Page 7 of 89 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Retired

Default The Valhalla of Super-Companions

Liquidman, Stormboy, Tree-Man, Telepathy Man, Shadowman
    Othar of Thrann, the Super-World

In SUPERBOY 101 (December ’62), “The Valhalla of Super-Companions,” by Edmond Hamilton and George Papp, introduces a ragtag team of champions that could have rivaled the Legion of Super-Heroes.

A monacle-wearing, blue-skinned, bald, big-headed alien named Othar, along with his fellow super-scientists from the planet Thrann, puts everyone in Smallville, except Clark Kent, into a deep sleep and will not release them from their slumber unless Superboy agrees to go with the aliens to their Super-World. Then, aboard their space-ship, they travel to other planets in the cosmos, collecting other super-heroes, in the same way they collected Superboy. These other world super-beings are Liquidman, Stormboy, Tree-Man, Telepathy Man and Shadowman, each having the powers that their code-names suggest.

Travelling across the universe to the Super-World, Othar offers the Super-Companions the chance to live in peace on Thrann--not threatened by those things that could weaken and even kill them. And, other than Superboy, the champions all seem willing to remain on this far off world away from their loved ones. Othar proposes a competition to select one of them to be ruler of Thrann and leader of their group. After each performs exceptional feats, Superboy wins by placing in orbit a metal castle, called Valhalla, which will serve as the Super-Companions’ satellite headquarters.

Yet all is not easy with the team and the others soon grow weary of Superboy’s rule. A war ensues with the Boy of Steel fending off the attacks of his ex-Super-Companions. Witnessing the calamity, Othar issues a truce to the hostilities, stating that it was wrong to bring them to Thrann and proposes to return each of them to their home planet. Thus ends the Vallhalla of Super-Companions. In fact, the war was all a ruse concocted by the champions, as all of them would have rather been home than be on Thrann.

One complaint that some fans have made about the early Legion of Super-Heroes is that they were all mostly white characters, even if they were aliens. However, in the Valhalla of Super-Companions, other than Superboy himself, the other aliens are not white. Liquidman is mellow yellow, Stormboy is tangerine, Tree-Man is lime green, Telepathy Man is mulberry and Shadowman is a lavender-grey. On the other hand this Valhalla is an all boys’ club, in contrast to the Legion which had a growing amount of female representation in its ranks.

Addendum: ADVENTURE COMICS 371 (August 1968) reprints and makes certain changes to “The Valhalla of Super-Companions” to give it a connection to the Legion of Super-Heroes so it can appear under the Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes banner in that issue and with a new story title, "When Superboy Walked Out on the Legion." However, it's the same story, only with the panels moved to make room for two extras panels featuring Legionnaires--Ultra Boy, Sun Boy, Light Lass and Duo Damsel--and with a change in the final wording of Superboy's parting comment where he says,"Maybe someday we'll meet up again--with the Legion of Super-Heroes!"
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 10-09-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Retired

Default The Super-Youth of Brozz/The Canine that Outclassed Krypto

Frank Merrill, the Super-Youth of Brozz

SUPERBOY 109 (December 1963)--1st story, “The Super-Youth of Brozz” by Jerry Siegel and George Papp; 2nd story, The Super-Dog that Replaced Krypto” by Siegel and Papp:

Seeing something of himself in Frank Merrill, a timid teen who lives at the Smallville Orphanage, Superboy transports Frank by a small space-bubble to the far off planet of Brozz. There the Boy of Steel has no powers, but Frank has powers akin to those of Superboy’s on Earth, due to elements in the atmosphere.

Clark had hoped that by taking the orphan to a planet where he would have great strength, he would overcome his natural shyness and discover the brave person inside himself. This works out, as Frank adopts the super-heroic identity of Super-Youth. Superboy had assumed that Super-Youth would want to return to Earth, but Frank opts to stay on Brozz and become the planet’s champion. Nor does he create a secret identity for himself and, although a scientist on the planet wishes to adopt him, Frank vetos any family connections. He doesn’t want to hide nor does he want to put others in danger.

Brozz is populated by humanoids that look just like Earth people. They are more advanced than us and a white helmet, that looks like a building site helmet, gives the wearer the ability to communicate telepathically.

Krypto's Rivals

Swifty

Also in SUPERBOY 109 is the second story of Swifty, a greyhound who first bow-wowed in . . .

SUPERBOY 105 (June 1963)--3rd story,“The Super-Dog that was Greater than Krypto,” by Siegel and Plastino; r. SUPERBOY 174 [G-83] (May-June 1971).

That initial tale told how, in the state of Virginia, the greyhound was rescued by the Boy of Steel from an attack by Swifty’s mean master. The smart tracker then embarked on a cross-country journey to find the hero that saved him. Clark, camping with his parents, was amazed to see the greyhound arrive many a week later, having followed his trail. And realizing that Swifty was quite intelligent, the Boy of Steel gave the canny canine a serum that granted temporary super-powers comparable to those of Krypto.

Clark loaned Swifty a spare cape and they went into outer space to clear a meteor storm of Kryptonite. Meanwhile, Krypto was not too happy about another pooch poaching his spot next to the Kid from Krypton. The Dog Knight took off across the universe, ending up on a planet where babies are pet animals to dog-like people. The misbehaved pet babies threw stones at our favourite Superdog.

Next, Krypto returned to Earth for one last glimpse, before quitting this universe forever. However, the Canine from Krypton spied Swifty attempting to save endangered whales from an attack by poachers, when an errant harpoon struck the greyhound and rendered him unconscious. Realizing that Swifty’s powers had worn off, Krypto hesitated for a second before saving his rival from drowning in the ocean.

Superboy told Krypto that he wanted to give Swifty super-powers so the Dog of Steel would have another pup to play with in outer space--with the added benefit of immunity to green K. In the meanwhile, Swifty had hit the road and later pretended not to recognize Clark Kent when he passed him in the street.

When the hobo hound shows up again in SUPERBOY 109, he’s being psychically manipulated by the villains from the Phantom Zone. Through a series of events, not only does Swifty regain his powers, but he also gains the ability to speak. As the greyhound now has an advantage over Krypto, the Boy of Steel takes Swifty with him on a mission to a faraway planetoid--even giving the greyhound Krypto’s invulnerable cape. On the planet, they broker a peace between two warring colonies. One colony is humanoid in appearance, but the other is feline. An “Ultimate Weapon” that was invented but never used in the war is surrendered to Superboy who takes it back to our moon where he has a secret cache for just such things.

There, the Phantom Zoners use Swifty to lead the Boy of Steel into a green K. trap, but Krypto’s quick thinking saves them. Then Swifty returns to Earth, his powers worn off, and the littlest hobo leaves to wander the Earth once more, travelling here and travelling there gathering memories.

Zkor

SUPERBOY 148 (June 1968)--2nd story, “The Canine that Outclassed Krypto” by Cary Bates, George Papp and Frank Springer:

The original Swifty plot was recycled for the story of Zkor, in SUPERBOY 148. And even though the story title suggests Zkor is a canine, that hardly is the case, given the creature looks more like a small magenta dinosaur or dragon.

After Superboy is alerted to the escape of a flying beast from an interplanetary zoo, he discovers that winged beast attacking a small creature in outer space. The grateful victim of the attack trails the Boy of Steel home to Earth. As it has telepathic abilities, the creature relates to Superboy that it is Zkor. At one time he was the beloved pet of an alien family; however, when their space-cruiser was destroyed in a meteor storm, Zkor was the sole survivor and was left to drift aimlessly through the cosmos.

Zkor is gifted with many powers in addition to telepathy, including energy blasts from his paws, repulsion rays and walls of force. When Krypto returns to Smallville from outer space, the pup sees that his master has taken a new pet and feels rejected. The two rivals get into it, but Zkor proves much more powerful than Krypto and the Superdog questions his place in Superboy’s life.

Then one day, Krypto finds his replacement lying weak on the ground in a thunderstorm and Zkor communicates to Krypto that rain is his weakness. The Superdog pauses for a second, wondering if he should try to save his usurper, but immediately does the right thing and carries the creature out of the rain and into the sunlight. As it would be impossible to remain on Earth with its rain, Zkor elects to leave.

However, Zkor merely pretended to be weakened by rain. Perceiving that Krypto felt rejected, Zkor concocted this ruse to spare Krypto's feelings. The weird animal is left to wander the cosmos once again, in search of someone else to take him in.

Given Zkor is an intelligent creature that communicates his thoughts through telepathy, it seems ridiculous that he should be someone else’s pet. He ought to be an independent being. One can make the same argument for Krypto. While he might not have telepathy, we know that he’s highly intelligent from his thought balloons. Even though he’s called a pet--is he really? Superboy rarely restricts his freedom. Krypto is free to go wherever he wants and simply chooses to stay with Superboy out of love and a desire for companionship.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-27-2024 at 07:58 PM.

I love this thread especially with the United Planet Superwatch showing up in Green Lantern #9. So many potential members for the Superwatch.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I love this thread especially with the United Planet Superwatch showing up in Green Lantern #9. So many potential members for the Superwatch.
    Over on your "New Cosmic Team arrives in Green Lantern #9 composed of old characters" topic, you list the heroes from this group. I think I've covered all of them except Vartox and Maxima (both characters I've been meaning to do eventually)--but I'm not sure about Strong-Woman (Marta of Thronn), I don't see her on my list, but did I cover her?

Retired

Oops. Now I realize, you linked to this who are they site--and they list Marta as being in GREEN LANTERN 32 (from the '60s). I remember that story from the Archives. So I might include it here--even though it's tangental to Superman. Interesting how planets will have similar sounding names--such as Thronn, Thoron and Thrann.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Oops. Now I realize, you linked to this who are they site--and they list Marta as being in GREEN LANTERN 32 (from the '60s). I remember that story from the Archives. So I might include it here--even though it's tangental to Superman. Interesting how planets will have similar sounding names--such as Thronn, Thoron and Thrann.
    Reminds me of the T-alien thing in Star Trek. Terrellian, Tarelian, etc....

Some for consideration

Balloon Man, Electric Man, Flame & Freezer (World's Finest #145)
    Majestic (WildStorm) - (Majestic #1-4) limited series where he stands in for Superman on Earth
    Paz and Vestion (Superman #148, 150) - along with Vartox

Atom King, Electroman & Green Lantern (Action Comics #386) - distant future
    Replikon - controlled into fightning Superman
    Vanguard (New Teen Titans Annual #1) - limited ties to Superman.

Retired

Some for consideration

Balloon Man, Electric Man, Flame & Freezer (World's Finest #145)
    Majestic (WildStorm) - (Majestic #1-4) limited series where he stands in for Superman on Earth
    Paz and Vestion (Superman #148, 150) - along with Vartox

Atom King, Electroman & Green Lantern (Action Comics #386) - distant future
    Replikon - controlled into fightning Superman
    Vanguard (New Teen Titans Annual #1) - limited ties to Superman.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to get around to doing most of these guys, when I have the chance.

I'll probably post about Strong-Woman but only because she's attached to the other Superman heroes now. As a general rule, I want to stay away from Green Lantern as much as I can, because there's potentially thousands of alien super-folk involved with the Green Lantern Corps. And I'm sure there are websites just for those.

I really wanted to stick mainly with Superman and his extended family (which can include Batman and Robin), as I didn't see any comprehensive list for these forgotten heroes when I started this project. And after all my searches on the internet, I still haven't come across a website that has done a dragnet of all Superman companions from other planets.

I also wanted to stay away from heroes in other centuries--unless they have an attachment to the 20th/21st centuries. I didn't want to have to get too deep into the Legion of Super-Heroes and all their asscociates, if I could avoid it and there's websites for the LSH, too. But there are some that I should probably include--as with Mon-El.

I still have a long list of characters I'm working through. Sometimes I read a story thinking it will fit my criteria only to find it was just a hoax or a robot or a dream. And, as can be seen from my activity on this thread, I only get around to doing them when I'm in the mood and I can devote the time to them. But it's great fun, reading through the stories in search of the forgotten.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to get around to doing most of these guys, when I have the chance.

I'll probably post about Strong-Woman but only because she's attached to the other Superman heroes now. As a general rule, I want to stay away from Green Lantern as much as I can, because there's potentially thousands of alien super-folk involved with the Green Lantern Corps. And I'm sure there are websites just for those.

I really wanted to stick mainly with Superman and his extended family (which can include Batman and Robin), as I didn't see any comprehensive list for these forgotten heroes when I started this project. And after all my searches on the internet, I still haven't come across a website that has done a dragnet of all Superman companions from other planets.

I also wanted to stay away from heroes in other centuries--unless they have an attachment to the 20th/21st centuries. I didn't want to have to get too deep into the Legion of Super-Heroes and all their asscociates, if I could avoid it and there's websites for the LSH, too. But there are some that I should probably include--as with Mon-El.

I still have a long list of characters I'm working through. Sometimes I read a story thinking it will fit my criteria only to find it was just a hoax or a robot or a dream. And, as can be seen from my activity on this thread, I only get around to doing them when I'm in the mood and I can devote the time to them. But it's great fun, reading through the stories in search of the forgotten.
    Your guide lines eliminate Atom King, Electroman & Green Lantern (Action Comics #386) - distant future but the others should be relevant along with possibly Jemm, Son of Saturn. Cant wait to see what you have coming up! Also can't help to wonder if this thread isn't what inspired Green Lantern #9.

Retired

It's funny that I was thinking about what Grant Morrison did with the Batmen of All Nations/Club of Heroes when I started this thread and a few years later Grant Morrison does just what I wanted for Superman. I wonder, if he had stayed with the New 52 Superman, would he have created the United Planets Superwatch back then?

It's funny that I was thinking about what Grant Morrison did with the Batmen of All Nations/Club of Heroes when I started this thread and a few years later Grant Morrison does just what I wanted for Superman. I wonder, if he had stayed with the New 52 Superman, would he have created the United Planets Superwatch back then?
    Possible, just glad to see it happen though i could do with a little less death.

Retired

Default Power Battery Peril/Prison for Heroes

Two tales of heroes in prison from the Fall of ’64

Here is an honourable mention for the Honor Team of Thronn in “Power Battery Peril,” GREEN LANTERN 32 (October 1964).

The planet Thronn has an “honor team” of four mighty heroes: Energiman, Golden Blade, Strong Girl and Magicko. They are defeated by the evil Vant Orl and imprisoned in an ergal prism on the moon Memal. But Energiman uses his great energy to suck Hal Jordan into his power battery and through space to Memal, although the effort costs him his life. Then on Thronn, it’s a battle of wills between Hal and Vant Orl, but finally he succeeds in defeating the villain and freeing the three remaining defenders of Thronn from their imprisonment in the ergal prism.

This is a great tale by Gardner Fox, Gil Kane and Sid Greene. It has the wonderful science motifs of a good Schwartz era story and gives Gil Kane the chance to draw the full range of characters and environments he was so good at doing. Energiman is a bugged-eye Kane alien, Golden Blade is one of Gil’s warrior hero types and Strong Girl is the kind of super-hero he might have designed for Tower Comics. And the gruesome looking Vant Orl is suitably loathsome as a villain should be.

At the end of the story, Hal promises to contact the Guardians and have them send a Green Lantern to guard this sector. Which is what I imagine happened, with the new Green Lantern taking the place of the dear Energiman who lost his life for his world.

More heroes doing hard time--

And just a month later came another argument for prison reform in WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 145 (November 1964) “Prison for Heroes,” by Edmond Hamilton, Curt Swan and George Klein.

A mysterious voice summons the Caped Crusader and transports him in a bubble across the vastness of the cosmos on a mission for a conclave of heroes. However, the Batman has been duped and he’s brought to a Prison for Heroes to be its warden. He resists, but a super-hypnotic ray turns him bad. He then uses a deceptive signal for help to bring Superman to the prison. A sunlight filter changes the radiation of that world’s sun from yellow to red; although, the Caped Kryptonian still has some residual vision powers and breath powers.

At the prison are several other heroes already in custody, including Electric Man, Balloon Man, the Freezer and the Flame--whose powers have been neutralized by the vagaries of the atmospheric vapours and temperatures on that world.

The Dark Knight as a warden is a cruel taskmaster and he drives the prisoners on the rock pile so hard that Superman is broken and seethes with hate for the Batman. He’s determined to break out and get back at his former friend.

Break out he does and forces open the door to the warden’s office. Batman is shocked that the Man of Steel has regained all his powers, before being knocked out. When he has regained consciousness, the tables are turned and Superman is now the cruel overlord lashing Batman with a force ray.

We then see those that have set this whole thing in motion as part of a plot for galactic conquest. On another planet called Vor, His Majesty and his subjects wonder how Superman could have regained his powers. They travel by space-ship to the prison planet and soon determine that the Man of Steel is still powerless. It was all a trick to make them think he had regained his powers, so they would journey there to investigate.

Meanwhile the Batman, who is no longer under their hypnotic control, has commandeered their spacecraft and uses it to destroy the red sun filter so Superman might return to full power.

Turns out that with his modest super-breath and heat vision, the Man of Steel had been able to create temporary conditions where the powers of Electric Man, Balloon Man, the Freezer and the Flame could briefly return to make it appear as if Superman was at full strength. And he quickly fashioned a Kryptonian Super-De-Hypnotizing Device to counter the Super-Hypnotic spell that made Batman turn bad.

Retired

Your guide lines eliminate Atom King, Electroman & Green Lantern (Action Comics #386) - distant future . . .
    I wish I could have found a way to justify the inclusion of “The Home for Old Super-Heroes”--in ACTION COMICS 386 (March ’70), by Cary Bates, Curt Swan and George Roussos, with a cover by Swan and Murphy Anderson. The three part Immortal Superman story in ACTION COMICS 385 - 387 is one of my all-time favourite stories. But try as I might, I just couldn’t find a good reason to go against my self-imposed rules to include it on my list. Unfortunately.

[Ed. Note: In the unfolding of existence, I reconsidered and reviewed this story arc--one of my favourites of all time and space--in posts #629 - 633]
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-27-2024 at 08:08 PM.

I wish I could have found a way to justify the inclusion of “The Home for Old Super-Heroes”--in ACTION COMICS 386 (March ’70), by Cary Bates, Curt Swan and George Roussos, with a cover by Swan and Murphy Anderson. The three part Immortal Superman story in ACTION COMICS 385 - 387 is one of my all-time favourite stories. But try as I might, I just couldn’t find a good reason to go against my self-imposed rules to include it on my list. Unfortunately.

Understandable

So I suppose this doesn't include characters who are(in universe) imitating Superman? On New Earth, Leslie Willis did that.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Leslie_Wi...ew_Costume.jpg