Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moon Knight #2 (Spoilers)

Okay, first thing is first. My hat is off to the artist. The notebook paper drawings were cool but it really hit me in the panel showing his therapist's face when she explains the Irish origin of her name after being called out as the Egyptian god Ammut.

They played with clarity again going from sharp to fuzzy art when dealing with the Khonshu visit but this time they also played with the colors. The white wash and gritty lines create an unreal vibe.

The colorist's work really hit me with the bruises. I kept wanting to say “Ouch.”

Okay? Did Khonshu just describe them as being inside what amounts to a Marvel TARDIS shaped like a pyramid and currently existing outside of reality in a void between universes?

I would so hate being called weak minded but Khonshu's conversation in the Pyramid ship raises a lot of interesting questions in Marvel continuity. If the Egyptian gods are never present in the real world and only act through agents with weak minds they can commune with until now when Seth has found a cheat, then things like Odin's old fight with Seth were not really god to god for example. It's a mortal without a hand… That's one example there are a ton more. The void ships might mess with secret wars a bit too.

It's interesting though.

Frenchie got a little too french with Marlene.

I was stoked for Moon Knight in the white suit again. Not sure how I feel about his identity confusion.

It looks like we are set for a fight with mummies next month. The out of universe invasion is real...

I think my biggest complaint with the issue is that 22 pages are not enough. The dialogue and pacing were alright. It just cut off too soon.

What do you think about this issue?
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 05-04-2016 at 02:17 AM.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

BANNED

I really liked it. Until this first arc resolves and we know the full extent of what's going on and how much is real or delusional, it's hard to definitively say how I feel about the book's direction but these first two issues have been really good and really intriguing and I'm all in through the conclusion of this first arc, at least. And if nothing else, Smallwood's art has been absolutely spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I really liked it. Until this first arc resolves and we know the full extent of what's going on and how much is real or delusional, it's hard to definitively say how I feel about the book's direction but these first two issues have been really good and really intriguing and I'm all in through the conclusion of this first arc, at least. And if nothing else, Smallwood's art has been absolutely spectacular.
    Just highlighting some truth there. The art is award worthy and really captures the rundown, gritty, downright disturbing vibe of the asylum.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

This was fantastic! I have to say, 2 issues in, and I am enjoying it more than Ellis' run so far.

Already hooked. Can't wait for #3!

Incredible Member

Pretty trippy stuff. I really can't figure out where/what is going on at this point, but it's definitely intriguing. And I'll echo other posters; Smallwood's artwork is pretty phenomenal, particularly his layouts. I love the way he structures his panels such that they play a counterpoint to what is going on in the scenes. I don't think I've paid quite so much attention to the details and the layouts as I have with these two issues. Pretty innovative, certainly compared with anything I've read lately.

I don't know a lot about Moon Knight, I really only read a little of the last volume, so unfortunately I have no idea who any of these supporting characters are except for the flashbacks in Marc's head but some of them seem pretty interesting. I'm willing to see where things are going because they just seem nuts especially when it involves mummies and weird dimensional beings, but a good kind of nuts.

Although I will say I love that Mr. Knight suit look, something about it is just really cool.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Well...

I can't honestly say that I saw any of that coming.

Dropping it, I found it pretty boring to be honest. Fundamentally I don't think that it matters if Khonshu is actual god or some space alien existing in another space who pretends to be a god for his own purposes. So most of those pages where they were talking felt like a waste to me. Stuff with doctor/wards was also basically same stuff as in first issue so all in all we got 4 or so last pages where something actually new happened and that just wasn't enough for me.

I think we are all noting how Marvel wants to dispense with magic or divine beings and turn everything into super science and weird aliens. Even in Dr. Strange we are starting to see more of this. Is this always a good thing? I think turning the Egyptian mythos into super science and weird aliens offers interesting possibilities thanks to conspiracy theory and ancient aliens for story telling but I always felt the Asguardians should have been left as they were being simply myth made real for a comic. Moon Knight had a degree of magic in his origin and portrayal through the years and it allowed for a sense of wonder at the unexplainable. In taking away the magic, and saying everything is science explainable, are they hurting some storytelling possibilities and characters in their gallery?

Mighty Member

Nah. Marvel has always said that magic was just a different sort of science. Besides, anything that doesn't explicitly live on Earth is an alien, being a god doesn't change the definition, so for most gods this is both accurate and already the way of things. As I recall, it is different for Egyptian gods because they have been described as being or physically a part of whatever they were gods of. However, I don't see anything wrong with aligning them with all the others in an act of theistic consistency.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I really, really enjoyed this issue and my hopes for the series keep going up. While I'm not a big fan of the Mr.Knight, suited up look I can appreciate how that's a bit of a carryover from the last series. Once this arc is over though I do hope we have Marc firmly back in his cowl and cape.
    Also of note is that Marc is very cognizant he's still Marc even though he asks Frenchie to call him Mr.Knight while in the mask. I'm taking that as a positive towards moving the character away from this D.I.D. idea.
    I'm also in favor of the Egyptian Gods as an equivalency to the Asgardian Gods, an alien race. Works for me. Aliens involved in higher science and mysticism. I don't think that inherently interferes with any MK lore off hand.

I had my LCS add this to my hold file yesterday before reading it, now I'm positive that was the right move.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    Okay, first thing is first. My hat is off to the artist. The notebook paper drawings were cool but it really hit me in the panel showing his therapist's face when she explains the Irish origin of her name after being called out as the Egyptian god Ammut.

They played with clarity again going from sharp to fuzzy art when dealing with the Khonshu visit but this time they also played with the colors. The white wash and gritty lines create an unreal vibe.

The colorist's work really hit me with the bruises. I kept wanting to say “Ouch.”

Okay? Did Khonshu just describe them as being inside what amounts to a Marvel TARDIS shaped like a pyramid and currently existing outside of reality in a void between universes?

I would so hate being called weak minded but Khonshu's conversation in the Pyramid ship raises a lot of interesting questions in Marvel continuity. If the Egyptian gods are never present in the real world and only act through agents with weak minds they can commune with until now when Seth has found a cheat, then things like Odin's old fight with Seth were not really god to god for example. It's a mortal without a hand… That's one example there are a ton more. The void ships might mess with secret wars a bit too.

It's interesting though.

Frenchie got a little too french with Marlene.

I was stoked for Moon Knight in the white suit again. Not sure how I feel about his identity confusion.

It looks like we are set for a fight with mummies next month. The out of universe invasion is real...

I think my biggest complaint with the issue is that 22 pages are not enough. The dialogue and pacing were alright. It just cut off too soon.

What do you think about this issue?
    Everything you have said is pretty spot on. It is a bummer that the issues read way to fast, at times this series has me wishing it was done by image, so it would not only be longer but have better quality paper it was printed on. Im still not so sure that this "invasion" is real...I really couldn't begin to guess what is real and what is not. I guess they did confirm that Marlene is drugged and hasn't been lobotomized or anything yet. It was great to see Frenchie back!

How is this selling at everyones local comic shop? At mine both issues have sold out completely, luckily the shop managed to reorder some original print copies but as a result they are now marked up higher than retail price. I am really hoping fingers crossed that this series sells well.

Digging this book a lot so far. I have no idea what's real and what's not, though.
    Cheers - CL