Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I'm against all this Rebirth stuff, but I have to hand it to them, that is a good series of pages. Nice artwork, looks like a classic Superman stories with a reporter and Jimmy as a photographer, a bank robbery with armored bad guys, and Superman to the rescue letting bullet bounce off him and flying out with bad guys in tow, except... Superman is... Lex Luthor, which is kind of a cool swerve, because you know *that* will be temporary. And everybody in the preview is from our universe.

The problem comes in that the real Superman from this universe appears like he is dead or otherwise off the books permanently (Unless sales tank), and I've put a lot into those stories. And his replacement, a Superman (Who was Clark Kent in his universe) from another universe who's main purpose seems to be to promote his ten year old Superhero Son, is not appealing to me at all. If that issue leads to a conflict between Lex Luthor's Superman and Jon White's Superman, I'm rooting for the Lex Luthor version.

I'm taking this issue by issue and don't know what I'm buying or not buying yet (I used to subscribe in the new52 era), but I will say that the early Action Comics solicitations and now preview look more up my alley than the Superman title. AC seems like more Superman type stuff and less "How to raise a 10 year old Superhero who is better than you in every way" than the actual Superman title's solicitations. Maybe I'll just get AC and not Superman. I think that'd be the way I'd lean at this second if I were going to pick one of the two titles- and it's not about the authors, it's about what I am seeing of the summaries of the story lines and stuff in the solicitations that are going out to retailers.

The first three issues of Action Comics after Rebirth seem to be more about PF Superman (Wrong version, but an adult Superman, at least), Lex Luthor, Doomsday, the Daily Planet, and a mysterious Clark Kent, with only the third issue's solicitation mentioning Jon, and it saying that Lois is trying to keep him away from danger (Which is what you should be doing with a child, not sending him out to fight), whereas the early Superman title has solicitations that seems parenting and 10-year old Superhero centric, and only mention anything else at all in like the third issue when the Eradicator comes up, and even that turns out to a bummer for those of us who don't like Jon, because it sounds like they plan to have Superman lose and retreat, and a 10 year old save the day, which I highly doubt I would buy.
    I'm just not sure where you're getting this from, I'm afraid. They never said anyone was better than anyone else and they certainly never said Superman retreats and leaves his son.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I think all of this hysteria over the idea a 10 year old is taking over and will be the main focus of the entire Superman line is based really on nothing concrete. He's going to be a support character at best in most of tje books and actually only star in Super Sons, which can be easily avoided.

The main star is still Superman. Yes he may be from another continuity but he's still Superman. Its ok not to be excited over the situation with Nuperman being swapped out for Superdad, but making up reasons or jumping to conclusions in order to try and validate why you aren't going to read the books goes a little far. I mean if you don't like it? Don't buy it.

Just because there's a 10 year old kid as a member of the cast doesn't automatically mean suddenly the story content gets " kiddie- fied" or become aimed at preschool aged kids. That kinda stuff is pure hyperbole.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-07-2016 at 02:57 PM.

If there's one good thing that could come from this with having Jurgens around again, it would be hopefully a re-creation of the post-Crisis Metropolis supporting cast. That I still love and always will. Whether that's Maggie or not in the preview, I would anticipate him trying to bring some familiar faces back on that front.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If there's one good thing that could come from this with having Jurgens around again, it would be hopefully a re-creation of the post-Crisis Metropolis supporting cast. That I still love and always will. Whether that's Maggie or not in the preview, I would anticipate him trying to bring some familiar faces back on that front.
    Right. Despite the shared brand recognition, Metropolis isn't nearly as fleshed out as Gotham

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    That cop... Is that Sawyer.....? Someone new?
    I hope it is. would be great if jurgens rbing back sawyer, he already got patrick zyrcher that is a great artist

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Don't know if anyone's seen it yet, but here's Patch Zircher's Superman for Action. Looks really nice.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

MSCU! Rucka was really building those guys up into a legitimate cast of characters before Infinite Crisis smashed a train into the side of it.

Still, what we are getting in terms of direction is not worth the price of admission.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Don't know if anyone's seen it yet, but here's Patch Zircher's Superman for Action. Looks really nice.

Looks fantastic. Close enough to the Henry Cavill suit, yet still comic-y.

He actually does look a bit older/weathered in that drawing, as opposed to how young he looked in other promo materials.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

You know... I wonder if Lex actually gets powers or maybe his suit is just mimicking Superman's. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just the suit. I wonder how it's different from the others

Dat art...man oh man...

One thing I think we can all agree on is that it looks like the art on the Superman books is gonna rock hard for the next few months.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-07-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I miss that cast. metropolis felt alive. It got beyond the pale somewhere around 1997 or so where Superman got pushed aside, but from 1990-1996 you had the greatest supporting cast ever in comics and made you care about everyone, particularly Superman himself. We need more of that and less mindless over long crossovers

Spectacular Member BeefBourguignon's Avatar

Yes, the Post-Crisis supporting cast of Maggie Sawyer, Terrible Turpin, Emil Hamilton, Bibbo, Cadmus and Newsboy Legion, Jose Delgado, etc. was very important to the books. New 52 Superman and this whole "Super Friends" supporting cast only serves to make him more detached from humanity. I do not like it. I hope with return of Pre-FP Superman we get a good supporting cast again!

Amazing Member

soo it's easy to assume that lex is one of the ppl who got the superman power from his death.....now That's just bad

to be fair this lex is not the same as the pre 52 lex

he handled himself greatly but can he really keep up with all those powers

Quote Originally Posted by gtomanga View Post
    soo it's easy to assume that lex is one of the ppl who got the superman power from his death.....now That's just bad

to be fair this lex is not the same as the pre 52 lex

he handled himself greatly but can he really keep up with all those powers
    More than likely Lex gets his powers (assuming he has powers and he's not just getting these abilities from the armor) from the events of Darkseid war.

What I do hope is that if the holcrux/ katra theory has any validity that Lex possesses at least a portion of Nuperman's essence.