Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Amora the Enchantress: Is she deliberately being kept out of The MCU?

I was watching Thor the Dark world again and realized how weak the villain was in that movie. They have Thor's 2nd best antagonist just sitting there and with no evidence they want to use her. Was Malekith really seen as a more viable villain?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I was watching Thor the Dark world again and realized how weak the villain was in that movie. They have Thor's 2nd best antagonist just sitting there and with no evidence they want to use her. Was Malekith really seen as a more viable villain?
    Every chance she could appear in Ragnarok.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

That's something that has always puzzled me a lot and for what I see, the trend continues, neither no one knows nothing of Lorelei who appeared in a episode of midseason (first one) of Agents of SHIELD and continues missing since then and neither there is any confirmation for the third part of Thor: Ragnarok (which the little is said about it does not look good because it is talking more about things that has nothing to do with Asgard).

I, for now I will continue trying to enjoy her appearances in comics and praying that if in the end she makes the jump to the MCU, they honor and respects the character and not start doing strange inventions or stupidities of some kind.

Besides, Do you need to think of the various female villains that have appeared in the MCU or series of Television (Emma Frost, Mystique, Whitney Frost, Lorelei, Victoria Hand ...), it may be better to separate a version of another before destroying the characters.

What is not good is that one of the first Marvel villains, one of the most classical, the Thorīs Catwoman, is ignored again and again while apparent low level characters are out there (some with better luck than others), bigger characters depending who, with great portrayals (Magneto or Kingpin).

Maybe, she should not be called Enchantress if she appears on any MCU movie because of the DCīs Enchantress from Suicide Squad something that should not be like that because it was first Amora before June Moon when thinking on first appearances on comics.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'd rather Amora be saved for her own movie since I think she's a strong enough villain. Malekith is an important comics villain - his weakness in the movie isn't due to the source material. So it made sense to use him second. They want to do Ragnarok for the third movie (and have Hela), so, assuming Surtur is there, Amora would be kind of left out.

Lorelei was in AoS precisely because she's not as important a character as the Enchantress.

Amora needs to be in the third film played by Natalie Dormer. I would rather see her in an anti-hero role like Catwoman, where she has her own agenda but has a great love and appreciation for Thor.

And I agree with you regarding Malekith. He was easily one of the worst MCU villains so far and there was no reason to bring him in, over so many other great Thor villains. Then again, I'm glad Amora was spared from that dreadful film. She would've probably been regulated to a background role so Darcy and Portman's dreadful Foster can shine.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Had Enchantress appeared she would have suffered the same fate. The problem was not that Malekith sucks as a villain, the problem was that the script was heavily rewritten very close to filming so they could increase Loki's role significantly, which led to them cutting most of Malekith's scenes.

Incredible Member

Amora should have been in the franchise from the start, instead of using Earth characters so heavily, IMO. Her and Skurge both mean more to the Thor mythology than the nurse turned astrophysicist, and it's only hurt the Asgard side for not only Amora but Sif as well.

Amazing Member

While it was nice that Loki got more scenes both he, Thor and malekith , as well as all other Asgardins and other players got shorted so that they could fit in more Jane , Darcy, and Eric and earth scenes in . the story could of cut earth out all together.

Have some one close to both Loki and Thor get possed by the either, Loki would have a better incentive to help. The only reason he did was to get revenge for frigga's death . If she had not been fridged Loki would not of helped, in my opinion.
    Focus on Asgard not earth . That is why the Thor franchise is the weakest in the marvel movies he doesn't fit in the MCU since magic is just advanced science in the movies. Don't know how they will make Dr. strange work.

Just my two bits
    Last edited by Rc1ca; 05-07-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I like Amora, but she's gone through long periods of not being used, even in the comics. After the Thor story she first appeared in, she basically almost never appeared in the Thor comic, and only occasionally turned up as a member of the Masters of Evil. (I think Kirby preferred using Karnilla as the resident Hot Sorceress in Thor.) She had a revival in the '80s when she started to appear more often in Thor, got a sister, and played an important role in comics like Dazzler and Secret Wars. And since then she's appeared more often, but it's not surprising that she isn't used a whole lot, because she has a rather small presence in the classic '60s comics.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I like Amora, but she's gone through long periods of not being used, even in the comics. After the Thor story she first appeared in, she basically almost never appeared in the Thor comic, and only occasionally turned up as a member of the Masters of Evil. (I think Kirby preferred using Karnilla as the resident Hot Sorceress in Thor.) She had a revival in the '80s when she started to appear more often in Thor, got a sister, and played an important role in comics like Dazzler and Secret Wars. And since then she's appeared more often, but it's not surprising that she isn't used a whole lot, because she has a rather small presence in the classic '60s comics.
    It's kind of ironic given I think she's, next to Loki, probably the most prolific of Thor's villains in terms of media appearances.

She was in Super Hero Squad, had a big role in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, was in the Hulk vs. Thor and Tales of Asgard movies...she's in a lot of games too.
    Last edited by Frontier; 05-07-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'd rather Amora be saved for her own movie since I think she's a strong enough villain. Malekith is an important comics villain - his weakness in the movie isn't due to the source material. So it made sense to use him second. They want to do Ragnarok for the third movie (and have Hela), so, assuming Surtur is there, Amora would be kind of left out.

Lorelei was in AoS precisely because she's not as important a character as the Enchantress.
    Malekith is an okay character but I doubt anyone was really calling for him over the Enchantress. Amora is clearly Thor's 2nd best antagonist.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I could see a desire to shake things up and not have an Asgardian be the villain for two straight films.

I have a feeling there will be no Amora in the Ragnarok film. It looks like they're going to do a version of the "Hulk vs" movie where Loki probably manipulates Hulk into trashing Asgard. Then Thor will try and make a deal with Hela to spare Banner's soul or something. Only monkey wrench I can see is the culmination of Loki's machinations blowing up in his face as Thanos shows up and ruins everything at the end. Not exactly enthused about this movie quite honestly, especially after the awful Dark World.

The big problem is she doesn't really bring much. She's basically Female Loki. She's a magic-user trying to accrue power through manipulation and deception. The big difference is that she also has guys hanging off her. Yippee.

She can bring plenty to the comics. She would bring very little the movies. There's just no point in using her, especially since she doesn't really have any iconic stories. She had a cool character arc in Simonson's Thor, but that was a long game. There's no iconic Enchantress story.

Meanwhile, Malekith did have an iconic Thor story. Which is why it sucks that it was adapted so poorly, but still. Malekith is totally logical villain to use.

I remember being mildly excited about Malekith's inclusion in the film as I thought we would see a more Asgard-centric movie (with the other Nine Realms). I thought the MCU was finally going to go for the more mythological/fantasy take on Thor, but little did we know they were thinking Twilight-meets-Star Wars instead.