Default General consensus on Action Lab comics

Lately I've been trying to read more independent comics, mainly to get a feel for what else is out there, and one of the things I found was a interesting mini-series called Stray: who killed the Doberman? by Action Lab comics. I actually really liked it, probably because the main character slightly reminded me of one of my favorite DC character, Nightwing. I liked it so much that I looked into Action Lab to see what else they had and I found that not only do they have a good handful of superhero series but also that currently they have an event called Actionverse, which has recently joined the increasingly large list of series I want to pick up in trade, where all their heroes are apparently crossing over. I don't see a whole lot of independent connected superhero universes outside of DC and Marvel, so I will say that it immediately caught my interest just for that alone.

With all this in mind and the fact that it doesn't look as though they've been around very long I thought I'd ask what the general consensus is on Action Lab Entertainment and their line of comics?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

My only experience so far with Action Lab has been their Princeless series. I have a 9-year-old son and he has been loving it; and I have to confess that I've been enjoying it to too.

That being said: I've read good reviews on some of their other titles (Superhuman Resources and Molly Danger) and have been thinking about trying them out sometime. That's about as far as I've gotten. I'd also like to hear what others have to say about the work that Action Lab publishes.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Lately I've been trying to read more independent comics, mainly to get a feel for what else is out there, and one of the things I found was a interesting mini-series called Stray: who killed the Doberman? by Action Lab comics. I actually really liked it, probably because the main character slightly reminded me of one of my favorite DC character, Nightwing. I liked it so much that I looked into Action Lab to see what else they had and I found that not only do they have a good handful of superhero series but also that currently they have an event called Actionverse, which has recently joined the increasingly large list of series I want to pick up in trade, where all their heroes are apparently crossing over. I don't see a whole lot of independent connected superhero universes outside of DC and Marvel, so I will say that it immediately caught my interest just for that alone.

With all this in mind and the fact that it doesn't look as though they've been around very long I thought I'd ask what the general consensus is on Action Lab Entertainment and their line of comics?
    Sounds like you missed the 90s, when every publisher under the sun was launching a superhero universe.

Based on your enjoyment, I would say sample some more Action Lab stuff (I haven't read anything from them, myself). Back when I was in high school, I was pretty much burnt out on comics from DC and Marvel, though I still read a couple of books. However, I discovered First Comics and a couple of other independents and it opened new possibilities for me, though it took another year before I could really see the possibilities, at my first comic shop. At that point, First had launched Jon Sable Freelance and American Flagg, plus the first couple of issues continuing Mike Grell's Starslayer. They were completely different from anything at the big two. Sable spoke to my then-interest in th Mack Bolan and other men's adventure books, though with much better writing and a more rounded character. American Flagg was just wicked satire and great hard-boiled adventure. they were giving me the pulp that I wasn't getting at the Big Two, but used to get in the 70s. Once I entered a comic shop, there were all kinds of cool looking books. Those early issues led me to read more First Comics and I was rarely disappointed. Same thing when I found Eclipse and then Comico, Dark Horse, Innovation, and some others. If a company is willing to publish something you really enjoy, but don't see elsewhere, chances are some of the other things they publish will also suit you.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I've read several series from Action Lab, though nothing in the past couple of years has piqued my interest, and those I've read, I've enjoyed; typically, though, I choose non-super-hero titles.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet