Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

If there was enough space in his suit could it then work? Like if there were room between his body and the suit could he then place all the machinery in that? In miniature size and evenly distributed?
    The only question then is, if the jetboots can provide enough lift for Tony to fly longer than a few minutes.
    Last edited by Taiga; 05-08-2016 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
    If there was enough space in his suit could it then work? Like if there were room between his body and the suit could he then place all the machinery in that?
    Possibly, if it was the size of the original Mark I armor:

All-New Member

So this means there's no logical explanation where the mechanics for his jetboots are located and especially where he hides his fuel, doesn't it?
    So in concluison jetboots in real-life have to be enormous big. Or is it possible that the whole mechaic fits in a tiny jetboot out of iron and we just need an extra bag full of fuel?

And speaking of fuel, is it even mentioned in the comics which kind of fuel Tony Stark uses? ^^

Invincible Member

So this means there's no logical explanation where the mechanics for his jetboots are located and especially where he hides his fuel, doesn't it?
    So in concluison jetboots in real-life have to be enormous big. Or is it possible that the whole mechaic fits in a tiny jetboot out of iron and we just need an extra bag full of fuel?

And speaking of fuel, is it even mentioned in the comics which kind of fuel Tony Stark uses? ^^
    I can't recall any mentions of fuel in the older comics. Mostly, his suit was powered by either electricity or solar power.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I can't recall any mentions of fuel in the older comics. Mostly, his suit was powered by either electricity or solar power.
    But even if the suit is powered by electricity he still needs to eject mass in order to use the repulsion to move forward. But if there's no fuel floating between him and the suit he hasn't got any mass to eject.
    Could it be that he uses a different kind of impulsion to fly? Or is it simply impossible to use those jetboots in real-life?

Invincible Member

But even if the suit is powered by electricity he still needs to eject mass in order to use the repulsion to move forward. But if there's no fuel floating between him and the suit he hasn't got any mass to eject.
    Could it be that he uses a different kind of impulsion to fly? Or is it simply impossible to use those jetboots in real-life?
    I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure that those jet boots are impossible. Stan would do stuff that just sounded cool to him and never did any research. Don't forget that in the 60's comics, somehow Tony was able to fit his armor in a normal looking briefcase.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I'm not sure about the earlier models, but I'm pretty sure current Iron Man tech uses "repulsor" technology for not only his attack beams, but also his "rocket" boots. I think this has been the explanation for a while, but it certainly has with the movies and in the comics since then.

Repulsor beams, I think, are concentrated beams of pure kinetic force. It not only can do blunt force damage against things, but it also has a kick-back effect for the projecting device. In the first movie, using a low-blast beam in a test run, wearing only the gauntlet, Stark was sent flying back when he made the shot. The suit can likely prevent itself from being knocked around every time he shoots an energy blast, due to internal internal mechanics locking into place to better brace against the kickback, as well as it's sheer weight. But when he wants to fly, he will usually use both boots and gauntlets in tandem to not only fly, but stabilize himself in flight. It's purely made up sci-fi technology, just like force-fields and hard-light holograms. Because of this, they can just make up whatever they want in terms of fuel requirements.

Likewise, since at least the movies, but probably earlier than that, Stark uses some kind of super-small, super tech energy reactor, which effectively provides endless power via... I have no earthly clue how. It isn't even like some kind of nuclear battery, it's just some kind of energy generator that uses fictional metals. Because of this, Iron Man never has to worry about fuel concerns, not unless the plot calls for it.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 05-08-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

As for real-life jet boots being possible, it may one day be, but not of that style. Current tech, you'd need some sizable rockets built into the boots, which means you're basically just standing on a jet pack. This pack would need to be very carefully calculated to now deal with a much more unstable weight standing on top of it, one that could very easily topple over at the slightest shift of the rocket. While I'm sure back-mounted packs have the same issue, it's not as bad when the pack is strapped to the more stable core mass of the body.

Depending on the model in question, you might be able to use a combination backpack for fuel, and boots for projection, but you're still talking about several concerns. One: a sufficiently sized and shaped barrel to provide properly directed thrust force; these aren't going to be rain boots with a slightly thicker sole, we're still talking using propane tanks as stilts. Two: how do you stabilize two powerful, independently movable rockets that could all too easily tip off balance, and suddenly, the user is flying around willy-nilly, trying to get both legs lined up. Assuming he didn't just immediately tailspin into the ground. You're ultimately going to want the boots to lock into place when attempting flight. And once again, even then, you're going to have to worry about weight distribution, and the fact that even leaning over or bending your knees is going to fuck with your stability.

Truthfully, probably the most stable method of one-person flight is some kind of drone-style VTOL propeller system. But even then, you probably would just do better using a one-man small helicopter for balance, fuel, and lift capacity.

Yeah due to comic book physics and real world physics. The Jet Boots do not really work.

As for fuel: Tony's whole suit is wired to the uni beam chest heart thing Inthought and that pumped the power like a heart or something. Otherwise if using re fuel would need tanks at feet jets, which would be bunker able kill me points in a super fight.

The other issue is the material of Starks suit would need to shield him from kinetic energy or heat friction or he would lose his legs.

Really the most plausible thing I can think of is zero point/ kinetic energy filter system. In order to propel/ brake the suit in action without breaking anything.

As Titanium and Gold by themselves are not going to do it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Transistors are awesome.

Repulsors are amazing.

And, when you combine those with vectoring and baffling and other seemingly appropriate technical terms: Magic!
    Don't forget arcing and buffering. And maybe throw in some Bernoulli-ing.

Extraordinary Member

pencils,ink. computer color and in the movies cgi.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Don't forget arcing and buffering. And maybe throw in some Bernoulli-ing.
    There's an excellent Stark Effect joke in Iron Man 2, which was kinda the word-game/stealth-joke movie of the Marvel set.

I'm a little in love with "arc reactor," though. Even better, "arc reactor technology."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    There's an excellent Stark Effect joke in Iron Man 2, which was kinda the word-game/stealth-joke movie of the Marvel set.

I'm a little in love with "arc reactor," though. Even better, "arc reactor technology."
    No fair. What's the joke...? :-)
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    No fair. What's the joke...? :-)
    When Tony is trying to understand this father and his father's work, his place in that, he reexamines his dad's old notes. The elder Stark, from which the three main geniuses of the movie derive much of their life ("he's like a father to us all"), was apparently fond of scribbling down equations dealing with that effect.

They could get the same splitting/perturbations motif other ways, but, y'know, Stark. It's cute. Like the "make salute" (salyut, Russian for fireworks) or the bit about James Joyce writing in crayon.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Ironman boots allows him to move through the air like water. Think of that scene from WB11 Superman v. That parasite guy in pink. He absorbed a shark and now he moves like a shark in water. However for Ironman his suit is designed to move in a specific way based on his actions.

Tony Stark v. the Mandarin is a great example. What Tony does the Mandarin can do with magic..................I miss the green Mandarin series. Stark is science and that is how he accomplishes his goal.

You want to impress somebody, just take a hollow doll and design your own flight suit. It is not that hard really to mimic it. Another issue is size the flight ratio. Object mass and so forth. With the "if there were giant ants they would not be able to function as normal" rule. Stark power suit also have to made out of light enough material as well.

Try checking past versions of his suit maybe the answer lies there.