Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Captain America: Civil War's" $181.8 Million Opening Continues Disney Domination

The third "Captain America" movie bested the third "Iron Man" installment in a record weekend at the box office.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The third "Captain America" movie bested the third "Iron Man" installment in a record weekend at the box office.

Full article here.
    Interesting that some insiders were predicting 200m and it didn't come close. Bested BvS's opening weekend by 15m.

It's drop should not be as bad as BvS's, that's for sure.

But I don't buy that Disney would be fine with 175m. That, to me, sounds like WB being happy with 800m for BvS.

BANNED

These reports always confuse me (silly, I know).

Isn't Sunday part of the "weekend"?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Good opening for Captain America honestly. The tough part is....competition will be fiercer than what Batman V Superman faced in 2 weeks. The Nice Guys , Angry Birds : The Movie and Neighbors 2 all open in 2 weeks. I predict it holds solid the next week. Globally the film is at $675+ million worldwide.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Report is blowing it's load too soon. It should wait on Sunday's numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    These reports always confuse me (silly, I know).

Isn't Sunday part of the "weekend"?
    Yes, that number is only an estimate. But it's a number they reach based on equations and algorithms and data accumulated from all the previous weekends before it. They've got their estimations down to a science. When the actual numbers come out, they aren't off by more than a couple $100k.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Astonishing Member

I wonder how much of a factor Mother's Day. Does it hurt the matinees a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I would think so. The numbers would have been massive if they opened this on a holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Probably a factor, but no more than Easter Sunday was. People just tend to go to movies less on Sunday than they do Fri and Sat.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Good opening for Captain America honestly. The tough part is....competition will be fiercer than what Batman V Superman faced in 2 weeks. The Nice Guys , Angry Birds : The Movie and Neighbors 2 all open in 2 weeks. I predict it holds solid the next week. Globally the film is at $675+ million worldwide.
    That doesn't really sound like much competition to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Report is blowing it's load too soon. It should wait on Sunday's numbers.
    They won't change to any larger degree from the current estimates (never does), and the weekend totals are not close to any records so it does not matter.

The only competition Cap has is X-Men at the end of the month. None those movies would put a bent on Cap's earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    That doesn't really sound like much competition to me.
    The only competition Cap has is X-Men at the end of the month. None those movies would put a bent on Cap's earnings.
    An animated kids film in 2 weeks , Russell Crowe & Ryan Gosling in the Nice Guys and Seth Rogen and Zac Enfron back in a sequel to a big R rated comedy "Neighbors". Yeah its some competition. Just because its not X-Men (it arrives the 3rd week) , its 3 serious big openings in 2 weeks.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

An animated kids film in 2 weeks , Russell Crowe & Ryan Gosling in the Nice Guys and Seth Rogen and Zac Enfron back in a sequel to a big R rated comedy "Neighbors". Yeah its some competition. Just because its not X-Men (it arrives the 3rd week) , its 3 serious big openings in 2 weeks.
    I'll give you Neighbors, but Nice Guys is absolutely not going to have any impact.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Neighbors at best will debut #2 making the numbers that Civil War will make on it's second weekend. Also factor in that's the same movie with a sorority this time. I don't see it as competition at all.

Not seeing a Angry Birds as competition either. Animated movies are guaranteed success if your Disney or Dreamworks. Other companies can be hit or miss. Movies based on video games don't have a good track record. I expected Ratchet and Clank to do better than it has but that wasn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'll give you Neighbors, but Nice Guys is absolutely not going to have any impact.
    Neighbors at best will debut #2 making the numbers that Civil War will make on it's second weekend. Also factor in that's the same movie with a sorority this time. I don't see it as competition at all.

Not seeing a Angry Birds as competition either. Animated movies are guaranteed success if your Disney or Dreamworks. Other companies can be hit or miss. Movies based on video games don't have a good track record. I expected Ratchet and Clank to do better than it has but that wasn't the case.
    Angry Birds has a big video game franchise built in. I'd say its gonna do pretty decent. It will be interesting to see how Civil War fares in its 3rd weekend ...