Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Ok I have to defend Thanos for a second here. If you read Ultimates you know how he gets the information about the cube. In his mind no one knows that he is coming and the cube isn't really going to be protected by anyone powerful. Remember the only reason Carol was there was to shut the program down. So in his mind its going to be a simple smash and grab. Go in blow things up grab the cube and get out.

To his surprise he has a full team of super heroes just waiting for him the moment he lands. How could he have known that all of them would be right there when he landed? The only problem I had was him going down so easy. I love Captain Marvel but that was quick.
    To be fair, the team combination was POWERFUL. He shouldn't have went down so quickly but I think they could beat him. Don't get why Captain Marvel was the one to knock him out when half the heroes there could beat her with one hand.

Extraordinary Member

I think it's she-hulk that is killed or in the vision is killed.
    Here are the clues.

CIVIL WAR II: CHOOSING SIDES #2 (of 6)

• A major loss sends shockwaves through the super hero community forcing everyone to reexamine their alliances...did they choose the right side?
    • Featuring Nick Fury, War Machine and Tom Foster, a.k.a. Goliath!

War-machine is alive here it seems.

THE TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #9

• AMADEUS CHO has lost someone very close to him. Now he's mad. VERY MAD. No one would like him when he's very mad.

It says some one close to AMADEUS.I don't think that's war-machine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    It's all about feats and established history. Thanos was always a genius "brute", who could tank hits from Mega-Heavy-Hitters, such as Odin, Galactus, etc, etc. To have Carol and her pals beat him up is... less than ideal. I like Blue Marvel a lot, but his appearance and his "fight" with the Mighty Avengers was a major case of PIS. I understand that power-levels change constantly, but Bendis manages to fail at both power consistency and characterization.
    Completely disagree, PIS is what people wish to believe. You're a fan of Thanos, so you wish to have a character who could tank hits from Odin and etc. Others who aren't fans of Thanos could make the exact same argument of saying him taking those hits in the past is PIS. Blue Marvel's fight wasn't a huge change of his character, that was the original creator intent, the original writer and designer of that character wish to display him that powerful. He specifically stated he wanted to create a black hero that was among the most powerful in the MU. With that said, established history isn't nearly as strong of a pointer as it use to be. Remember this is a brand new universe, with new rules and new mechanics, very similar to the rebirth of the new 52. As such, it's quite possible a lot of people power feats and capabilities have change.

In the end though, with those characters involve, there was way too much power for thanos to handle alone, that's why I don't mind him going down that fast if it was a head to head fight. The problem is, it shouldn't have been a head to head fight. I've already discussed how he should have used cunning to take down the team instead of brute force. But if he was going to take on a team as powerful as what was established, that's how I imagine how he would go down. There's just too much power on that side for him to handle alone.
    Hell, if I remember correctly, a blast from either Blue Marvel or Spectrum knocked back Galactus in the ultimates issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star Saber View Post
    I'm not sure even scheming Norman Osbron can be considered that well developed - aside from parlaying the killing of the Skrull Queen into becoming head of Hammer - not sure what else can be defined as a really scheming character, and even that felt forced - seriously no one even thought that turning the Green Goblin into the head of the nation's top law enforcement agency was a bad idea? The best during the era was probably Norman trying to acquire Tony's armory and that wasn't a Bendis book.
    Oh he was scheming, not saying the best scheming by any means, but it's the best scheming that Bendis has written for a character. A lot of it required suspension of belief of course, and I mean a whole lot. But at least it shown bendis could somewhat write a character whose primary method of force was scheming, from kidnapping Luke Cage's daughter, to planting a device in Luke Cage's chest. So Bendis's Thanos could still have the bare bones of scheming going on, because he has proven he can write at least a low tier level of scheming, but we couldn't even get that with Thanos. Instead, we got Cable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Completely disagree, PIS is what people wish to believe. You're a fan of Thanos, so you wish to have a character who could tank hits from Odin and etc. Others who aren't fans of Thanos could make the exact same argument of saying him taking those hits in the past is PIS. Blue Marvel's fight wasn't a huge change of his character, that was the original creator intent, the original writer and designer of that character wish to display him that powerful. He specifically stated he wanted to create a black hero that was among the most powerful in the MU. With that said, established history isn't nearly as strong of a pointer as it use to be. Remember this is a brand new universe, with new rules and new mechanics, very similar to the rebirth of the new 52. As such, it's quite possible a lot of people power feats and capabilities have change.

In the end though, with those characters involve, there was way too much power for thanos to handle alone, that's why I don't mind him going down that fast if it was a head to head fight. The problem is, it shouldn't have been a head to head fight. I've already discussed how he should have used cunning to take down the team instead of brute force. But if he was going to take on a team as powerful as what was established, that's how I imagine how he would go down. There's just too much power on that side for him to handle alone.
    Hell, if I remember correctly, a blast from either Blue Marvel or Spectrum knocked back Galactus in the ultimates issue.
    Eh, Thanos was tanking hits and being a cosmic Doom for years, he was always a "heavy hitter". Blue Marvel's introduction was handled poorly, because his display of power was so great, that he essentially felt like an OP OC. I get why the writer did it, but I dont have to like it. You slowly build up to such power, you don't simply have your character fly in and kick everyone's ass just cause you "wanted to". All the other characters were already established, had certain power levels and hierarchy, and here come this "new kid on the block" and takes on everyone. It's kinda silly, is all I'm saying. As for Monica/Adam/Carol, they just made him loose his step, and even then there was negative feedback.

Either way, I respectfully dissagree and believe that established history should be a priority over contrived storytelling. It's not the worst thing ever, and a good story is a priority, but I don't really like it when such fights take place. It's all subjective of course, so it's a moot point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Eh, Thanos was tanking hits and being a cosmic Doom for years, he was always a "heavy hitter". Blue Marvel's introduction was handled poorly, because his display of power was so great, that he essentially felt like an OP OC. I get why the writer did it, but I dont have to like it. You slowly build up to such power, you don't simply have your character fly in and kick everyone's ass just cause you "wanted to". All the other characters were already established, had certain power levels and hierarchy, and here come this "new kid on the block" and takes on everyone. It's kinda silly, is all I'm saying. As for Monica/Adam/Carol, they just made him loose his step, and even then there was negative feedback.

Either way, I respectfully dissagree and believe that established history should be a priority over contrived storytelling. It's not the worst thing ever, and a good story is a priority, but I don't really like it when such fights take place. It's all subjective of course, so it's a moot point.
    Exactly, it's all subjective. You believe BM introduction was handled poorly, I believe it truly established himself was one of the greats, notice how we're now seeing him showing up for a while, and has a good size following, while other very few BM powerhouses have completely disappeared. If I remember correctly, the only other class 100 bm characters were Rage, who vanished, and that one character that was part of the infinity gems. You best believe a large part of that is how the writer cemented this character as one of the most powerful heroes in the MU. He filled a much needed void and in a major way. Thanos tanking hits was relatively varied. For example, he definitely wasn't/isn't on the level of Galactus. The blast he took from Galactus was from him creating a shield that was able to deflect the blast, and that was only for a short time. It definitely didn't bounce off him unharm by any means. Regarding Monica/Adam/Carol, Monica specifically stated he was staggered, that's definitely more then lose his step, the blast was strong enough to knock him into that containment field. Regarding their being negative feedback, that's bound to happen no matter what people do. If the situation was reverse and Galactus didn't respond at all to any of the blasts, there also would have been negative feedback. You can't escape it and thus you tell the story you believe is correct.

In any case, I definitely believe he is a heavy hitter. But against the Ultimates alone, let alone the combine fight with all the established heroes there, Thanos hand to hand should have/did get mangled. But as mentioned before, that should not have been the way he approach the fight to begin with. He's not stupid enough to go into a fight being overpowered. He would have been cunning and picked them off one by one or at least attempted to.