Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Welp, they didn't confirm that Rhodey is actually dead from that, but given how Bendis is totally setting up a new war machine character in Invincible Iron Man I would be shocked if he doesn't die.
    Maybe Rhodey will just end up like he was in the movies.

Even if Bendis did kill him he usually brings back the people he kills.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Bendis has been getting top notch artists since he created Miles Morales, so that won't be a problem. I just wish he would stay in his lane with Street Level stuff. This is what, the fourth event he's written, and he hasn't really improved at it.
    The worse part is that Bendis KNOWS his work sparks controversy and yet he still does it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    But that's the one that bendis made, and he'll be damned if someone tries to make changes to what he likes.
    Well, this story was drawn by Cheung, and given how slow he tends to be, he might have done it before Dazzler's costume change was even announced.

Yeah, I think it was just done before, no big deal behind it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Squirrel girl kicked Thanos' ass at least once, so they should had asked her instead.
    Lol cmon man that's not fair.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Well, this story was drawn by Cheung, and given how slow he tends to be, he might have done it before Dazzler's costume change was even announced.
    I suppose that is a possibility, especially with him drawing the new spiderman story.

I'm still going to believe my theory because i' ma salty fan though haha.

what issue is the character supposed to die in? i thought there was a specific issue in the solicits or maybe it was a tie-in for the funeral..

i'm actually starting to believe it may be a swerve.
    the new "war machine" in invincible iron man, blatantly showing rhodey and she-hulk in dire situations in this fcbd preview before the event even kicks off, the placement of those two in the covers with iron man and cap marvel with the advertisement that a major MU character will die...

or maybe i'm giving them too much credit in the savvy department

Mighty Member

the 'death' I believe is in issue 2, possibly 3.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    I was a defender of the event when they announced it...
    now, not so much. this looks really bad guys. hopefully marquez can save the day with the art.
    It's Bendis. He doesn't play well with others, and never has. He's always at his best in his own sandbox, away from anything like shared continuity. Because he doesn't actually care, he's doing it his way because he can and you'll like it because he said so. Add in the fact that he hasn't written an event yet that wasn't dull, or without an anticlimax of an ending, and yeah, this was ALWAYS going to suck.

I'm just curious how much Civil War will actually be in Civil War 2. Secret Invasion stopped being about the secret invasion in the first issue, and was a painfully generic action story the rest of the way. I half expect the conflict between the heroes to just be window dressing for whatever character assassination Bendis has planned next.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    It's Bendis. He doesn't play well with others, and never has. He's always at his best in his own sandbox, away from anything like shared continuity. Because he doesn't actually care, he's doing it his way because he can and you'll like it because he said so. Add in the fact that he hasn't written an event yet that wasn't dull, or without an anticlimax of an ending, and yeah, this was ALWAYS going to suck.

I'm just curious how much Civil War will actually be in Civil War 2. Secret Invasion stopped being about the secret invasion in the first issue, and was a painfully generic action story the rest of the way. I half expect the conflict between the heroes to just be window dressing for whatever character assassination Bendis has planned next.
    You mean like how badly written the original x-men were at time in his book or how avengers was destroyed so he can have wolverine and spider-man in avengers? "I mean having fan favorite avengers like Wonder Man (who he royally screwed over badly) and She-Hulk on team would be to easy and so last week. We got to have wolverine appear in a billion books and spider-man's reason for never actually being an avenger being moot. Enjoy our badly written, poorly executed, badly mangled avengers books"

To civil war 2 being more like civil war nothing would happen for several issues. All the important things would happen in other books. Then the big death wouldn't even happen in issue #3 as solicited

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Just recently Ales Kot had a pretty cool WAR MACHINE book out. Eh well, Rhodes will be back next Tuesday.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I think you guys are overexaggerating because Bendis is so hated. Anyway I thought it was a decent teaser to Civil War II. Here are a few thoughts.
    1. Okay wow, Black Panther's dialogue was extremely weird. Can't tell if he was sarcastic, or if he was genuinely disgusted by... Kissing?!
    2. Idk why Thanos is using guns. I don't think it really matters though.
    3. I guess that was supposed to be a pretty strong missle.
    4. Pretty cool death scene for Rhodey.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    ...Read it... It had a severe case of the lethal disease known as "The Bendis". Honestly, it's just... bad...
    My oh my FCBD Civil War II was terrible. Frickin' Punisher Thanos. He must keep his arsenal in the Thanoscopter. The dialogue was atrocious.

Cap was actually alright, though, I kept thinking new Falcon was Reptil due to his powers and color scheme. He is also latino, so why the need for another new character when an old one could have fit and been just as interesting.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Why does Marvel keep hiring Bendis to write these events? As of lately all of his team books have been dreadful. He is fine when he writes solo street level books, but this issue alone is proof that CWII is bound to be some other useless event that didn't need to happen.

I can already tell Carol will be heavily sh*$ on and disrespected everywhere. And my poor She-Hulk...She should easily recover from that.
    Bendis is the Michael Bay & Zack Snyder of comics. People know who he is, he practcally ignores the proper direction, he can sell something, and it's always full of the same crap.
    Last edited by whiterabbit; 05-08-2016 at 12:01 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I think you guys are overexaggerating because Bendis is so hated..
    Not really. I don't hate Bendis at all. Powers is awesome, what I've read of his Ultimate Spider-Man was quite good, if super decompressed and his Daredevil is a modern masterpiece. Seriously, it's probably the greatest run on a big 2 comic of the 21st century so far. Character redefining stuff in there. He not only sells comics, when he's at his best he's truly one of the best in the industry today.

But he's always struggled with the sharing part of the shared universe. The way he sees a character is the way you're getting them, pretty much regardless of what anybody else (even the person writing that character's solo at the time), has to say about it. Every appearance is that he's just about pathologically incapable of following any other writer's lead. When he's got his own little corner of the world to play in, and he doesn't have to conform to a larger continuity as much, he can be truly great. But event comics are the polar opposite of that.

When you combine that with the fact that his stylistic sensibilities simply don't favor the more powerful characters out there (your Captain Marvels, Silver Surfers, other cosmics), it can lead to some fairly obvious problems. Bendis writing Thanos (and this isn't the first time) is pretty much the perfect storm of all the things that Bendis doesn't do well. Whereas Bendis on DD was synergistic perfection. Events, or big crossovers in general, and especially those that want to use the more powerful and complex characters in the MU, aren't the best place for Bendis' talents. To make a sports analogy, it's like bringing in your closer to pinch hit. Their particular skill set is just ill suited to that situation, and nobody involved is getting the best from anybody out of it.

Bendis sells comics. I have little doubt Civil War 2 will be a financial success for Marvel. But the odds are seriously stacked against it being any good.