Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Captain America: Civil War" Opens With $75.3 Million at U.S. Box Office

The Marvel Studios sequel will likely surpass "Iron Man 3" as the fifth-highest opening weekend of all time.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

So no $200 million opening weekend ouch for Marvel I guess there $210+ was wishful thinking.

Amazing Member

What a great movie.Enjoyed every bit of it.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kumagawa View Post
    So no $200 million opening weekend ouch for Marvel I guess there $210+ was wishful thinking.
    How is it ouch? 200m was an absurd prediction to begin with. Need to take into account that this is a long film & it's under the Captain America umbrella and not Avengers & general interest in the MCU is fading slightly.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kumagawa View Post
    Disney had their tracking at $175m not $200m.

They never said $200m, some industry insiders did.

Like I said from the beginning
    In order to do the 200mil+ opening weekend it needed to triple the business that TWS did and that just seemed unlikely
    Captain America is not the Avengers branding

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Like I said from the beginning
    In order to do the 200mil+ opening weekend it needed to triple the business that TWS did and that just seemed unlikely
    Captain America is not the Avengers branding
    Civil War might as well be Avengers 2.5 considering the number of costumed characters involved.

Fantastic Member

You wonder if

A: The negative reception that BvS got kept some casual viewers away from theaters.
    B: The month long delay from the reviews.

I am convinced that that month long wait did damage. If it had released the same week of the reviews, I think it would have gone over $200m.

Disappointing but not a failure at all, just like BvS for that matter. In fact, Disney saying it would be happy with 175m is like WB saying it would be happy with 800m total gross.
    Last edited by eckesg1; 05-07-2016 at 11:27 AM.

BANNED

Less than BvS on Thursday.

Less than BvS on Friday.

Its going to be funny watching the BvS haters squirm as they try to excuse this away.

I liked both movies.

Marvel screwed up this release. It got shown to people like a month ago. Overseas releases 1 or 2 weeks before. I bet this movie got pirated like crazy because people couldn't wait
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post

Less than BvS on Friday.

Its going to be funny watching the BvS haters squirm as they try to excuse this away.

I liked both movies.
    As long as it doesn't take a Friday to Sunday dive far exceeding the drop of any Marvel Studios movie ever, as BvS did, then it should still come out ahead for the weekend. Both openings are huge, no doubt, but it appears to just be a matter of the BvS audience really wanting to see it right away, and the probably slightly broader audience for Marvel movies being more a mix of superfans and more casual viewers who'll go later in the weekend. Marvel movies have a pretty well established pattern for how they play over the course of opening weekend, and it's hard to imagine Civil War being a major outlier given its generally positive critical/audience reception, but who knows. I guess we can wait til Sunday before saying "yeah, it played to type," I'm just saying I'll be pretty surprised if it doesn't.

p.s. how was that? Funny?

Oh, and you know, I doubt screening it for critics early and opening first overseas had any real effect. Those of us who are actually watching for reviews weeks before a movie comes out make up a very negligible fraction of the audience, I think; by and large those millions come from people who probably don't know a Mjolnir from a Mind Stone. Most of the publications that ran their reviews as soon as the embargo lifted have a reader base that is more curated and niche and probably in the bag for an opening weekend ticket anyway, while more general ones mostly waited until week of release in their domestic territory.

As far opening first overseas, it only opened a week earlier, and every Marvel Studios movie has done that since "phase 1." It didn't seem to hurt the Avengers flicks, Iron Man 3, etc.

All-New Member

Hey guys! A small starting YouTube channel here and Judy wanted to put up a civil war review we did to start having people interact with us! Criticism accepted! Here's the link https://youtu.be/sqOFJzKSYhg! Search Geek Seek Productions on YouTube to find us!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Marvel screwed up this release. It got shown to people like a month ago. Overseas releases 1 or 2 weeks before. I bet this movie got pirated like crazy because people couldn't wait
    Eh who watches Cam copies these days I'm sure piraters aren't that desperate lol. I think it's because the must see factor has slightly faded which is why I think it'll still have a great legs just people aren't rushing out to see it.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post

Less than BvS on Friday.

I liked both movies.
    How funny will it be when CW ends up beating BvS by over $100 million domestic and 3-500 million world wide?