BANNED

Default Was Azrael right?

I'm referring to his method in how he deleivered the punishment more ruthlessly than Batman. A trait Batman always seemed to scold Azrael for not tempering his rage.
    Yet as the years follows for Batman he seems to develop more of Azrael ruthless punishment upon criminal in the most crippling manner. Its even more apparent in the New 52 when Batman's over zealous physical trauma upon various henchmen's that they form a revenge group. So in the end Azrael's new form of punishment seems to be the strive for Batman, not caring for the consequences of his actions and figuring out new ploys to disfigure a person.
    Me I just think writers have went overboard in the how many times can Batman break a person.

BANNED

No.

Because they have vastly different goals.
    Azrael is about divine punishment. Batman isn't about punishment at all, when he's written correctly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Its even more apparent in the New 52 when Batman's over zealous physical trauma upon various henchmen's that they form a revenge group. So in the end Azrael's new form of punishment seems to be the strive for Batman, not caring for the consequences of his actions and figuring out new ploys to disfigure a person.
    Me I just think writers have went overboard in the how many times can Batman break a person.
    In one small arc, forgotten by everyone, including everyone actually reading the book because the same arc featured Damian squabbling with Jason and Tim.

Batman doing punishment is seen at least as early as 1989 in the first story Anarky appears Batman beats up some drug sellers because "Kids too old for their youth. Lost before they ever had a chance. Nothing I can do to change them. I can only punish, knowing that they'll never get the message." (Detective comics 608, page 3 panel 4-5). The idea of Batman doing punishment is nothing new and existed before the creation of Azrael. It is more the other way around tat you took the punishment mythos of Batman (which should not be there) and made Azrael based around that. Thereby creating a hero there is an antagonist for Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No.

Because they have vastly different goals.
    Azrael is about divine punishment. Batman isn't about punishment at all, when he's written correctly.
    This!

These guys are one of the best things to come out of the series. Look at the guy with the batarang in his head.

BANNED

I'd just like Jean-Paul Valley to come back.