Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    He's working in the media industry during the 1950's.... He'd be working with a few paid up members of the communist party. That's what the macarthy era was all about.

I'm going for a 'good luck, good night' vibe, (a more recent reference would be the Cohen bothers' hail Cesar.)

It was a time when certain sections of the american public felt the need to keep secrets. It acts as a perfect mirror for a someone how is both a superhero and gay...
    Dude! Write this comic so that I can read it! Forget DC, come up with a new hero and send the pitch to Image!!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Dude! Write this comic so that I can read it! Forget DC, come up with a new hero and send the pitch to Image!!
    One of the appeals of a historic piece is the modern take we have on issues that were left untouched in the 40s and 50s. Closeted gay heroes have been touched upon in other series, but something like this (which I would love, BTW) would be a way to examine society in that time and how what we accept so easily today would be looked at differently then. Ed's right about this going to another company. Although Alan Scott fits perfectly into this, the concept is more about his surrounding than about him.

Spectacular Member

Allan Scott is not selling enough nowadays. Make him black as well and he will sell better.

BANNED

By the way, that's not to say there could be no stories about Alan in the 40s and 50s. Of course there could be. But the way to tell them is in flashback minis, not in an ongoing. The ongoing title should be set here and now.

The same is true of the Justice Society. You can show their past adventures in minis while you set their ongoing in this place and time. .
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-08-2016 at 06:05 AM.

BANNED

When he arrives here from the past, his Starheart ring should work for a while, but then its power should start to fade. He should be offered a position in the Corps, and Baz, Cruz and Rayner (and maybe Stewart) should be sent to so something else as a team.

BANNED

He shouldn't be based in Coast City, and Gotham City is badly overexposed. I suggest Metropolis, which would spawn some interactions with Superman.

He's working in the media industry during the 1950's.... He'd be working with a few paid up members of the communist party. That's what the macarthy era was all about.

I'm going for a 'good luck, good night' vibe, (a more recent reference would be the Cohen bothers' hail Cesar.)

It was a time when certain sections of the american public felt the need to keep secrets. It acts as a perfect mirror for a someone how is both a superhero and gay...
    Except the original Alan Scott isn't gay. That's the New 52 version you're thinking of.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Except the original Alan Scott isn't gay. That's the New 52 version you're thinking of.

I thought it'd be cool to throw everything together. In the 40's and 50's, lots of gay men had a straight home life. Including a wife and kids.

So, there's really no contradiction at all...

I'd like to see a macarthy era Alan Scott.

Alan as a married man with two kids, working for TV station full of paid up communists. In a tense environment, Alan has too keep his secrets as both a superhero and a closeted gay man...
    I know I'm going to be pilloried as homophobic, but can we please let go of the fallacy that James Robinson writing the New 52 Earth-2 title's Alan Scott as gay (for no other reason than because Obsidian was retconned out of existence) somehow made the real Alan Scott gay as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    When he arrives here from the past, his Starheart ring should work for a while, but then its power should start to fade. He should be offered a position in the Corps, and Baz, Cruz and Rayner (and maybe Stewart) should be sent to so something else as a team.
    Absolutely not. The thing that makes Alan Scott and his powers interesting is that they're not part of the “Green Lantern Corps” mythos. He doesn't wield a pseudo-scientific Green Light, patrol space, or answer to little blue guys on a distant world; he has a magic ring that manifests its supernatural powers as the Green Flame of Life, his adventures are set on Earth and tend to have a mystical bent to them; and he answers to nobody but himself. Inducting him into the Corps would ruin him.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-15-2016 at 10:38 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I know I'm going to be pilloried as homophobic, but can we please let go of the fallacy that James Robinson writing the New 52 Earth-2 title's Alan Scott as gay (for no other reason than because Obsidian was retconned out of existence) somehow made the real Alan Scott gay as well?
    I'm afraid the genie may be out a of the bottle now. They shown a gay Alan Scott in a mainstream ongoing series. Whenever a new writer handles that character, being gay will always be a viable option.

At least my version works it all together, allowing characters such as obsidian to still exist.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I agree. If they bring back the original JSA characters, the writers should be true to established stories and characterization. Otherwise, what's the point?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Allan Scott is not selling enough nowadays. Make him black as well and he will sell better.
    Don't give them any ideas like that.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-16-2016 at 06:29 AM.

BANNED

Alan cane be gay on Earth 2. He han have his kids Jenny and Toff here.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Alan cane be gay on Earth 2. He han have his kids Jenny and Toff here.
    You know who else had kids???? Oscar Wilde....... And Cole porter