Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16

    Default

    He is gay, who cares?

    What is a big deal is his anxiety that he suffers. Two of my friends have anxiety really bad and that is a big deal. Glad he is feeling better.

  2. #17
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    12,806

    Default

    we may not care, but many in tv and movies still do

    and that sucks about his anxiety, happy he's a in a good place

  3. #18
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    8,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoPhotos View Post
    He is gay, who cares?

    What is a big deal is his anxiety that he suffers.
    Two of my friends have anxiety really bad and that is a big deal. Glad he is feeling better.
    The two aren't separate or existing independent of one another; so you are mistaken in trying to down play one and talk like the other shouldn't be ignored. Also: who cares? Casting directors, producers, executives; you know = people who can make or break your career as an actor. It matters. It caused his anxiety. Don't dismiss it.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

  4. #19
    Amazing Member Hank XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    47

    Default

    that is, he was afraid of rumor-mongering increase.

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    I am not trying to be a dick here but if you have anxiety issues that bad why would you choose to get into an acting career which is probably the worst kind of job for someone with that problem.

  6. #21
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am not trying to be a dick here but if you have anxiety issues that bad why would you choose to get into an acting career which is probably the worst kind of job for someone with that problem.
    t really depends. There ARE stars out there who manage to have careers where they're not CONSTANTLY in the public eye. (Most are known in the biz as "character actors." You see them everywhere but may not know their names very well--or even at all.) And some celebs manage to hide their issues for a long time (consider the case of Robin Williams). Others manage to hide them while in the public eye, then turn into recluses (think Howard Hughes).

    And it's extremely likely when he got the gig on "Arrow," he was in a fairly decent place mentally but just found he couldn't deal with everything--especially the increasing fame. Conversely, just imagine if he'd gone in for the audition and said, "Oh, by the way, I've got some anxiety issues that might cause some problems if Roy becomes too central to the show but please don't hold that against me as I'm reading for the part." Like ANY job, people with anxiety issues have really good days and really bad days. If you think acting is somehow a worse career path than any other, you're really mistaken. (Also, it's not JUST his acting CAREER that was responsible for the increased anxiety. He might have to be "Roy" for 10 hours a day, 4 to 6 days a week, 15-20 weeks a year but he had to be "Colton in the closet" the rest of the time. Many times, young gay actors and actresses are pressured to be "straight" in the "real world"--especially when/if their characters are straight--and it can really take a toll on their psyches, even when they're in a very centered place. But young business professionals face the same situation. Things are changing everywhere, but there is still a lot of resistance--and reluctance--to accepting OPENLY gay people in many workplaces. Even in that supposedly liberal bastion of Hollywood, there's still a reluctance to hire openly gay actors to play straight characters; hell, there's reluctance to hire openly gay actors to play gay characters, especially in films with relatively big budgets.)

  7. #22
    Fantastic Member cadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
    t really depends. There ARE stars out there who manage to have careers where they're not CONSTANTLY in the public eye. (Most are known in the biz as "character actors." You see them everywhere but may not know their names very well--or even at all.) And some celebs manage to hide their issues for a long time (consider the case of Robin Williams). Others manage to hide them while in the public eye, then turn into recluses (think Howard Hughes).

    And it's extremely likely when he got the gig on "Arrow," he was in a fairly decent place mentally but just found he couldn't deal with everything--especially the increasing fame. Conversely, just imagine if he'd gone in for the audition and said, "Oh, by the way, I've got some anxiety issues that might cause some problems if Roy becomes too central to the show but please don't hold that against me as I'm reading for the part." Like ANY job, people with anxiety issues have really good days and really bad days. If you think acting is somehow a worse career path than any other, you're really mistaken. (Also, it's not JUST his acting CAREER that was responsible for the increased anxiety. He might have to be "Roy" for 10 hours a day, 4 to 6 days a week, 15-20 weeks a year but he had to be "Colton in the closet" the rest of the time. Many times, young gay actors and actresses are pressured to be "straight" in the "real world"--especially when/if their characters are straight--and it can really take a toll on their psyches, even when they're in a very centered place. But young business professionals face the same situation. Things are changing everywhere, but there is still a lot of resistance--and reluctance--to accepting OPENLY gay people in many workplaces. Even in that supposedly liberal bastion of Hollywood, there's still a reluctance to hire openly gay actors to play straight characters; hell, there's reluctance to hire openly gay actors to play gay characters, especially in films with relatively big budgets.)
    I think a Greg Berlanti production like Arrow is one place being openly gay won't stop someone from being hired (Wentworth Miller, Victor Garber, Barrowman, etc).

    I do think since there's so much insecurity involved in being a working actor it does seem like one of the most difficult career choices for someone with anxiety to pick.

  8. #23
    Super Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    702

    Default

    His experiences sadly seem to mirror what Wentworth Miller was going through while he, too, was in the closet. That's a whooooooole lot of pressure for a person to deal with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •