Page 1 of 89 123451151 ... LastLast
    Retired

Default The Super-Men (and -Women) of All-Planets

I’m thinking what if Superman had the equivalent of the “Batmen of All Nations” aka the Club of Heroes? While there have been lots of Superman analogues on Earth, I thought it better to look at all the champions he’s met from other planets.

I put a few restrictions on this or else it would just get out of hand:

1. They have to have been active on one other planet besides Earth during their career, but some connections to Earth are fine.
    2. They can't have crossed over from a parallel universe, but other dimensions within the same universe are allowed.
    3. They can’t be residents from the past or the future--so no Hercules and no Superman of 2965, but Alpha Centurion is okay because he lives in the present now. I ruled out most of the L.S.H. but I figure that someone like Mon-El counts because he met Clark in the present era and has been active in contemporary adventures.

A List of Super-Creations of All-Planets
    (major entries)

--chronological by cover date of 1st appearance--
    ▽ indicates a Superbaby/Superboy adventure

1942 - 1957

Mister Sinister in 4th Dimension 05-06/42
    Mr. Mxyztplk of Zrfff in 5th Dimension (a.k.a. Mxyzptlk etc.) 04/44
    Regor of Uuz (Winki Lamm) 05-06/49
    • Martler and the Solazis of Mars 01-02/50
    • ▽Marsboy of Mars (Sutri a.k.a. Joe Mars) 05-06/51
    Zor--planet with Z-Rays, lacks metals, Clark poses as Klarkash Kenton 05/52
    Halk Kar of Thoron 01-02/53
    Tharka, Superwoman of Zor, mutant ahead of her time 03-04/53
    • ▽Jero of Xanadu (a.k.a. Jerome Smith) 07/53
    • ▽Kral of Titan 10/54
    • Xantus, homeworld of would-be invaders circa 01/55
    • Super-men from the doomed planet Blanth 01/55
    • "Krllg" from unnamed asteroid 01-02/55
    Vitor Vall of Skar 03/56--Vitar’s wife, son, daughter & parents
    • Interplanetary Olympics 09/56--Sharn of Iwo and others
    • ▽Power-Boy of Juno (Zarl Vorne) 10/56
    Queen Latora of Vergo 05/57
    Gollo of Zar, shape shifter 11/57

1958 - 1961

Skyboy of Kormo (Tharn) 01-02/58
    Kell Orr of Xenon 02/58
    • ▽Dworn (a.k.a. Alan) 06/58
    Brainiac, from the planet Colu 07/58
    • ▽Vidal of the Inter-Galactic Patrol (Allen Greene) 05/59
    • ▽Shar-La the Space Traveller 01/60
    • ▽Solar Boy (in another galaxy) 02/60
    Valzorr, Prince of Korvia (a.k.a. Johnny Blank) 04/60
    Hyper-Man of Oceania (Chester King) 06/60
    • ▽Quorz family of Xenon 06/60--Ral, Jinnia and Varl
    Princess Jena of Adoria 07/60
    Astounding Man of Roxnon 07/60
    • ▽6-3KX from Zaron 07/60
    • ▽Kryptonite Kid of Blor and his dog 09/60
    • Superman's Pet that said "Gleek" 09/60
    • ▽Mighty Boy of Zumoor (Thomas Keith a.k.a. Zarl Kazzan) 12/60
    Marvel Maid & Marvel Man of Terra (Lea Lindy & Ken Clark) 01/61
    • Miss Gzptlsnz of Zrfff in 5th Dimension 04/61
    • ▽Mon-El of Daxam (Lar Gand) 06/61

1962 - 1963

• ▽Superboy Revenge Squad on Wexr II 01/62
    • Duplicate Krypton, populated by android duplicates 01/62
    • ▽Brain Globes of Rambat 02/62
    Logi of Durim (a.k.a. "The Alien Super-Boy"), his pet Quisto 03/62
    Princess Ilona from Sunev galaxy 03/62
    Superwoman of Staryl (Luma Lynai) 06/62
    Automs of Roxar, Autom No. 4306 09/62
    Princess Allura from Ashtar galaxy 10/62
    • ▽Valhalla of Super-Companions 12/62--Liquidman, Stormboy, Tree-Man, Telepathy Man, Shadowman
    • ▽Othar of Thrann, the Super-World 12/62
    Super-Male of Soomar (Irn Brimba) 05/63
    Zerox, the Sorcerer's World, ruled by Prince Endor 06/63
    • ▽Mighto of Ulgar (Tim Tate); Ram Rozar's statue on planet Nyza; United Planet Interstellar Police 10/63
    • Krypton-like planet, later named Lexor, orbits red star-sun X-156-99F 10/63
    Rona of the Seventh Dimension 12/63
    • ▽Super-Youth of Brozz (Frank Merrill) 12/63

1964 - 1965

• Ardora, Tharla of Lexor 02/64
    Unknown Superman (Bamor of Zavak, a.k.a. Strong Bear) 05/64
    Rokk and Sorban from Ventura, the Gamblers' Planet 08/64
    Zigi and Zagi from Alpha-Centauri 08/64
    • Illena of Kromal, Superman Revenge Squad Agent X9831Q 10/64
    • Prison for Heroes, on Vor 11/64--Electric Man, Balloon Man, the Freezer, the Flame
    Herko from another dimension 01/65
    Rondor of Calyx 01/65
    Lahla of the Thorone World 02/65
    Miss Platonia, Dialla of Platonia 03/65
    Sisterhood of Evil from Feminax, a.k.a. Planet Z in sky sector Omega IV 03/65
    Vrangs, alien conquerors of Krypton, killed Val-Lor 04/65
    Lurala of Ventura, the Gamblers' Planet 06/65
    King Avro of Dimension Z 09/65
    Sophroni from Matrion, planet of warrior women 10/65
    Circle of Evil on Gotha 10/65
    Drang the Destroyer (a.k.a. Dr. Supernatural) on the Purple Planet 10/65
    • Prisoners of the Purple Planet 11/65--Lux, of the dark planet Gur, Multiple-Man and Voltan (planet unnamed), Mask-Man and Raptor (planet unnamed), Dynar and Strella from Planet Y, Surya of the Evolution World

1966 - 1970

• ▽Space Canine Patrol Agents 07/66--Tail Terrier (the Top Dog), Tusky Husky, Chameleon Collie, Hot Dog, Bull Dog, Paw Pooch, Mammoth Mutt (deceased)--from various worlds of intelligent canines
    • Princess Zerna of Arctor 07/66
    Jemphis' Collection of Heroes 12/66--Aeroman and Windlass; Solarman; Serpento of Orzak; Dr. Chill of Klon Kado; Zardin the Boy Marvel of Nangar
    Gaea, Earth-like planet where teens are in charge 12/66--Dick Malvin, Frank and Ethel Davis
    • ▽Vau Sulor of Kaprice (a.k.a. Kit-El) 04/67--plus Qor Sulor's family
    Kara Strange, robot gift from Denek 04/67
    Zorkia, planet of brains 08/67
    Queen Neolla and Cerebron of Zorkia 09/67
    • ▽Ron-Avon of Belgor (a.k.a. Ron Avnet) 09/67
    • ▽Hyperboy of Trombus (a.k.a. Kirk Quentin) 01/68--the Hyper-Family (Mr. & Mrs. Quentin), Klypso the Hyperdog
    • ▽Jolax of Thraxx, in another dimension 03/68
    Nador of the Omega Commandos 02/69
    Rol-Noc, Kal-El's Godfather from another world 07/69
    Volar, champion of Torma 09/69
    • Kimor Dinn (Kimberly O'Ryan), prisoner of detention planetoid, Balton-IV 01/70
    Super-Defenders of Angor 02/70--Jack B. Quick, Silver Sorceress, Blue Jay and Wandjina
    Darkseid of Apokolips (Fourth World) 11/70
    Althera of Vrandar, a Space-Amazon 12/70

1971 - 1972

• Sandman from Quarrm (a.k.a. the Sand Superman) 01/71
    • DeSaad of Apokolips (Fourth World) 04-05/71
    • Black Racer of Death (Willie Walker) 06-07/71
    • Rzalin, last surviving tree of the Tzol planet 08/71
    Equila (a.k.a. Judy), super-child from another galaxy 09/71
    • K.A.R.L., Fourth World robot 10/71
    Shalox of Reba, Alpha Galactic School of Deduction 01/72
    • Galactic Golem 02/72
    Starbreaker, the Cosmic Vampire 02/72
    Terra-Man (Toby Manning) 03/72
    • Effron, Sorcerer Supreme of Veliathan 03/72
    • Lorna Martin from Dimension 7 04/72
    Vonn (a.k.a. Mars II), under a red sun, in a distant galaxy; the Thythen 06/72
    Togran's garden, the Mind Warp (Dokra, Opra, Draak) 06/72
    • Xviar from Homeworld (a.k.a. Xavier a.k.a. Mr. X) 07/72
    • Sun-Thrivers of Rao 08/72

1973 - 1978

Towbee, the Minstrel of Space (a.k.a. the Master) 01/73
    Star of Cathay, weird gem of another world 03/73
    • Captain Thunder (Willie Fawcett) 06/74
    • Carnox, a space explorer, trapped on Earth for eons 09/74
    Vartox of Valeron (Vernon O’Valeron) 11/74
    • "Silver Bullet" aliens from Xzoinck circa 1975
    • Kydk and Zoyoz, the Hero-Killers 02/75
    • Ben Aldain of Galador 09/75
    Karb-Brak from the Andromeda galaxy (Andrew Meda) 06/76
    • Ranar the Hakawee 06-07/76
    • Quazar Space Amazons and their men 10/76
    • Hun'Ya, Champion of the Scrubb of Bodace 01/78
    • Rat'Lar, Emperor of the Scrubb of Bodace 01/78
    Replikon (Xum, a.k.a. Andre) 09/78

1980 - 1999

• ▽Two miraculous aliens repay Jonathan Kent 05/80
    • ▽Romax and Ewula of Vulx (posing as Herb and Lydia Mason) 07/80
    Nryana, Superman Revenge Squad Agent 12/81
    • ▽Dr. Chaos, a Lord of Chaos 01/82
    • ▽Loretta's Magic Book and her imp Gazook 10/82
    • ▽"Dave" of Hujor, in another universe 04/84
    Vanguard circa 09/85--Anti-Matterman, Scanner, White Dwarf, Solaar, Drone and Black Nebula
    • Sachi (a.k.a. Xlim?) and Yukinori, offspring of Replikon 10/85
    Draaga 05/89
    Maxima of Almerac 09/89
    Alpha Centurion of the Vimuru homeworld (Marcus Aelius) 09/94
    • Vestion of Gravacus 7 and Paz of Po'Ahn 09/99

[for more entries see posts #1122 - 1124]
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 06-18-2023 at 12:39 AM. Reason: additions and subtractions to fit character limit

Retired

Some here might not be Batman readers and might not know about the Batmen of All Nations--so maybe some more information is needed on that.

BATMAN No. 62 (December ’50 - January ’51) featured an adventure where Batman and Robin met the Knight and Squire, in “The Batman of England” by Bill Finger, Dick Sprang and Charles Paris. Then, in DETECTIVE COMICS No. 216 (January ’55), B & R got together again with the Knight and Squire, plus the Musketeer, the Legionary, the Ranger and the Gaucho (respectively from France, Italy, Australia and somewhere in South America), in “The Batmen of All Nations” by Edmond Hamilton, Sheldon Moldoff and Charles Paris.

Next, Edmond Hamilton wrote a sequel, with art by Dick Sprang and Stan Kaye, for WORLD’S FINEST COMICS No. 89 (July-August ’57). In that adventure, Superman, Batman and Robin teamed up with the Batmen of All Nations--minus the Ranger who never showed up for the affair--forming “The Club of Heroes.” Also featured was a mysterious hero who took Superman’s place, Lightning Man--who turned out to be the Man of Steel himself.

Curiously, living up to his reputation as “Batman with a Bow,” Green Arrow held his own convention of international heroes in “The Green Arrows of the World” as detailed by Bill Finger with Jack and Roz Kirby, from ADVENTURE COMICS No. 250 (July ’58): the Phantom of France, Bowman of the Bush, Bowman of Britain, Green Arrow of Japan, Green Arrow of Polynesia, Green Arrow of Mexico and Green Arrow of Switzerland (among others).

The Club of Heroes remained dormant until the ’80s when they were retconned into inspiring the Dome--the international organization which later created the Global Guardians, headed by Dr. Mist.

In more recent times, Grant Morrison revived the original concept of the Batmen of All Nations, during his BATMAN run. And the revived concept was spun off into its own title with BATMAN INCORPORATED.

Edit: I should add that Morrison retconned into the Batman of All Nations several other Batman counterparts from over the years--like one of my favourites, Bat-Hombre!
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 04-01-2022 at 04:20 AM.

Retired

Default The Superman from Outer Space

Some of these Super-Men of All-Planets and other Superman counterparts are featured on Bob Hughes’ Doppelgangers page for his Who’s Whose site.

My best-loved of those Supermen is “The Superman from Outer Space”--Hyper-Man from Oceania--who had his Swan Song in ACTION COMICS No. 265 (June ’60)--as told by Otto Binder, Curt Swan and John Forte.

However, I first discovered this classic in SUPERMAN No. 207/G-48 (June ’68)-- a 30th anniversary 80 Page Giant. One of the greatest comic books I ever bought.

I suspect Alan Moore took some direction from this Binder gem when he had Tom Strong and Tom Strange meet.

Hyper-Man is the spitting image of Superman and many other things about his life on Oceania (a twin of Earth) are almost the same as the Man of Steel’s life on Earth. The champion of Oceania poses as Chester King (a double for Clark Kent) and Hyper-Man’s girl friend is Lydia Long--Lois Lane’s doppelganger.

But as with Terra Obscura in the Moore stories, Oceania is not in some other alternate universe. It’s in the same universe. It’s just that the astronomical odds of a planet almost exactly the same as Earth seem to weigh in its favour. Which is not so incredible for fans of classic STAR TREK.

It’s a heart-breaking story, but one great yarn.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-03-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

Hmm you pretty much took what I was gonna say with Hyperman and Maxima, frankly I haven't even heard of half of the people on your list. I was going to nominate Etrigan but I don't think he meets your first criteria. Mr. Majestic maybe, but I'm honestly not that familiar with the character or Wildstorm in general. Still a Superman equivalent to Batman Inc. could be cool.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Some of these Super-Men of All-Planets and other Superman counterparts are featured on Bob Hughes’ Doppelgangers page for his Who’s Whose site.

My best-loved of those Supermen is “The Superman from Outer Space”--Hyper-Man from Oceania--who had his Swan Song in ACTION COMICS No. 265 (June ’60)--as told by Otto Binder, Curt Swan and John Forte.

However, I first discovered this classic in SUPERMAN No. 207/G-48 (June ’68)-- a 30th anniversary 80 Page Giant. One of the greatest comic books I ever bought.

I suspect Alan Moore took some direction from this Binder gem when he had Tom Strong and Tom Strange meet.
    Man, those sound awesome, and Comixology doesn't have either of them. I would have bought them both. Come on Comixology and DC Comics, take my money already and fill in your Superman back catalog.

They don't have a single issue from the 200s of Superman Volume 1. Not a single issue.

Retired

There have been a few Hypermen, but I think Chester King is the only one of them that meets my criteria--and he's deceased!

However, there is Hyperboy (Kirk Quentin), who I'll have more to say about another time, hopefully.

I don't know that much about the Wildstorm characters or if Mr. Majestic exists in the same universe as Superman. Someone else will have to give the 411 on him.

Likewise with Milestone--my knowledge is limited. I suspect that Icon could fit into my club of Super-Men--but maybe some other posters can field that question.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-03-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Retired

Default The Supergirl of Two Worlds

Like her cousin, Kara Zor-El had her fair share of look-alikes. The case of Luma Lynai is a real oddball adventure. But before I get to her, I have to talk about Marvel Maid and Marvel Man.

Written by Otto Binder, who wrote the sad tale of Hyper-Man, “The Second Supergirl” has a lot of similarities minus the tragic ending.

With art by Jim Mooney, this first part of the Marvel Maid adventure was in ACTION COMICS No. 272 (January ’61), while “The Supergirl of Two Worlds” picked up the narrative in ACTION COMICS No. 273 (February ’62). Note: both these stories are reprinted in the SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES Vol. 2.

Supergirl wants to find another planet like Earth, where there are counterparts of herself and Superman, so she has Kal-El consult the super-computer in the Fortress of Solitude which finds the planet Terra. Again, as with Oceania, Terra is astoundingly similar to our planet, but with some weird differences.

On that planet, Kara finds that her doppelganger is Marvel Maid--the planet’s champion. Meanwhile, Superman’s double is Marvel Man, who like Supergirl at the time is unknown to the public at large.

The Marvels came from a civilization deep inside Terra, which was destroyed, but not before they were sent to the surface world. They get their powers from cosmic rays (which never penetrated deep below the surface), but diamonds are their Kryptonite.

Because they are such a threat to Marvel Maid, diamonds are contraband on Terra.

In his secret identity as Ken Clark, Marvel Man is being held in prison, for lack of the proper documentation. He’s effectively treated like an illegal alien and held in custody for that reason. It’s a startling insight into what could and sometimes does happen to undocumented workers in our real world. Yet Marvel Man is quite happy to stew in prison, while his cousin gets all the fame and glory.

Otto Binder wrote many of the Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel stories at Fawcett, which no doubt inspired the names for Marvel Maid and Marvel Man.

Retired

Default Superman’s Super-Courtship

Jerry Siegel was the author of “Superman’s Super-Courtship” and he had a gift for creating outlandish tales. As usual, Jim Mooney provided the art for this Supergirl yarn from ACTION COMICS No. 289 (June ’62).

After his cousin has tried to set him up with Helen of Troy and Saturn Woman, Superman confesses to Supergirl that if there was any woman he would settle down with it would be her--but Kryptonian law prevents cousins from marrying.

Then--as in “The Second Supergirl”--Kara uses the super-computer in the Fortress to find another planet with her doppelganger. This time she locates the planet Staryl, where Luma Lynai is the Superwoman of that world.

The Man of Steel rushes off to Staryl to find Supergirl’s twin--albeit an adult and not an adolescent like his cousin. The two instantly fall in love, but when they fly back to Earth to get married, Luma is weakened and in pain. It turns out that while she has powers under Staryl’s orange sun, the rays of a yellow sun are deadly to her. And so the two part--although Luma secretly thinks, “I’ll always love you--”

The “ick” factor in this adventure is the revelation that Superman would get busy with Supergirl if the law allowed it--and that Supergirl encourages him to mate with her double, if she can’t do the deed herself.

Retired

Default Superman’s Big Brother

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. A space traveller crash lands on Earth, suffering from partial amnesia. The Caped Kryptonian, finding evidence that this traveller came from Krypton, leaps to the conclusion that this is his big brother. Only it turns out, in the end, that the space traveller only stopped over on Krypton, making acquaintance with Jor-El, before heading off again into space.

This might sound like the origin story of Mon-El, “Superboy’s Big Brother”--and it is--but, in fact, that adventure was a rehash of “Superman’s Big Brother” by Edmond Hamilton and Al Plastino, from SUPERMAN No. 80 (January-February ’53).

The big brother in this version is Halk Kar. Superman rescues an out of control rocketship and adds up the clues that point to the pilot being his older sibling; however, when the Man of Steel puts the space traveller to the test, he finds that Halk’s super-abilities are nowhere near on the same level as his own.

Nevertheless, the Man of Tomorrow, afraid of humiliating his brother, deceives Halk Kar and the boastful alien gets himself in a mess of trouble, not realizing how weak his powers truly are. When he’s electrocuted by crooks, Halk finally comes to his senses and remembers his true origins.

Halk Kar comes from Thoron, which is in the same solar system as Krypton but smaller (yet not as small as Earth) and after stopping on Krypton just before the planet was destroyed, Jor-El sent him on his way again. Gee, Jor-El--did you ever think of using Halk Kar’s rocketship to save some Kryptonians?

At the end of this adventure, Superman bids Halk Kar adieu, now in another rocket ship on a return trip to Thoron. We do not know what he found when he got there.

Last edited by Jim Kelly; 08-19-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Retired

Default Superboy’s Big Brother

“Superboy’s Big Brother”/“The Secret of Mon-El” by Robert Bernstein and George Papp, from SUPERBOY No. 89 (June ’61) recycles a lot of the plot from “Superman’s Big Brother.” However, the big brother is not weaker than Superboy in this story. In fact, he’s invulnerable to Kryptonite--which will prove his undoing.

Named for Monday, the day he arrived, Mon-El takes the alias of Bob Cobb when he becomes a brush salesman. However, fickle youth that he is, Clark starts to suspect that it’s all a sham--while, lacking any self-awareness, he fails to see that the sham is all of his own making. “Mon-El” never said he was Kal-El’s big brother, that was all the Boy of Steel’s built-up fantasy, wanting to believe he had a big brother and filling in the gaps, making excuses, so it could all be true.

Then like a hero in a Greek tragedy, who walks inexorably the doomed path of his own creation, Superboy plots to expose the lie by contriving a “Kryptonite” meteor shower--in fact lead boulders painted green--never realizing that the lead will kill Mon-El.

Once exposed to the plumbum poison, there’s no turning back. Mon-El’s death is assured. But the shock recovers his memory and he relates a tale much the same as Halk Kar’s--except his home planet is Daxam.

Realizing that he has killed the only brother he ever knew, Superboy gives Mon-El a bitter reprieve, by putting him in the Phantom Zone--where he will remain for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-03-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Retired

Default The Boy from Outer Space

Yet another memory-loss space traveller whose rocket ship crash landed on Earth was Skyboy.

This was in “The Boy from Outer Space” by Edmond Hamilton, Dick Sprang and Stan Kaye, WORLD’S FINEST COMICS No. 92 (January-February ’58). Superman, Batman and Robin rush to save the survivor after his rocket ship collides with a meteor. The pilot is a mere boy who Superman dubs Skyboy.

They find that the youth has powers almost as great as Superman’s and the Man of Steel concludes that he must hail from a planet with a greater gravity similar to Krypton. Lending Skyboy a cape and an S shield, Superman seems to hope the boy will be his protege, just as Robin is Batman’s.

Meanwhile, a rash of copper robberies points to a gang of extra-terrestrial thieves and fingerprints on the scene match those of Skyboy. Is the boy in league with super-villains? The Dynamic Detective Duo suspect so.

For those that want to read this story for themselves, don’t read any further because I’m about to give away the ending . . .

SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE
    SPOILER SPACE

Hoping to shock Skyboy into remembering his past, Superman hurls a meteor at him--the same one that collided with his rocket ship--and the boy now remembers that he is Tharn. He comes from the planet Kormo, where his father is a lawman. A gang of thieves intent on stealing Earth’s copper (which is rare on Kormo) wounded Tharn’s father and the boy chased after them in his own ship. All people on Kormo have the same fingerprints, which explains how Tharn’s prints seemed to be at the crime scene.

Having rounded up the gang of extra-terrestrial crooks, Tharn returns to Kormo with his prisoners; however, as he leaves the World’s Finest Trio, Skyboy promises, “I’ll come back some day, if I can.”

END OF SPOILER

The story’s been reprinted in ARCHIVES and SHOWCASE PRESENTS volumes, but I first read it in the 80 Page Giant WORLD’S FINEST COMICS No. 170/G-40 (October-November ’67) where it made a big impact on me. I was moved by Superman’s longing for a young partner to mentor, who would be like a son to him. And I always wished there had been a sequel.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-03-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

How about Action Comics 460-463? The Alien allergic to his own people and Superman? He hits Clark so hard, Clark ends up an amnesiac newsman in 1776? He's not really a villain, he retired to Earth for medical reasons and Superman sets off his condition.

Love the thread, all that great Superman Sci Fi!
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 05-08-2016 at 07:33 AM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I was just thinking how villains are so much easier to name. Busiek, Azarello, Lobdell, Snyder, Johns, even Morrison's Captain Comet, these hidden Supermen show up. They have flashier powers but are tortured, brainwashed, or just gone!
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 05-08-2016 at 07:19 AM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    How about Action Comics 460-463? The Alien allergic to his own people and Superman? He hits Clark so hard, Clark ends up an amnesiac newsman in 1776? He's not really a villain, he retired to Earth for medical reasons and Superman sets off his condition.

Love the thread, all that great Superman Sci Fi!
    I think his name was Kar-Brak or something like that. I'll add him to the list. I'd forgot that he wasn't an actual super-villain--just vexed.

One of the old reliable plots for Superman is to pit him against himself--or if not himself exactly then someone almost the same as him. So that's why there's so many duplicate Supermen as villains. Dev-Em is another such example. He came from Krypton and was a villain in Clark's own time, giving him trouble when he was Superboy. However, Dev-Em took off for the 30th century and in the Legion's time period he became a good guy.

In addition to bad Kryptonians, Superman had his fair share of good Kryptonians that looked just like him. I can think of four--chief among them Van-Zee and Don-El. Don-El was head of the Superman Emergency Squad. Van-Zee, of course, was Superman and Nightwing, at different times in his life. And he married Supewoman--Sylvia DeWitt, who gained super-powers thanks to a serum Van-Zee invented. Sylvia being an Earth woman who looked just like Lois Lane.

If you think about it--as I have--Van-Zee must have been born in the bottle city of Kandor, as would a lot of other citizens there. Kandor was taken by Brainiac before Krypton was destroyed and presumably before Kal-El was born to Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van. The House of Zee must have been in Kandor--and possibly cousins of Lor-Van--with also Jor-El's twin brother, Nim-El, living in Kandor at that time. Interbreeding among the Houses must have led to a lot of genetically similar cousins.

I've resisted putting Van-Zee and Sylvia on my list, however, as that would open the floodgates to a lot of other Kryptonians, Kandorians and Earthlings.

Retired

I've revised the list at the top to add some others including Karb-Brak. Still not sure if Mr. Majestic fits within my self-imposed criteria.

Now for another story that cried out for a sequel that never was . . .

• Aeroman and Windlass
    • Solarman
    • Serpento of Orzak
    • Dr. Chill of Klon Kado
    • Zardin the Boy Marvel of Nangar

--these are but a handful of the hundreds of heroes from across the universe who are assembled for a proposed convention of cosmic crimefighters and a relaxing retreat on the “paradise planet” ruled by Jemphis the Collecto.

It’s a ruse by the malevolent dictator to force Batman and Superman into a gladiatorial competition to the death.

“The Duel of the Super-Duo,” was in WORLD’S FINEST COMICS No. 163 (December ’66). From the team of Jim Shooter, Curt Swan and George Klein--the story, as I observed on my blog, reads like an episode of STAR TREK. Yet STAR TREK had yet to air at the time Shooter drafted this tale.

The cosmic convention only happens at the very end of the story and mostly off panel--with just these few conventioneers being identified by name--plus some anonymous others visualized by Swan and Klein, as well. Barely enough, it leaves the reader wanting for more.

At the end of the adventure, Dr. Chill speaks for all the cosmic conventioneers when he says, “We’ll have to do this again . . . and bring your Justice League friends next time!”

And Batman answers, “We will!”

Despite these promises, those other-worldly idols were never seen again.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-03-2020 at 07:32 PM.