Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    I'm not singling anyone out specifically, but I honestly feel like some people's bad opinion about this movie is being fueled by the poor reception most everyone had to BvS. Some of the "issues" that people are taking with this film are kinda petty and ridiculous. Are comicbook fans really such a sensitive group that they would hate something out of spite? Oh wait, I've been in this community for 25 years, what am I saying? Of course they would express hate for something out of spite.

This was an incredible movie. Yeah, opinions are opinions, but a lot of the negative opinions I'm seeing are founded in the smallest of things. No film is perfect, especially a summer blockbuster. Civil War is no exception, but the shortcomings of this movie pale in comparison to everything that it got right.
    There a lot of ppl who hated BvS out of spite and didn't even see the movie. I enjoyed both movies but the CW had some of the same issues BvS had and those imperfections being for the most part ignored does show some bias.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    I'm not singling anyone out specifically, but I honestly feel like some people's bad opinion about this movie is being fueled by the poor reception most everyone had to BvS.
    Agreed. I can see where people just don't like the movie but to rant about how poor Civil War was done makes me question how valid some of these posters are. To me it's just sour grapes about the negative reception BVS received.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    There a lot of ppl who hated BvS out of spite and didn't even see the movie. I enjoyed both movies but the CW had some of the same issues BvS had and those imperfections being for the most part ignored does show some bias.
    The difference is there was critical support for that opinion as well as a consensus among most members of the audience. It was okay but not great. I think BvS might have gotten more of a "pass" on some of its issues had it not been so determined to be taken seriously. At least from what I've read, I confess to having not actually watched it.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Extraordinary Member

81% of votes so far on IMDB give Civil War it 8 or above.

Meanwhile, 17% of voters give BVS 5 or less. In comparison, CW's votes of 5 or less make up only 5% of the votes so far.

And the percentage of BVS 1 votes has actually gone up a little.
    Last edited by brettc1; 05-07-2016 at 07:03 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    As for box office numbers, I myself doubt anything will be able to top Zootopia this year. But that's just me.
    Rogue One comes out at Christmas. And Finding Dory could surpass it this summer. And maybe the Potter prequel, it's tough to gage the interest in it this early on.
    But interestingly enough, Zootopia will probably surpass BvS' domestic BO this weekend due to the latter's phenomenal nosedive.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    How funny will it be when CW ends up beating BvS by over $100 million domestic and 3-500 million world wide?
    Yeah because BvS had terrible word of mouth, if it had the same reception CW does it would probably have made more than whatever CW ends up with. The fact that what is essentially Avengers 2.5 with great reviews is barely beating a horribly reviewed MOS sequel on ow isn't something to brag about. I don't want to turn this I to a Marvel vs DC thing but let's be honest if Civil War had the same reviews as BvS it would have made much less than BvS did.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Like i said in other thread, the grimdark makes much easier to spot the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Yeah because BvS had terrible word of mouth, if it had the same reception CW does it would probably have made more than whatever CW ends up with. The fact that what is essentially Avengers 2.5 with great reviews is barely beating a horribly reviewed MOS sequel on ow isn't something to brag about. I don't want to turn this I to a Marvel vs DC thing but let's be honest if Civil War had the same reviews as BvS it would have made much less than BvS did.
    I think that we should wait until the weekend is over.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Like i said in other thread, the grimdark makes much easier to spot the holes.

I think that we should wait until the weekend is over.
    I'm just saying it's funny how people always bash BvS's box office when even with horrible reviews it had bigger Thursday and Friday #'s than this (81m vs 75m Fri) BvS may have been a box office disappointment but it's opening showed it could have been huge, Avengers or Jurassic World huge, if it had reviews like this does.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    One reason I want this movie to do better than BVS is so WB gets the message and doesn't make the same mistakes on Wonder Woman.
    And what message would that be?

Given that WW has been filming for some time, wouldn't any "message" potentially cause big disruptions? How often does a studio shifting gears in the middle of production turn out very well? Do we want a Fant4stic, two different films cut and pasted into one big mess?

WW fights Batman because he wants to kill Steve? WW recruits Aquaman and Martian Manhunter while Batman recruits Flash and Cyborg? So, basically, you want Flashpoint? But with more Spiderman quips.

I have little doubt that Civil War will beat BvS, probably by a big chunk of change. But I would be cautious about trying to use that to change direction for WW at this point.

Mighty Member

Pay attention, it was a BvS supporter that brought this up. And if BvS was as good as CW it would have made more? Well duh, it should it has characters who have been built up for many years in many incarnations in movies and TV. BvS made more for a day and that is what they find to brag about. It's sad really it has come to this.

BvS being bad really doesn't help anybody. AAMOF it could have hurt CW's opening weekend with people who felt burned by BvS. They might decide to pass on a similar movie or at least to wait for other people they trust to see it.

I'm just saying it's funny how people always bash BvS's box office when even with horrible reviews it had bigger Thursday and Friday #'s than this (81m vs 75m Fri) BvS may have been a box office disappointment but it's opening showed it could have been huge, Avengers or Jurassic World huge, if it had reviews like this does.
    I.e. if Snyder wasnt obsessed with grimdark.

Extraordinary Member

It's barely beating it now because about the same numbers flocked to see BVS with the expectation of it being epic.

The difference is likely to come in the following days and weeks.

Just because two runners are neck and neck off the blocks doesn't mean the race will end in a tie
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    And what message would that be?

Given that WW has been filming for some time, wouldn't any "message" potentially cause big disruptions? How often does a studio shifting gears in the middle of production turn out very well? Do we want a Fant4stic, two different films cut and pasted into one big mess?

WW fights Batman because he wants to kill Steve? WW recruits Aquaman and Martian Manhunter while Batman recruits Flash and Cyborg? So, basically, you want Flashpoint? But with more Spiderman quips.

I have little doubt that Civil War will beat BvS, probably by a big chunk of change. But I would be cautious about trying to use that to change direction for WW at this point.
    WOW, you put so many words in my mouth I'm surprised you had any left for yourself.

Even better editing post production could have helped BVS. Phantom Menace went out with no challenge to Lucas' vision and is the worse for it.

Opening weekends are bulletproof. Especially when the reviews come out the same day the movie opens. And doubly especially if the movie open the same day in the entire world. It's the following weeks that the bullets start penetrating the armor.
    With Cap's Civil War, the reviews came out early and were good and it opened in foreign countries about a week before and did well, so people aren't buying a pig in a polk. So here we are seeing the results of good word of mouth. So you can't really compare the two because two entirely different marketing strategies were used. The first, get everyone to watch it at once because WB had no faith in the movie. The second is to open it gradually and let good word of mouth spread because Disney had faith in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Less than BvS on Thursday.

Less than BvS on Friday.

Its going to be funny watching the BvS haters squirm as they try to excuse this away.

I liked both movies.
    Not having watched BvS I dont have a view on it apart from apathy, but the real test of this competition (if you want to see it as one) will be the second weekend. That was when BvS suddenly went down and trailing weekends were not even as forcast for Star Wars so rewatch and word of mouth audience is tricky to forcast. I know that my less than glowing reaction when friends have asked me about Civil War is unlikely to get them to shell out for tickets if they hadn't already planned to.