Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Superman for some time has had murderous villains. Like I said to someone else, and I will just keep this short, if it's made goofy for Jon's sake, then that's a plus.
    Depends on the needs of the story but... what's with this anti-kid hero surge? They've been around fighting battles, serious or not, since there was DC so they aren't going anywhere, and I'm pretty sure most people like it that way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeefBourguignon View Post
    I had not read a DC book for few years. Like many readers I felt abandoned by DC after trying New 52 and not liking it. I never would have imagined DC would bring my Superman & Lois back. It's amazing. I thought they were gone forever. I never would have imagined DC would realize that it had gone astray and do something like Rebirth or make my Superman "prime Superman" again. Even if I saw Lois & Clark advertisements I might have been afraid that it was going to be done for bad reasons. I didn't trust DC judgement until I saw Rebirth videos and interviews which lead me to be aware of and research Lois & Clark and buy them digitally. Many of us left and didn't realize what was happening until Rebirth announcement.
    I wouldn't say many left, but at least now people like you are aware of a comic you like.

But, if New 52 Superman returns and the story of the Post-Crisis characters, excluding Jon, are concluded, will you once again leave DC?
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 05-09-2016 at 06:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It'll be interesting seeing what the sales end up looking like. Quality, and quality alone, will drive the majority of sales, but it'll be interesting trying to extrapolate the loss of 52 fans balanced against the return of post-Crisis fans. The 52 held stable and strong sales until Truth, so if the reboot didnt chase away a ton of fans I dont think this newest stunt will chase off too many either.
    Sales won't look that different from the New 52 reboot.

I said this when the sales data for Lois & Clark first came out, the number of people that actually care about a specific version of Superman make up such a small portion of comic book buyers, that it won't even be reflected in the flagship titles. As long as there's a Superman in the main titles, they'll go with it.

Given that you argue the 52 didnt actually succeed in sales, thats pretty funny. So let's check. I'll use October 2009-15 for reference and ignore 2011 since the reboot hype was still running strong. Wh

We'll stick to the 2 main titles as well, for the sake of consistency. And I'll just reference the highest selling main title (I dont have all night to dig data yknow?)

2009: Superman ranked at 55 with 35,374 sales.

2010: Superman ranked at 21 with 50,460 sales.

2012: Action ranked at 12 with 67,241 sales.

2013: Action Comics ranked 51 with 39,620 sales.

2014: Superman ranked at 31 with 53,629 sales.

2015: Superman ranked at 49 with 42,693 sales.

Seems pretty consistent to me, even without taking other factors into consideration, like in October 2015 Marvel had the Top 10 completely (the only month I looked at where not even Batman made Top 10) with a plethora of new #1's.

I know you hate to admit it, but the 52 sold pretty damn decently until last year, and Superman is actually one of the more volatile franchises, with rankings and numbers sliding up and down the chart moreso than many other titles.
    That's without counting digital sales.

In addition to print sales, there's digital, which means the New 52 Superman titles still have thousands of more readers than the last few years of the Post-Crisis titles.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 05-09-2016 at 06:20 PM.

I wonder if he will die surrounded by his loved ones.

Spectacular Member BeefBourguignon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    I wouldn't say many left, but at least now people like you are aware of a comic you like.

But, if New 52 Superman returns and the story of the Post-Crisis characters, excluding Jon, are concluded, will you once again leave DC?
    Why would you say not many? We who left are not an unsubstantial or unheard of demographic. Rebirth initiative acknowledges us.

What do you mean by concluded? If they stop being published in stories, what is there to buy? I don't understand your premise. I told you I have "returned" to DC by buying pre-FP Lois & Clark (and I will be buying the Rebirth one-shot). What do you think will happen if taken away again? I can't buy what doesn't exist.

BANNED

Why would you say not many? We who left are not an unsubstantial or unheard of demographic. Rebirth initiative acknowledges us.
    Those who left when the New 52 launched are absolutely a small demographic.

Sales didn't drastically fall until the last two or so years, and still remained higher than 2010. To suggest that those attached to the Post-Crisis Universe that stopped reading DC shortly into the New 52 made up a substantial portion of their readership, is to suggest that DC attracted so many new fans with the New 52 that they greatly outnumbered existing fans.

What do you mean by concluded? If they stop being published in stories, what is there to buy? I don't understand your premise. I told you I have "returned" to DC by buying pre-FP Lois & Clark (and I will be buying the Rebirth one-shot). What do you think will happen if taken away again? I can't buy what doesn't exist.
    I thought Superman Rebirth meant that you would begin buying various DC titles, outside of just the flagship titles. It seems that isn't the case.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I wonder if he will die surrounded by his loved ones.
    Batman, Wonder Woman, and Lois will probably be around him when he dies. So I would say, yes.

Spectacular Member

Superman has a magic no one can deny, any version it is.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Depends on the needs of the story but... what's with this anti-kid hero surge? They've been around fighting battles, serious or not, since there was DC so they aren't going anywhere, and I'm pretty sure most people like it that way.
    Other than Robin? What other kids you talk about? Kid Flash, Speedy? Donna Troy? They were more like teenagers and tweeners than actual kids. There's something terribly preposterous about 12 years olds fighting criminals even if said 12 year olds have powers.

BANNED

When I think about it, I actually wouldn't mind an alternate universe Superman as the main Superman of the New 52, if they handled it like the Samaritan from Astro City.

Right from the start of the New 52, the Superman of the New 52 is from a different Universe that was destroyed. It's too late for that now, but with Post-Crisis Superman taking over for a while, it just makes me think of all the different directions they could have taken with Superman when the New 52 launched.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    When I think about it, I actually wouldn't mind an alternate universe Superman as the main Superman of the New 52, if they handled it like the Samaritan from Astro City.

Right from the start of the New 52, the Superman of the New 52 is from a different Universe that was destroyed. It's too late for that now, but with Post-Crisis Superman taking over for a while, it just makes me think of all the different directions they could have taken with Superman when the New 52 launched.
    Cutting down on Crossover Events is really what Superman has needed done for a long time. Why DC hasn't taken a clue that repeated Crossover Events has likely hurt Superman and all the other interesting adventures that they could have done with him, had they not tied him up so much... Is perplexing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Cutting down on Crossover Events is really what Superman has needed done for a long time. Why DC hasn't taken a clue that repeated Crossover Events has likely hurt Superman and all the other interesting adventures that they could have done with him, had they not tied him up so much... Is perplexing.
    That's part of it. In early to mid 2013, the the combined print sales for the Superman books were in the 100, 000 range.

Now they are down to the 67, 000 range. Part of that's due to the increase in the digital market, but print sales would be higher if DC hadn't screwed up after Morrison left.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Other than Robin? What other kids you talk about? Kid Flash, Speedy? Donna Troy? They were more like teenagers and tweeners than actual kids. There's something terribly preposterous about 12 years olds fighting criminals even if said 12 year olds have powers.
    Wally's kids, Holly was young, I believe. The Robins started really young before. Not sure on the ages on the other Titans but the point remains.

You know what, I just wrote a reply but realized most of it doesnt matter. So Im just gonna cut this down with a quick thing for tayswift, and get to part that matters. Because I find it funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    you are taking a small sample,
    I am, because this does not need to be proven again. Ive even seen mods come down on you and threaten to hit you with the ban hammer if you kept up on this. It sold well. Let it go.

Okay, now then.

Ultimately, whoever it was who said that the fans who prefer one version over another strongly enough to drop/pick up a book is a infinitely small fraction is right. Nuper-fans and Dadfans arent going to affect overall sales either way by any truly meaningful amount. I do think it'd be fascinating to track (if it were possible) though.

Hmm. Nuperdad. Y'know what? If they do end up merging Nuperman and Superdad, that's going to be his new name!

NUPERDAD!

Faster than a "I'm gonna count to 3, son...!"

More powerful than a reverse mortgage!!!

Able to leap college funds in a single bound!!!!!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hmm. Nuperdad. Y'know what? If they do end up merging Nuperman and Superdad, that's going to be his new name!

NUPERDAD!

Faster than a "I'm gonna count to 3, son...!"

More powerful than a reverse mortgage!!!

Able to leap college funds in a single bound!!!!!!
    What is the point of this? It's not as if parents are the only people alive who have responsibilities. Do you honestly expect any time to be spent on mortgages, lengthy discipline episodes as if watching an episode of Full House, or pages devoted to saving for college? Young adults have to worry about paying bills, paying taxes, and job related demands. Comics don't spend time on those things, and it's groan inducing to see you try and mock a Superman, who is also a dad, with such commentary. I get that you think you're just having fun, but when you get right down to it, this teasing and "humor" is masking something else. Is it really necessary?