple as that.

Also he wasn't batman yet when the stuff in begins happened. And it wasn't cold blooded murder (which batfleck commits numerous times) more than it was for survival reasons. Any time Nolan's Batman had a death on his hands it wasn't so black and white.

- The League (before batman)
    - didn't kill Ra's (just didn't save him. Fine by me)
    - He didn't kill Two Face (the fall did. Same fall that batman survived)
    - When he accidentally killed Talia's driver I gave him a pass because, ya know.....he's stopping a nuke.
    Not to mentin that in most of those instances were from the 40s (before the CAK was really established) and on at least one of those occasions (the trash compactor deaths) the article writer deliberately misidentifies Batman's horrified reaction as an "o face". Which pretty much kills his credibility stone dead when he interprets the KGBeat and burning gang scenes.