Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    You don't have to actually go very far for that. CBR themselves have only given this book 2 and a half stars i.e. 5.0
    This place is mostly Gambit fans and fangirls of like D listens so of course they wouldn't give it 5 stars every book.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    You don't have to actually go very far for that. CBR themselves have only given this book 2 and a half stars i.e. 5.0
    Wow. That's some bullshit right there.

Spectacular Member reptarcereal's Avatar

UXM > EXM

I've only read these two of the current x-line and I quickly dropped EXM. The writing was pretty bad & Ramos art didn't help.

To give it all a fair shot, I've read the first arcs of the core X-Books, if any of these titles can be considered "core" X-anything.

1. I didn't enjoy EXM at all, just about hated it, actually...dropped it from my pull as fast as I could. Really, what's to like, here? I'm not sure I can summon a single, compelling, positive thing to say about this title...'nuff said.

2. ANXM: See above (trendy teen X-Men taking the place of the awesome extremist Cyclops and White Queen...no thank you)...dropped.

3. Wolverine (X-23): Love X-23, and I'm liking her so far as Wolverine...will keep reading.

4. UXM is my favorite of the bunch. Magneto, Mystique and Sabertooth = The Uncanny X-Men = I'm most likely in for however long this one lasts.

5. OML: I don't care for this character, hope to never see him again, will skip over his word balloons whenever he unavoidably pops up.

6. Uncanny Avengers...well...not really so terrible or so great at all. I don't think I'll be spending $24.00 every six issues on this comic (wait, really? $24.00 for six issues, on any Marvel comic? Does this mean $48.00 for twelve issues, and $96.00 for twenty-four issues? I think this is exactly what it means...just making me more and more critical, and so very, very picky, so choosy-choosy-choosy).

7. Deadpool: Sure, I'll keep reading, for a little while, anyway. It's definitely not blowing me away or anything, and at $4.00 or more a pop, Marvel and their comics need to be delivering well beyond the goods.
    Last edited by Skeleton13; 05-09-2016 at 01:46 AM.

these posts interest me. i am relatively new to reading comics regularly, but have a general idea of the world, characters, main stories, ect. i enjoy reading what everyone has to say, especially the compare/contrast on the different books.

I'm enjoying Wolverine, Old Man Logan, EXM, and UXM all about the same. I'm not pulling any of the rest. I get what people are saying about Lemire not being as solid on a team book as a solo book, but I am enjoying the characterization that happening in EXM. Magik is being well written. The Logan/Storm and Logan/Jean relationships are compelling. It also hasn't been the fastest paced book, but I am really enjoying it. There is something about the art that I dig too.

Since I do not have the historical context, I guess I am not expecting anything ... and the things that might seem worn out are still new to me.

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men and Uncanny Avengers are the best team books by far. I think Extraordinary is probably the worst, although All New has it moments.

Both All New Wolverine and Old Man Logan are pretty good but the constant guest star rotation is wearing thin fast. Deadpool's better than it gets credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by CrescentFresh View Post
    these posts interest me. i am relatively new to reading comics regularly, but have a general idea of the world, characters, main stories, ect. i enjoy reading what everyone has to say, especially the compare/contrast on the different books.

I'm enjoying Wolverine, Old Man Logan, EXM, and UXM all about the same. I'm not pulling any of the rest. I get what people are saying about Lemire not being as solid on a team book as a solo book, but I am enjoying the characterization that happening in EXM. Magik is being well written. The Logan/Storm and Logan/Jean relationships are compelling. It also hasn't been the fastest paced book, but I am really enjoying it. There is something about the art that I dig too.

Since I do not have the historical context, I guess I am not expecting anything ... and the things that might seem worn out are still new to me.
    Well I think that's certainly a thing. Newer readers will indeed see things with different eyes because they have less things to reference to. It's impossible to tell out-of-character behavior or bad dialogue for example when you have read nothing else.

Welcome to the X-boards by the way.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Amazing Member

Surprised at those critics scores for Uncanny, its easily better than Extraordinary and getting better with each issue as the depth and subtle plots really increase. Extraordinary is great fun, very old school and its a comfortable read but Bunn is working on a more complex and compelling level. Just a shame about that awful Greg Land art.

Analysing reviews is fascinating stuff, and an ever more popular past-time given the acidic shower of criticism that fell upon poor Batman vs Supes.

That said, Comicbookroundup is not Rotten Tomatoes. It simply does not have that many reviews to play with for aggregated review purposes. 1st issues, for obvious reasons, are widely reviewed, but succeeding issues less so - so it went from 23 for issue 1 for UXM, 12 for issue 2, and has been dipping ever since http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-bo...y-x-men-(2016). EXM is a bit more widely reviewed, but not hugely: http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-bo...ordinary-x-men

So one small coterie of reviewers are currently marking EXM an obviously gigantic 0.3 more than UXM... it doesn't prove a whole lot, except, sadly, that in the context of the general run of current Marvel titles both marks are rather mediocre (better than the Amazing Spider-Man & Silk, though http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-bo.../marvel-comics

Of course, I don't think reviews are completely pointless - Vision is receiving amazing reviews because it's an amazing comic - but we're not exactly talking a gigantic pool of critics here.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 05-12-2016 at 02:43 PM.