Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default I tell people "I told you so."

Not because I enjoy it or because I want to gloat. Well, I do, but that's not the reason I tell them.

I do it because if I've had a long and heated dispute with someone, and I turn out to be right, they're probably going to "forget" that I told them so, and they're probably going to "remember" that they thought all along it would turn out that way.

I know you're not supposed to tell people that you told them so, but if you don't then very often they won't learn from the experience.

I do it to gloat and to shame them. Because I don't do it when I guess right about a ball game or the plot of a TV show, but when they insist on something that is demonstrably false or when they do something that others repeatedly warn them is a bad idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I do it to gloat and to shame them. Because I don't do it when I guess right about a ball game or the plot of a TV show, but when they insist on something that is demonstrably false or when they do something that others repeatedly warn them is a bad idea.
    I think what annoys me the most is when you tell someone not to do something, and they do it anyway and screw up. And they screw up in exactly the way you said they would. But they learn no humility from the experience. They argue just as adamantly with you on the next go-around.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

This is a thread started by someone about how they could toot their own horn, but don't? But, could. But, don't?

Have we all learned something, then?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    This is a thread started by someone about how they could toot their own horn, but don't? But, could. But, don't?

Have we all learned something, then?
    I just told you, I DO tell people I told them so.

Football coach Jimmy Johnson said there's no point in winning if you don't get to gloat. I don't see it that way, but if someone has been an ass and has turned out to be wrong, I let them know that I haven't forgotten about it.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-07-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I just told you, I DO tell people I told them so.
    I didn't say you didn't.

I asked if this was a thread you started to tell us you don't toot your own horn, a phrase that denotes bragging or gloating. Which, maybe you do. But, you said, in your post, that you didn't.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I'm the opposite, in real life I basically only do it over trivial stuff like TV show plots etc. I'll be like, "See! I told you that guy was the killer!" It used to annoy an old girlfriend of mine. She be like, "Whatever! Shut up, Mr Producer!" If I was wrong, she'd gloat, "What? Mr Producer was wrong? Heh, heh.."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm the opposite, in real life I basically only do it over trivial stuff like TV show plots etc. I'll be like, "See! I told you that guy was the killer!" It used to annoy an old girlfriend of mine. She be like, "Whatever! Shut up, Mr Producer!" If I was wrong, she'd gloat, "What? Mr Producer was wrong? Heh, heh.."
    Let me give you an example. I opposed the invasion of Iraq, and several people were really, really nasty to me about it. Well, how did that turn out? Yet if you listen for any apologies from the people who planned and supported that disaster, the silence will deafen you.

People like that need to be reminded that you told them so. Otherwise they'll conveniently forget about it.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-07-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Look, the important thing here is that you feel good about yourself for making other people feel like shit. As long as you've done that , you can die with no regrets.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Let me give you an example. I opposed the invasion of Iraq, and several people were really, really nasty to me about it. Well, how did that turn out? Yet if you listen for any apologies from the people who planned and supported that disaster, the silence will deafen you.

People like that need to be reminded that you told them so. Otherwise they'll conveniently forget about it.
    Yeah, see...if I'm going to gloat, I'm going to gloat over Jay Cutler or Beyonce. I try not to gloat too much over people dying overseas...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Look, the important thing here is that you feel good about yourself for making other people feel like shit. As long as you've done that , you can die with no regrets.
    LOL! (ten characters)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah, see...if I'm going to gloat, I'm going to gloat over Jay Cutler or Beyonce. I try not to gloat too much over people dying overseas...
    It's not gloating about Iraq. People were sent over there to die for no reason, and the people who were SO WRONG about making that happen haven't been held to account, let alone have they apologized of their own volition. That's human nature. Success has a thousand fathers, and failure is always an orphan.

BANNED

I prefer folding my arms and going "well, actually..."

BANNED

There is a couple of problems with ops post. One: he makes about 20 post a month saying what dc should do so it was really only a question about time before some of them happened. Two: op says stuff like dc took his ideas despite several people have made them two and then he acts like noone at dc could have had the same idea without his input. Three: he has also made a lot of quite frankly wierd idea like all comics should have the exact same amount of frames or picture and that the artist will love that because artists love being limited like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Well sure, there is that too.It's great to make people who are wrong feel bad, but if you can feel good as well....BONUS!!